Start by marking “Galatians for You (God's Word for You)” as Want to Read:
Galatians for You (God's Word for You)

Galatians for You

(God's Word for You)

First in a new series of expository guides to the Bible, Timothy Keller' Galatians For You closely examines the text of Galatians in an expositional, engaging and applied way. Tim Keller's trademark gift of clear explanation and compelling insights make this a uniquely flexible resource. This expository guide to Galatians will help Bible teachers, devotional readers and an ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by The Good Book Company (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Galatians for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galatians for You

Chris McGrath
2017 Update: Just read this book for a second time and highlighted even more of it than the first time around. As usual, studying the Bible brings different truths to the forefront each time I read it and this book has helped immensely.

2013 Review: A few months ago, I read through Galatians again, and struggled to find the significance in most of it. There are some good, applicable quotes in the last chapter, but the bulk of the book seemed irrelevant to me. What could I possibly learn from a 20
Jeff Randleman
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentaries
Book Review - Galatians For You by Timothy Keller

I don't think I've ever sat down and read a commentary straight through, from cover to cover.

Until now.

My usual mode of operation, when it comes to using biblical commentaries, is to reference the specific sections on the passages I need. And I have several different series of commentaries on my shelves, giving me a lot of reference material for Bible study.

But Galatians For You, by Timothy Keller is different. It's a commentary. But it's also a d
Jeremy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Gigi
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Changed my life. After believing I was a Christian for 22 years and being so exhausted and disheartened with the burden of maintaining my salvation (though I wouldn’t have used those words), God used this and other things to open my eyes. I was only a couple chapters in and not necessarily thinking I needed saving when, on a regular ol’ day walking my dog in the morning I was awakened by the Spirit and could see it is by God’s grace alone I am saved. I devoured the rest of the book with new eyes ...more
Chris Harrod
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really loved working through this book alongside Galatians. Reading through this forced me to sit in tough to understand and complex passages in Galatians that I would have only read once and zoomed past had I not used this commentary.

Once again, I love Keller's writing style, and I love how purposeful this series and Keller are in intentionally pointing the reader to Christ and not themselves. I left this guide enjoying Galatians and God's Word more than before.

This guide is for pastors, Bible
Hank Pharis
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Tim Keller is one of my favorite preachers and thinkers. But while this is good I would have enjoyed more listening to a sermon series on Galatians by him. Preaching is often more powerful than the written word, although there are a few preachers who are better writers than they are speakers.

(Note: I'm stingy with stars. For me 2 stars means a good book. 3 = Very good; 4 = Outstanding {only about 5% of the books I read merit this}; 5 = All time favorites {one of these may come along every 400-50
Arlie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Challenging. Clear, concise, clarifying. Great questions to ponder at the end of each chapter.
Donny Teeter
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great detailed study on the book of Galatians, especially how it discusses in depth that we are no longer bound by the law, but received as God's children. We are saved by grace and no longer have to live in fear of God, but live in love for him.
Honza Pokorny
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent, popular level summary of the book of Galatians. It's very easy to read, and yet profound. I especially enjoyed the treatment of justification, and of conceit.
Craig Hurst
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Good Book Company has just released the first book in a new series of devotionals titled God’s Word for You. The first book is on Galatians by Tim Keller titled Galatians for You. This series is designed to be an expository guide through the books of the Bible. It is not a detailed commentary on the Greek and Hebrew though it has helpful detail when needed. It is not so focused on the practical that it spends very little time on the text itself. This is a series that is purposely anchored to ...more
Kevin Thompson
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Galatians for You is an apt title for this new commentary by Tim Keller. In this short book Keller unpacks a great deal of thought-provoking doctrinal content and challenging personal application of said content. It is incredibly easy to read and can be understood by new and old Christians alike. Tim Keller, like R.C. Sproul, possesses that unique gift of having a highly-intellectual mind and the ability to communicate to the common man. This is seen best in the appendix concerning the New Persp ...more
Nathan Mckinney
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an awesome read. Keller is incredibly gifted at taking Scripture and going under the surface and digging deep into it and then communicating it clearly to the lay-person. This is a very accessible, but not easy read. I took several months to go through this book and really enjoyed the space in between readings to really work through and chew on the material.

Keller comes at this book with no agenda beyond getting to the root of the message of Galations (Jesus + nothing = the g
Ian
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I studied Galatians at college not so long ago so I thought I had a pretty good understanding of it. However, this excellent study opened my eyes to far more. I can't speak highly enough about it.

This is practical expository teaching, taking each verse of the epistle and unpacking it so we can both understand but also use it.

Keller uses excellent layman's language and the conversational style reads like he is sitting alongside guiding you through the epistle. Then after each section of teaching
Lord Tedric
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, read-out
Timothy Keller has a wonderful message to preach; the Gospel of Grace. Unfortunately Mr Keller tries to force his message onto every part of the letter to the Galatians regardless of whether it fits or not. There were a number of occasions when I was left puzzled and frustrated by things he wrote and the statements he made. To be honest, I only finished the book because it was a gift. I regret not keeping a list of the concerns I had as I read the book so I can't list them here, and I don;t have ...more
Frank Peters
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, as well as an excellent introduction to the “God’s Word for You” series. This book (and series), claims it is not a commentary yet it also serves that purpose. I am really impressed with Keller’s book which does fulfill the series subtitles: “This is for you to READ, thrilling you about Gospel freedom. This is for you to FEED, helping you meditate on God’s word day by day. This is for you to LEAD, equipping you to teach the bible to others. This is Galatians for you”. ...more
Bill
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary-bible
Loved it. Great balance between dealing with the text of Galatians and discussing it's relevance for everyday life. Tim Keller does a great job at applying the life-giving message of the gospel to our blind spots. This looks like a good series, very readable for anyone. Was also very helpful for me in preparing small group Bible studies.
Joel Rockey
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the God's Word for You commentary series. The material is deep enough to give you a good understanding of the text and accessible enough for anyone to grasp. I read this for a men's Bible study at my church. Excellent!
Jonathan Roberts
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2013
Great approachable look at Galatians! A great book. Read this and listen to Matt Chandler's sermon series on Galatians and be ready for a life changing event! Highest recommendation!!!
Chris Land
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource to have when studying the book of Galatians.
Joy
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. Top read of mine for 2013.
Peter Martin
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very profitable read written in a really helpful manner. It's structured in such a way that it could be used as a personal devotional, group study, or a standard commentary. Recommended!
Chuck Ammons
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a start, I think Tim Keller is a brilliant man of God, thinker, and author. His book, “The Reason for God” is a treasure when it comes to understanding the nature of faith. A favorite of mine!

As a skilled writer with an amazing heart, I had a number of notes in this book that “wow-ed” me. His focus on faith in the Cross and nothing else being our hope is paramount!

Where the struggle came was in his view (or how that view was expressed) in three areas that were crippling for me as a reader. (F
Ben Potloff
Another awesome devotional commentary from the Good Book Co. I love using these for my personal devotions for many reasons, but the number one reason is that they teach the Scripture in a way that stirs my affections for Jesus Christ.

These comments on Galatians 6:14 are a good summary of this commentary and the book of Galatians.

"I am saved solely and wholly because of Christ’s work, not mine. He has reserved a place in heaven for me, given freely to me by Him. I “never boast”—I take no credit
Melanie Simmerman
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Through most of my life as a Christian, I have always somewhat avoided Galatians, finding it more difficult to connect with than other books like Philippians or Colossians. This year I decided to read Galatians every day for a month, and that combined with this study guide absolutely opened up Galatians like a treasure chest. It is such a rich and beautiful book!
Tim Keller, one of my favorite pastors and writers, does an amazing job of uncovering and exploring the richness of this book. I highl
DeeAnn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Excellent, excellent, excellent. I have found myself going back multiple times to things Keller broke down in the book of Galatians.

The book is laid out by going through chunks of Galatians, from beginning to end. Keller both breaks down things in the original language, careful to draw out the exact meaning of a passage in its original context.

This book series is not all Tim Keller (he also does Judges and Romans). So while I may not dive into the other author's books (because I'm not familiar
Phillip Howell
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Was Good For Me

These books (God’s Word For You Series) are about being bible centered, Christ glorifying, relevantly applied and easily readable. Keller accomplished all four of those goals in this book. I recommend it for pastors, bible study leaders and anyone wanting an accessible study guide for devotions. I also appreciated his brief appendix on the controversies around the new perspective on Paul. It was short but it was one of the better summaries of the pros and cons of the perspectiv
Angela Chiu
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very meaty book. 185 pages come out of a 5-pager book of Galatians. You can imagine how deep the level of explanation, insights and interpretation. As the book laid out its purpose - this is for YOU to read, thrilling you about gospel freedom; this is for you to feed, helping you meditate on God's word day by day; this is for you to lead, equipping you to teach the bible to the others. Think this book has achieved them all. A lot to ponder.
Stephen Watkinson
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this as a support to preparing for a Bible study on Galatians. Keller is always stimulating and is good at looking things from a fresh angle. You will find his strengths (biblically, rooted, thoughtful application) and his weaknesses (occasionally going off an one his distinctives) on show, but a good read.
Michael
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The God's Word For You series is excellent for average Bible readers and untrained theologians, which makes it an awesome resource for most of us. Galatians is no different, it proves to be a concise, excellent study. Keller is an expert on laying out the mechanics on what it means to live out the Gospel, and the way he spells it out here will be beneficial for even the most seasoned Christian.
Kenneth
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that gives a close reading of St.Paul's letter to the Galatians. Very intense and passionate about Paul's teaching of Justification by Grace, over against a works-righteousness that certain teachers who had come up to Galatia from Jerusalem were teaching. This book of Keller's is excellent for group studies in a church setting or a small group.
  • The Message of Galatians
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • Job: The Wisdom of the Cross
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • The Final Days of Jesus: The Most Important Week of the Most Important Person Who Ever Lived
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Basics for Believers
  • Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative
  • Gospel and Kingdom: A Christian Interpretation of the Old Testament
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • Joshua: No Falling Words

Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy, and three young sons. For over twenty years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.

He is also Chairman of Redeem

God's Word for You (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Exodus for You
  • Judges for You
  • 1 Samuel for You (God's Word for You)
  • 2 Samuel For You: The Triumphs and Tragedies of God's King (God's Word For You)
  • Daniel For You
  • Micah For You: Acting Justly, Loving Mercy
  • Luke 1-12 for You (God's Word for You)
  • Luke 12-24 for You
  • John 1-12 for You
  • Acts 1-12 For You: Charting the birth of the church
“Our hearts love to manufacture glory for themselves.” 2 likes
“Christians who are no longer sure that God loves and accepts them in Jesus, apart from their present spiritual achievements, are subconsciously radically insecure persons, much less secure than non-Christians, because of the constant bulletins they receive from their Christian environment about the holiness of God and the righteousness they are supposed to have. Their insecurity shows itself in pride, a fierce defensive assertion of their own righteousness and defensive criticism of others. They cling desperately to legal, pharisaical righteousness, but envy [and] jealousy and other … sin grow out of their fundamental insecurity.” (Dynamics of Spiritual Life, pages 211-212)” 1 likes