Start by marking “Mr. Zero” as Want to Read:
Mr. Zero

Mr. Zero

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Gay Harkwicke has had her fill of her giddy cousin's predicaments. But when Lady Sylvia Colesborough cries blackmail, Gay listens twice. A mysterious Mr. Zero has asked Sylvia to steal important government papers from her prestigious husband, Sir Francis, and from the Home Secretary. Otherwise, he will reveal her huge gambling debts. Gay begs Sylvia to confess to Sir Franc ...more
Published September 1990 by Warner Books (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Zero

Bethany Mustafa
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a great mystery, but I enjoyed the characters and the simplicity of it. Sometimes thats nice.
Ludditus
To my great shame, I never read anything by Patricia Wentworth before, despite being a fan of the Golden Age era crime mysteries. By pure chance, Kobo recommended me this very book, and the free preview included an extensive introduction by Curtis Evans (it was the Dean Street Press edition); I ended by reading the 2016 edition by Open Road Integrated Media, Inc.

65 mystery novels, of which 32 featuring Miss Silver (I take she’s a sort of a younger Miss Marple), and I never considered reading any
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Not part of the Miss Silver series, in this standalone novel Wentworth tries her hand at Home Office intrigue. Who has stolen vital papers from the Home Secretary's room at a house party? Was it one of his secretaries, who also just happens to be his cousin? Who shot Sir Francis--his lovely airheaded wife, or someone else? And--a bigger question to my mind--would the Home Secretary (aka Secretary of State) really take vital, confidential papers with him to a house party weekend and just leave th ...more
Sep
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Patricia Wentworth. The heroine, Gay Hardwicke, get roped into a situation caused by her dopey cousin Sylvia. Gay brings along her friend Algy Somers, an honest and hardworking secretary to the Home Office's much valued Montague Lushington. Before you can say bob's-my-uncle Algy is suspected of being Murder #1.

This is not a Miss Silver book but some of the minor characters are fun. A nice picture of upper class England in 1938.
Jessica Howard
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-british, 2010
A slightly predictable cozy, a fun look at shenanigans among the British upper class in the 40s era. The lovely but dimwitted Lady Sylvia Colesborough has gotten herself into trouble, and needs her cousin Gay Hardwicke to help extricate her. In her attempts to help Sylvia, Gay accidentally implicates her boyfriend Algy Somers for murder.
Darcy
Mar 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoy Patricia Wentworth's predicitability in characterization of refined English ladies being spunky, but the female protagonist was a little too weak and fluttering for me. The plot was fun.
Jessica
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I actually enjoyed this more without Miss Silver. Definitely going to try and read the other non- miss silver books.
Linda Inglis
Jul 03, 2009
Janina Fialkowska
Sep 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...