Start by marking “Thunder and Lightning: A No-B.S. Hockey Memoir” as Want to Read:
Thunder and Lightning: A No-B.S. Hockey Memoir

Thunder and Lightning: A No-B.S. Hockey Memoir

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Hall of Famer Phil Esposito takes fans into his storied career that saw him skate in 10 All-Star games, play for three of the most storied franchises in professional hockey--Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and New York Rangers--and become the first general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Published September 1st 2005 by Triumph Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder and Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder and Lightning

Mike Balsom
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
One does not read a book written by Phil Esposito for its prose and flowery use of the English language. In fact, the cover of the book pretty much tells it like it is, with the use of words like "ribald" in it description of the contents. Phil is pretty much what you expect Phil to be throughout this life-in-hockey memoir. He doesn't reveal a lot about his life prior to his hockey career, as player, coach, owner and president with Chicago, Boston, New York and Tampa Bay. But, as you can imagine ...more
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada-sports, sports
Let's face it, today's hockey players are as dull as dishwater (and not particularly bright). Phil Esposito, hockey god from the 70's, is different. Always engaging and entertaining, one could never accuse him of being dull. I could hear his voice as I read the pages, that's Phil all right. Esposito, after winning the scoring title and playing on a Stanley Cup winning team, had to work construction in Sault Ste. Marie every summer to supplement his hockey income! Imagine that nowadays!

Esposito r
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-and-prior
Espo really can tell a story. Great memoir, a must read for any Bruins, Rangers or Tampa Bay fan. Love the stories of his playing days and really enjoyed the behind the scenes look at his role in the Tampa Bay franchise coming to fruition.
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
This auto biography of Phil Esposito was superbly written by my brother, Peter Golenbock. It tells of Phil as a Bruin, a Ranger, a manager the man who founded the Tampa Bay Lightning. Great read.
Will Eastman
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book by Phil Esposito because unlike most auto-biography's on athletes, he explains his life after his playing career. Most of the book was about after his time playing then when he was actually playing. It does not just explain he scored this many points in this many games in this season. It explains his life such as his marriage, his kids, his brother, where he is from and more. I liked this book because he did something bigger outside of his playing career by starting a hockey fr ...more
Ashley H.
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The writing is overly simplistic at times, which makes it a quick read, but can also make you feel like you're reading a third grader's account of things. That being said, the stories are interesting and at times hilarious. Epso is a piece of shit husband who cheated on his first two wives, but at least he admits he's a piece of shit, which makes him alright in my book.
Collin Insley
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Look, you've gotta have a pretty good idea of what you're gonna get it when you read Phil Esposito's so-called autobiography. It's long on yarns that paint a fun picture of the 70s NHL and short on insight and substance. I'd love to read a biography that actually asked critical questions and probed tricky areas. Instead, Thunder and Lightning is essentially a stream of consciousness transcript of what it might be like to sit next to Espo in a bar. Which isn't so bad, but you also know you're jus ...more
Jason Gillespie
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
As in most sports figure biography attempts, the story run heavy on personal reflection and disjointed memories. This book was really entertaining, especially after his playing days ended. His drive and desire to bring hockey to Florida was very engaing and i really enjoyed seeing the behind the scenes look at the business of obtaining financing. Phil is one of my all time favorites. Hugely loyal to the Bruins, it was sad to see him reflect on his trade and his personal feelings regarding the en ...more
Jay Royston
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read probably a dozen hockey-related books and this by far is one of the most candid bios I've encountered.

Phil retired before my time but his legend is strong. I especially liked his transition of life after hockey playing - from his experience as a coach to his efforts in establishing the Tampa Bay Lightning franchise. He's a man who called his shots and fell victim perhaps to his own ego when it came to Tampa and playing with the Big Boys in financing.

Very engaging read.
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Certainly nothing special in terms of an athlete's memoir. Lots of ego, not a whole heck of a lot of insight. Some of the backstage machinations behind building the Tampa Bay Lightning are intriguing if only to illustrate some of the backhanded business involved, but again Phil's own self-importance glazes over the truth with his spin.
Dave Thorner
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I was reading this book it felt like Phil himself was telling me his life story. That the title is 'No B.S.' is fitting. Well written and to the point. Being a hockey junkie, this was a good book that I chose to read because of its content.
David Belisle
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Growing up, Espo was my idol. I remember where I was the day the Bruins traded him to the Rangers. I still call him the best interview in sports. He shoots from the hip -- with respect. A goal scorer and a great, determined guy. Who else could bring hockey to Florida? Only Espo.
George Hamblen
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As Life-Long Bruins fan.... this was a must read. Forever in our hearts... Made Boston sports special in the 70's
excellent read for any hockey fan.. phil uses the f bomb a lot but it is a good read
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
he names names which makes this book interesting
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
highly recommended for any sports/hockey fan...
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than The Game, but being a Bruins fan I'm a bit biased. If you're a fan of olde tyme hockey, the Bruins, or Espo I'd recommend it.
Kris - My Novelesque Life

I am not big of Hockey but this is still a great memoir.
David Basque
rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association
  • Future Greats and Heartbreaks: A Year Undercover in the Secret World of NHL Scouts
  • Mr. Hockey: My Story
  • Gretzky
  • Black Ice: The Val James Story
  • Playing With Fire
  • Patrick Roy: Winning, Nothing Else
  • In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide
  • Greatest Hockey Stories Ever Told: The Finest Writers On Ice
  • Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes
  • Brodeur: Beyond the Crease