Start by marking “Lord John and the Hellfire Club (Lord John Grey, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Lord John and the Hellfire Club (Lord John Grey, #0.5)

Lord John and the Hellfire Club

(Lord John Grey 0.5)

Outlander character Lord John Grey finds himself in 19th-century London investigating the death of a red-haired man. Soon he is mixed up in the affairs of Sir Francis Dashwood and his notorious Hellfire Club.
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published 2003 by Recorded Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lord John and the Hellfire Club, please sign up.
Norm Davis This is what I've been told...
Outlander 3.0.1 Lord John and the Hellfire Club
Outlander 3.1 Lord John and the Private Matter
Outlander 3.1.1 Lord John…more
This is what I've been told...
Outlander 3.0.1 Lord John and the Hellfire Club
Outlander 3.1 Lord John and the Private Matter
Outlander 3.1.1 Lord John and the Succubus
Outlander 3.2 Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade....
Outlander 3.2.1 Lord John and the Haunted Soldier
Outlander 3.2.2 Lord John and the Custom of the Army
Outlander 3.3 The Scottish Prisoner
Outlander 3.3.1 Lord John and the Plague of Zombies(less)

Julianna
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Mysteries; The Outlander Series
Lord John and the Hellfire Club is the first novella in Diana Gabaldon's Lord John Grey series. I'm not sure if it's the shortest story she's ever written, but it's by far the shortest one by her I've read to date. In this novella, she's taken Lord John Grey, a popular secondary character from the Outlander series, and given him a mystery to solve, thereby turning him into an amateur sleuth, which is what I understand he'll be doing throughout the series. It takes place in London sometime after ...more
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
Interesting novella but too short, plus I didn't understand it completely. But I still definitely want to read the rest of the Lord John series.
Marianne
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord John and the Hellfire Club is a short story featuring Lord John Grey, a character from Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. He was first introduced in Dragonfly in Amber. In 1786, he has returned to London from his post as Governor of Ardsmuir Prison when he encounters Harry Quarry in his club and meets Harry’s cousin by marriage, Robert Gerald. Perhaps Gerald’s flaming red hair causes Lord John to offer assistance when asked but, before it can be rendered, Gerald is murdered in front of his ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Giving up on this one for now. The audio quality on the library copy that I am trying to listen to is not good. I was having a hard time focusing on the story before the problems with the audio quality started so it is not worth fighting with. I do hope to try again at some point.
Ish Healy
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Genre: Novella, Historical, Mystery
Rating: C

In "Lord John and the Hellfire Club" Lord John Grey (of the famed Outlander series) witnesses the murder of one Robert Gerald, the cousin of Grey’s friend and colleague, Harry Quarry. Even before rumours begin to circulate about Gerald’s sexuality Grey had vowed to find the murderer, a search which brings Grey to the Hellfire Club, where the story becomes more about the danger that threatens Grey’s life than discovering who murder
Matt
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Those readers familiar with Gabaldon's Outlander series will remember mention of Lord John Grey twice in VOYAGER. In the early portion of the novel, Grey is assigned to time overseeing things at Ardsmuir prison, where he and Jamie Fraser crossed paths. This novella is set in and around the time of Grey's period there, with loose references to Fraser and Grey's attraction to him. Grey receives word from an acquaintance that he wishes to pass along some information. However, said acquaintance is m ...more
Pia
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read 3 of the humongous books in the Outlander series so far, and because I thought Lord John was rather cute and endearing, I wanted to at least try some of the novella's and shorter novels, that take place during Jamie's stay at Helwater.

And I have to say, as far as short stories go, this was a good one. The format is usually too short for me to be enjoyable, but I enjoyed reading this action packed short little mystery, and am now even more eager to learn more about LJG, so I'll continu
Teresa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Quaint short story introducing Lord John Grey as a main character while he investigates the death of an acquaintance. Just a very brief taster about this secondary Outlander character, interesting enough to make me want to continue reading about him, but at the same time, at this stage I still have doubts that he can sustain a whole longer book. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Andrea
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lord John and the Hellfire Club was a short story, one I would've loved to see expanded. It covers the time period immediately after John leaves Ardsmuir. Lord John is still in quiet turmoil over Jamie Fraser, not helped by the murder of a man who bears a great resemblance to him.

Because I don't want to be done with this series, I've started over,beginning with this story. The ending was abrupt, but on second time around, I understood and enjoyed more.
Lin #Historical lover...❤️
Interesting story but not enough to capture my interest and make me enjoy it.
The end had reasonable suspense and drama... but again... no emotional response triggered in me.

Morbid story... this may have added to my dislike.
Amanda
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
i found it kind of boring. didn't keep my interest nearly as much as the outlander series
Dustin
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m not really sure what to think about this story. It was not bad and an interesting introduction to Lord John but the point behind the story is not quite clear to me. Hope the full books are better. Outlander is amazing so I was surprised by this short story.
Bárbara
That was wild and confusing... And I definitely want to come back for more!
Lori Anderson
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Lord John.
Matt
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this this tale sets up nicely the break away cycle of Lord John Grey from the Outlander series. However, it was far too short! I understand that it is a novella but I left this tale feeling a little cheated, which is not a feeling I have ever gotten from Gabaldon's work before. One or two more chapters added to the end would have been nice as they would have given a more clear resolution of the story. Otherwise the writing and characters were phenomenal as always.
Melanie
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short novella introducing Lord John Grey as a main character. Lord john is first introduced in the Outlander series in Dragonfly in Amber as an impetuous teen. In Voyager Lord John ends up the eventual friend of Jamie Fraser and is an interesting character.

Lord John witnesses the murder of one Robert Gerald, the cousin of Grey’s friend and colleague, Harry Quarry. Grey had vowed to find the murderer, a search which brings Grey to the Hellfire Club, where he must protect his life.

Someti
mlady_rebecca
Lord John sees a man with red hair that reminds him of Jamie. The man asks to meet him, but is killed in the street before they can get together. Lord John investigates his death.
Sam
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History lovers
Recommended to Sam by: My daughter worded at the library
I liked it, thought Diana was expermenting a little, putting it out there. Great guy Lord John is, and I am very interested in where he (& Diana) might take us. A lot more learning for our favorite author, keeping up with what was going on in England (& Americia) during this time period. Please keep them coming, I love learning about all of these things too...
Michele
The first novella Gabaldon wrote about Lord John Grey, a prominent secondary character from her popular Outlander series. I'm not a huge fan of her Outlander series, but I absolutely love Lord John and many other of her secondary characters. This novella was a short mystery - her first about Lord John - and it's a very nice opening attempt. Looking forward to the rest.
Toni FGMAMTC
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
I really like Lord John Grey so I thought I would check out some of his spin-off stories. This is the first I've read and was pretty interesting, very mysterious. Also, his pining over Jamie is so easy to sympathize with.
Lily
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ok but not Diana Gabaldon's best. The end is rushed. The story is not developed well enough. I think too much effort was spent at the beginning of the story, and consequently the rest suffered. A shame.
Adelina
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Very short. I wasn't as intrigued with this character and story as I am with Outlander series. It didn't hold my attention as the other books. But it was a quick story and now on to the second book of the series.
Melissa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Was good enough. Fun to read a short story by D. Gabaldon. Language was a bit hard for me to transition to this time, so I found myself rereading several pages to be sure I was following the story well. Left me wanting to know more, so I'll continue with the Lord John books.
Jessica
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing and left me wanting to know what happens next. Although I’ve already read Lord John #1 so I suppose I DO know what happens next. Nonetheless, it was very helpful in understanding the premise of LJ#1 by providing character descriptions and dynamic. Quick and good read !
Roberta Emerson
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun novella in the Lord John Grey series by this author of my much-loved Outlander series. She is gifted in bringing 18th and 19th century alive...language, politics, daily experiences and mores. Sometimes quite uncomfortable but always enlightening.
Elletee
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dear Diana. You devil!

I'm actually going back for a second read and it's more fascinating the second time.
Amy
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
A very quick read. Lord John Grey investigates the death of an acquaintance.
KayLee Parson
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This short story is the 1st of three short stories that are included in The Hand Devils collection/book. It was short and sweet. It gives a little info on Lord John and sets up his spin off series.

If anyone is confused on the chronological order of Diana Gabaldon's books - here is what she has said on her website. The numbered books here are the "original" big book series. Lord John is like a spin off series with books that are "normal" size and short stories. Other short stories include main an
Natasja
3.5 sterren. Een leuk kort boekje welke de intro vormt voor de Lord John Grey serie. Ik ben nog steeds van mening dat verhalen (net als deze) niet lekker uit de verf komen op slechts 44 pagina's, het voelt te gehaast aan en het plot had wat mij betreft een stuk meer uitgediept worden. Diana Gabaldon weet de geschiedenis op een ontzettend mooie manier weer 'tot leven' te brengen, en het is jammer dat ze dit stukje geschiedenis rondom Hellfire Clubs maar 44 pagina's heeft gegund.

Nu door met deel 1
Rosemary Hughes
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook was a delight to listen to, with background of intrigue and benevolence of the characters showing through, as the story progresses. The death of a young man, although newly met by Lord John Grey , causes him to pursue justice in the young man's name, only to find that the person responsible was ill informed and the death a consequence of the misunderstanding.
  • Mothers and Daughters
  • Fathers and Daughters
  • Caprice and Rondo (The House of Niccolo, #7)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion: Volume II
  • Pacific Nights
  • Treasure (Raised By Wolves, #3)
  • 22 Dead Little Bodies and Other Stories
  • Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery, #7)
  • Mere Mortals
  • Legends II
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Lord John Grey (3 books)
  • Lord John and the Private Matter (Lord John Grey, #1)
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade  (Lord John Grey, #2)
  • The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)