Start by marking “The Big Wind: A Novel of Great Famine” as Want to Read:
The Big Wind: A Novel of Great Famine

The Big Wind: A Novel of Great Famine

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This monumental historic novel, often described as the "Irish Gone With the Wind", brings to life an entire generation of Irish history. The story opens on the night of the famous Big Wind of 1839, the greatest storm ever recorded in Ireland, and takes the reader through the events of the tumultuous 19th century, including the Great Famine and the land war between the star ...more
Published May 1st 1995 by Roberts Rinehart Publishers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Wind

Charlotte
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a while now. As we are approaching March, I always like to read a book about Irish history or set in Ireland. Here goes!

Well, I finally finished this incredible book! It took significantly longer than I would have liked because I had to keep putting it down to read book club books in between! The interruptions made reading The Big Wind more difficult because I would forget what proved to be important details!

I loved how the author deftly moved across t
Izzyreads
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This epic story opens on the night of 6 January 1839 with Ireland in the throes of a huge storm that devastated property, left families homeless and would live long in folk memory. It tells the story of the O'Carroll family -- landed gentry -- whose daughter falls in love with a member of their household staff. But more important than the love story is the rollicking ride through Irish nineteenth century history that Coogan provides in a colorful and highly readable family saga that spans the pe ...more
Kim
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Historical Fiction...Ireland 1830-1860s....Irish bad luck in the 1800s with Big Wind storm to Potato Blight to failed independence, and a love story. Took me 100 pages and nearly quitting before I got into this book with real interest. Oddly, the last 100 pages also bored me. Read over St Patrick's day, which was fitting.
Sharon
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An Irish Gone with the Wind. I reread this one every few years because it's so good. I couldn't wait to see some of the places when I took a trip to Ireland. The story helped me to understand more about Irish history.
Natalie  Meg Evans
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, which I read when I was 15. It was probably the kickstarter to my becoming a writer. The Irish Gone with the Wind is a fair comparison. I re-read it recently and it didn't disappoint.
Margareth8537
Interesting family saga about an interesting period in Irish history - a bit like the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times".
Elizabeth
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story of the true tragedy of the Irish famine
Leslie
Feb 17, 2016
DELORES A CASSIDY
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2016