Start by marking “The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns” as Want to Read:

"There are a few investment managers, of course, who are very good - though in the short run, it's difficult to determine whether a great record is due to luck or talent. Most advisors, however, are far better at generating high fees than they are at generating high returns. In truth, their core competence is salesmanship. Rather than listen to their siren songs, investors ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Common Sense Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Keegan
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing
What did I think? I'll get back to you in about 30 years.
Chad Warner
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
After hearing so many references to John Bogle and his followers, the Bogleheads, I decided I had to read this book. The author, John Bogle, invented the index fund and founded Vanguard.

I really liked this book; it's one of the better investing books I've read. It contains just the right amount of empirical evidence in the form of statistics, graphs, and charts to be convincing, but not eye-glazingly boring. To back up his assertions, he points to "the relentless rules of humble arithmetic." Bog
yh
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: english
Since this is a little book, I'll write a little review.

Good Parts:
The advice. It just makes sense, and Bogle does a good job of breaking down why index funds are a sound investment for almost everyone. I never felt lost in any financial jargon, which is impressive, as I know next to nothing about investing. The perspectives from other financial minds and academics were nice to read as well.

Bad Parts:
Repetitive. He makes the same (good) point over and over, and continually tries to convince the
Michael
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
While it was indeed a little book, it was much longer than it needed to be. The whole book can be summed up in one sentence: Buy and hold a low cost index fund. You're welcome, you've essentially just read the book.
Eric Franklin
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
Bogle deserves a million stars for starting Vanguard and bringing us the concept of low-cost index funds. I'll even go one better and agree with the fundamental premise of this book, that almost everyone should have broad-based indexing as the foundation of their investment plans.

This book is essentially a dismantling of vast swaths of the financial industry, especially the mutual fund. Step by step, and through the relentless application of real-world performance numbers and statistics, Bogle s
Brian
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much everyone.
Recommended to Brian by: john bogle on frontline
Shelves: on-kindle
(4.0) Big long sell on low-expense ratio broad index funds. Logic makes sense and if I weren't already a convert, would definitely take seriously. It's so interesting that so many investors do not.

- things that cost investors in actively managed mutual funds:
— expense ratio
— turnover (fees cut into profits and cap gains lead to premature taxation)
— higher taxes
— [something about consuming nearly all dividend gains?]
— transaction/load/redemption fees
— investor emotion: buying funds when market up
Jason Pettus
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm posting the last of my 2017 reads here this month without reviews, so that they'll count towards this year's Goodreads Reading Challenge. Full review coming in early 2018.
Denis Vasilev
Книга одной идеи, разумная. Все было изложено в лучшей форме Баффетом.
Jyotishka Misra
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The book reiterated the same point from start to finish. What could have been a much smaller book, was stretched to the very limits. While there were a scant number of ideas presented, with the entire focus pretty much being on ETFs, there was well presented data to explain why the solitary conclusion had been drawn for a range of scenarios.
Wilde Sky
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book provides a basic guide to investing for the long term.

Some of the points made, such as have diverse investments, that past performance can be misleading and minimise costs, were interesting, but overall this book was a bit simplistic and it was very repetitive.
Madeline
Worth mentioning that index funds generally require a $3000 initial investment. As is often the case (buying a house, for example), you need to be in good shape (have $3000 to spare) to get in on the "good stuff."
Soheil
Oct 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
In all my ventures into the books on stock market, I had never come across a book as useless as this one. The author keeps telling you that from the first page to the last that you should follow his advise on chucking mutual stocks and become passive nobody that only invests on index funds and sits for the next 10 years to earn an average profit. To support his statement (while claiming that he invented the index funds) he uses arguments such as tax, agent fees, half quotes from famous people, s ...more
Daniel
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book about traditional index fund investing. Over audiobook, it is a bit hard because there are many percentage returns listed that are hard to keep track of without looking at it.
Bryan
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I rate this book highly because it is a quick read and convincingly outlines some very important foundations of stock investing. I took two key points away from the book:

1. Minimizing fees by utilizing low-cost index funds will almost certainly be more profitable over the long term than actively managed funds. Yearly fees on some of the cheapest index funds are around .1% - Actively managed funds usually range from .7% - 2%.

2. Tax minimization is one of the most important factors in investment s
Davy
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Sad to say this was one of my first finance books, but happy to report that I picked up a good one. Bogle hammered in the idea of safe and steady investing through index funds and explained how over time, buying index funds that track the S&P 500 is the way to go. I appreciated the manner in which he explained how he started the first index fund at Vanguard, but didn't necessarily push his own product too much. Although my one complaint of the book was he repeated alot of the same concepts o ...more
Joseph Wengerd
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." Stick to the good plan.

Index funds are those good plans that will save you from failing in the dreams of a perfect plan.
Patrick S
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The perfect preface for the life of a new investor.

Bogle makes the most compelling argument against investing in actively managed mutual funds, to be weary of costs from commissions, management fees and taxes, and to bet instead on the entire U.S. stock market. How? By investing in a Tradition Index Fund (TIF) that tracks the S&P 500.

Inserting quick anecdotes, a vast array of cost analysis, and digging into the history of market returns vs. the returns of active management, The Little Book o
Dide
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's hard to acknowledge that the advice here has been personally tried and tested knowing that the result can only be assessed decades ahead. That said it made sense especially when other books of the same ilk speak positively of same. I however do find it somewhat of a conflict of interest since he is the founder of America's index fund. And as another commentator said... Feed you back in thirty years time😊
Vivek
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bogle is the father of indexing. Humanity can thank him for creating wealth for millions of American workers. This book just hammers home the point - buy low cost total market(stock or/and bond) index funds, hold it for a lifetime. Like Bogle himself says in the book, it’s like dieting - the truth is no mystery : eat right, exercise more. But sticking to it takes effort. That applies to investing as well. Bogle explains chapter by chapter showing how staying average is the way to win with charts ...more
ScienceOfSuccess
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting
This book is based on The Intelligent Investor, John C. Bogle did a good job explaining investment options with pros and cons. This would be a great book to start since this book was written for normal people, not financial specialists. This comes with a cost of nothing extraordinary if you are looking for something more than basic information about stocks and bonds you should pick another book.
Sunil Ramjit
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“When there are multiple solutions to a problem, choose the simplest one.”

“It will also tell you how easy it is to do just that: simply buy the entire stock market. Then, once you have bought your stocks, get out of the casino and stay out. Just hold the market portfolio forever. And that’s what the index fund does. This investment philosophy is not only simple and elegant. The arithmetic on which it is based is irrefutable. But it is not easy to follow its discipline.”
Ging Cee
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this quickly at the bookstore. I liked that it was short and sweet, introduced and explained different financial instruments clearly, and did a great job at explaining how the cost side of active investing can bite into overall net profits.
Jacob Bowes
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book to follow up from Money Masters and John Bogle reiterates many of the same ideas. This book goes more in-depth regarding passive investing. A short and easy to read book, I'm sure I will refresh myself by reading this book many times.
Cindy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book of general guidelines.

We read this in our investment club.
Joo Parn Ong
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time and time again it has been proven that the rule of thumb of simple investing is thru passive management by buying index fund. Definitely a good book to kick start your investing venture!
Diego Leal
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
One sentence summary: Invest in index funds.
Nathan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
Very similar to the message that Tony Robbins delivered in Unshakeable: managed mutual funds not only don't deliver market-beating returns, but they also cost more in management and trading fees. The answer? Index funds. I'm convinced.
Cliff
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. Strong foundation. A little longer and more repetitive than it needs to be.
Rachel
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance, 2018, four-stars
Trying to learn about this financial planning thing. Takeaways: investing can be simple, costs matter, investing feels scary but not investing is worse I guess?
Geoff
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Passive. Index. Fund. Investing.

Average mutual fund investor does not capture the average return of the fund. All investors as a whole capture the average return of the market, less expenses.
Derek Hollister 2 8 Oct 28, 2017 06:05AM
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Four Pillars of Investing
  • All about Asset Allocation
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Where Are the Customers' Yachts?: Or a Good Hard Look at Wall Street
  • The Elements of Investing
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • The Little Book of Behavioral Investing: How Not to Be Your Own Worst Enemy
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • The New Buffettology: The Proven Techniques for Investing Successfully in Changing Markets That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths That Help Real People Make Real Money
John Clifton "Jack" Bogle (born May 8, 1929) is the founder and retired CEO of The Vanguard Group. He is known for his 1999 book Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor, which became a bestseller and is considered a classic.
More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._...
“Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack!” 18 likes
“The grim irony of investing, then, is that we investors as a group not only don't get what we pay for, we get precisely what we don't pay for. So if we pay for nothing, we get everything.” 6 likes