Start by marking “What Latter-Day Stripling Warriors Learn from Their Mothers” as Want to Read:
What Latter-Day Stripling Warriors Learn from Their Mothers

What Latter-Day Stripling Warriors Learn from Their Mothers

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Published June 25th 1996 by Shadow Mountain (first published June 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about What Latter-Day Stripling Warriors Learn from Their Mothers

Marjorie Pfister
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book in a bargain bin at a grocery store years ago..and have mislaid it and I'm heartbroken. I wanted to give a copy of it to my three older brothers on Mother's Day..because sometimes they're a little hard on our mother who really is quite simply wonderful, and raised her children well. In the way that only Ardith Greene Kapp can, she illustrates the invaluable role mothers have in the lives of their children.
As a mother of two children one who was little boy when I stumbled acros
Sheila
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Moms
Recommended to Sheila by: My In laws
Dave's parents gave me this book for my birthday several years ago. While her husband was serving as mission president in Canada, Sister Kapp sat the missionaries down and asked them questions about what they had learned from their moms. There were some very sweet stories and the conclusion that I came to from her research was that little things count. One thing that I have been having issues with lately is how quickly our children grow and how little time we have with them to teach them and get ...more
Annette
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not a how-to book. This is a quick, encouraging, inspiring book for mothers. When Sister Kapp's husband was the mission president in Canada she interviewed the missionaries about their mothers. This is a compilation of their thoughts and personal stories.
The main thing that I got out of it was that it's those small and simple things that we do for our children everyday that matter most. We don't need to demand perfection of ourselves, just keep trying. Most of the time we don't realize w
carrie
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found this on my shelf. I have no idea where it came from, but I'm glad it's here. It makes me feel so good about being a mom and inspires me to do better with absolutely no guilt. Ardeth Kapp interviewed the missionaries on her mission about their mothers and what they did to prepare them. Here's one of my favorite quotes so far: "No one, not one, spoke of the fancy clothes his or her mother wore. They didn't remember the perfect color coordination of the funiture in the home. They never spok ...more
Heather Condiff
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
I loved the insights in this book! A short pretty easy read. It brought me to tears and made me think about how my parenting is, or is not, preparing my children for the outside world and what they need intellectually and spiritually to be able to fight those influences which are destructive. I loved reading about what missionaries remembered about their mothers or what they related their mother's taught them. It gave me a different perspective on how the little things can really go a long way.

L
Janene
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
It was sheerly coincidence that I stumbled on this at the library a few weeks before mothers day, but the timing was just right.

This book is written in run-on format. No division into chapters or sections, so you feel a bit like you're sitting through a BYU devotional. However, it was nice to be reminded that my kids are likely learning more from me than I realize, and that they aren't taking any notes on the mistakes I keep making. :o)
Connie
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a very quick read but touched me so much. I hope that when my kids go on missions they have mission presidents with wives like this amazing woman. This book made me cry and made me feel like maybe I'm not doing such a bad job at being a mother. It really spoke to me. I would like to get my own copy to read whenever I am feeling down or not good enough. I loved it!!!
Nicole Smith
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Picked this up off my parents shelves and read it on my flight home. Short, easy read. I've thought about the stripling warriors, and their sisters, and their mothers often over the years, so it was interesting for me to read a former Mission President's wives thoughts on modern mothers of stripling warriors (AKA missionaries).
Missy
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This was your basic Ardeth Kapp book. When she and her husband were in charge of the Canadian mission, she asked the missionaries what they remembered most about their mothers and how it affected who they were today. A quick read. I don't think I came away with any one bit of advice on how to raise great boys and girls to be great missionaries.
Heather
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
This Book was good, however i was hoping for things I could do. I found that most were stories about wonderful moms which are encouraging but not specific. In a way it made me feel overwhelmed because I couldn't keep track of all the things each mother did. IF you are not a list maker i believe you could love this book.
Jennie
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I have read this book. It's been many years since the first time. I was about to give the book to goodwill, but I decided to read it again first. It's quick read. I think I will keep it now and read it from time to time. It's a good reminder of the kind of mother and I am and can be.
Nicole
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I love the side margin quotes that are easily reviewed for pieces that were meaningful to me. Wonderful reminder of the "small" things we do now that are truly preparing our children for their future-not so distant missions and families of their own.
Amy A.
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just the thoughts that are always on my mind raising sons (and even daughters). A really nice reference book, and helps me always remember all that I need to teach them before they leave me. Despite the heavy responsibility...I love my job!
Karina
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
This was a good, easy read. It really helped me appreciate motherhood more and the importance of it. I feel more motivated to really try being a better mom and teaching my kids what is really important!
Mindy
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This quick read left me feeling very validated in my efforts to teach my children. However, I'm going to need to read it again with a pen in hand to be able to extract specific principles that I can focus on as I parent.
Tiffany
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: motherhood
This was an inspiring book that showed how some mothers raised missionaries! I liked it alot!
Myra Marangi
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book if you have a 16 year-old young man. I was able to see him in a different light, especially after he came home from EFY this summer. Highly recommend this book!
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Love Ardeth Greene Kapp. Nothing deep or new, but an incredibly fast read and uplifting.
Dawnette Rhoades
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uplifting
Great reread of a good book to remind me of the importance of being a mother. Maybe my children are learning something from me.
Jill
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book but am only giving it 3.5 stars because it was so simple I didn't come away with a whole lot.
Myken
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Short, quick read. Shares stories she learned from her missionaries while they were serving as mission president/wife.
Debbi
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Very inspirational.
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
very uplifting book. would recommend it to anyone with children/spiritually minded.
Leighanna
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a tear jerker! Ardeth G. Kapp interviews missionaries about their mothers. Very touching and it made me think of ways I can be a better mom for my kids. A quick, spiritual read.
Soni
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
A quick, feel good book to remind us of our goals as mothers.
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: New moms of boys
Recommended to Rebecca by: Jolie Rodriguez
I was given this bok when Brock was first born. It's a very simple and fast read, but it has some very sweet, and touching ideals.
Myranda
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-lds-studies
Short easy read and I cried through most of it. We do better than we think.
Melis