Start by marking “The Silencer” as Want to Read:
The Silencer

The Silencer

Jude Kilburn and his wife Alex have moved from London to Albania to grow the church, in particular by publishing a keen biography of a local hard-man turned Christian. But a clandestine group has made it their mission to stop this work… The Christians sense danger, but the list of potential enemies is long: unreformed ex-paramilitaries, nationalists, mobsters. How and by w ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Highland Books (TN)

To ask other readers questions about The Silencer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silencer

Cora Tea Party Princess
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book.

I usually avoid religious fiction, but I'm glad I read this.

First of all, I love the cover. If I'm honest, that's the main reason I read this book. That and the striking title. It's all grisly-thriller looking and it doesn't disappoint.

The religion in this Christian crime thriller wasn't shoved down your throat. This novel wasn't religious propaganda, the characters were just religious.

This is a beautifully written suspenseful thriller which kept me o
Jean
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” So begins Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities, a book that Londoner Jude Kilburn assigns his Albanian students, one of his tasks as he and his wife Alex have moved from the UK to proclaim their Christian faith to the inhabitants of this eastern European country. Jude is trying especially hard to publish the story of a local bad guy-turned Christian, and in this endeavor, he meets strong resistance.

I was given a copy of this book by the aut
Paul Alkazraji
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)

They said...

‘Paul Alkazraji's novel conveys a vivid and atmospheric impression of life in the Balkans. His characters are believable and real, some of them loveable and slightly eccentric. This is a thriller in the old style, building up a picture with skill and dexterity, and as the plot becomes tense towards the end of the book, it is a real page-turner. Highly recommended!!’

Grace Turner. Author of ‘The Kings Gold’, Monarch Books.

---

Great holiday read

‘I enjoyed this read while taking time o
Tracy Quarrell
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the extremely well written and beautifully told story of Jude and Alex Kilburn who are trying to publish the story of a recent Christian convert with a shady past in his Albanian homeland. The local thugs want to prevent the publication and so the Kilburn's become under siege from a spiritual as well as actual battle from various quarters.
It was a slow burn to begin with but halfway through I could not put this book down, the characters and the story will definitely stay with you. Unfor
Loraine
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenges-2016
SUMMARY: Jude Kilburn and his wife Alex have moved from London to Albania to grow the church, in particular by publishing a keen biography of a local hard-man turned Christian. But a clandestine group has made it their mission to stop this work… The Christians sense danger, but the list of potential enemies is long: unreformed ex-paramilitaries, nationalists, mobsters. How and by whom will the cycle of violence and revenge be foiled?

REVIEW: Rating 3.5
This suspense novel was well written, contain
Brent Soderstrum
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I learned a lot about Albania from reading this novel. It is centered on Jude and his wife Alex who are missionaries from England, in Albania to bring the word of Christ to a former communist country. One of the ways they are doing this is by trying to get a book published about the life of a former atheist who did some bad things for his government. Mehmed is now a Christian and Jude is determined to get his testimony publish
Tonya Mathis
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Not my usual genre. But I enjoyed this book. It was well written. And I could visualize many of the things I was reading. I had a little trouble with some of the language, foreign/not nasty. I would read it again and would read the next book if there is one. I liked the characters that much.
Yibbie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
What an interesting plot and setting! And what a tangle of motives and loyalties. You can really get a feel for the Albanian culture and cuisine, but it was written in such a way that you don’t feel like you’re reading a travelogue.
I really appreciated that our hero wasn’t a ‘super-Christian’. He faced temptations, fears, trials, disappointments, betrayals, and failures then the solution was informed and guided by Scripture, without being preachy. I really feared that it would become wildly mi
SonyaA.
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This is a great read and I really enjoyed reading it. It was well written and love the characters. You can easily connect with them and also the problems that the family Kilburn faces when they want to publish a book about Mehmed,Albanian muslim, who before founding his faith in the Church he was a very violent man involved with massive murders, trafficking and God knows what, are so realistic. And the author so well has described how difficult it is to live on the Balkan when people on higher p ...more
Keith
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Mr. Alkazraji has a unique descriptive style that puts the reader in the scene. This is a well written book that will be enjoyed by most everyone.

The book chronicles the many obstacles along the path to publishing a book about tough guy turned Christian. The reader will enjoy the simpleness of everyday life in Albania through Alkazraji's wonderful writing. His protagonist, Jude Kilburn is a very likable character who overcomes many obstacles to publishing the book.

A delightful read with interest
Gerard Kelly
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve been looking foreward to reading Paul Alkazraji’s ‘The Silencer’, and the experience does not disappoint. At the heart of the book’s strength is Paul’s fine-toothed descriptive prose. This is a man who has fallen in love with Albania, and it is the place, more than anything, that shines in this book. A fast-moving plot and a cast of believable characters help the process along as ‘The Silencer’ draws the reader into the region, its recent history and the unique situation of its churches.

Rec
Jeanette
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must admit that I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book as much as I did. I am also quite selective when it comes to religious fiction, as I am by no means a religious person. I was pleased to see that it was just the characters who were religious. Loved learning a little about the culture etc in Albania. I have been to Turkey and Greece on several occasions. A good page turner. I thank Paul Alkazraji for sending me an e-copy of his book in exchange for an honest review.
Anandraj R
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Paul has given us a gripping thriller in the form of 'The Silencer'.

The plot is about how a young young Christian missionary, Jude publishes a book against all the odds.

The strength of the book lies in its description of events. The scenes in Albania, Turkey & Greece are wonderfully described.

Even though there were few epic quotes from bible, this book and the chars isn't religious.

Very good read!
Tim
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This really is a thriller with a difference!
When most 'targets' in a thriller rely on guns and guile to survive we are presented with a man who relies on the prayer and the power of God to keep him and those he loves from harm.

As well as being an attention grabbing thriller this book brings with it a whole education regarding life in Albania. The colour and attention to detail makes for an enjoyable and easy read.
Kida
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all I thank the author that give me the opportunity to read this book.

It is a book that is very realistic and touches problems that really exist in Balkan.
I really enjoyed it and i recommend it to others as well.
Arnella
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great stand alone novel by Paul Alkazraji.

It was captivating, thought-provoking and, as said before by other readers, the scenes were very well described.

Excellent read!

Apryl Anderson
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I.O.U. a review! This was a truly enjoyable read—not all happiness and light, mind you. It's a thriller from start to finish.
Scott
This was very good Christian Fiction. It brightly illustrated challenges faced by Christians in many parts of the world, this story being mostly following a missionary couple in Albania. I found it entertaining and inspiring and it soberly reminded me that we Christians take our relative freedom and safety in the U.S. far too much for granted.
Christina Yorke
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book tells of the life of two missionaries in Albania...Jude and Alex. They teach English and are helping an ex-convict publish a book about how Jesus turned his life around. Full of characters who are difficult to relate to and a lifestyle I am unfamiliar with, this book was confusing to me. I like the premise but personally couldn't really get into it.
Ian
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
There really is a lot to like about Paul Alkazraji's The Silencer, however those things which I didn't like tended to get in the way.
The book is very well written, using local knowledge to great effect and I especially appreciated some of the small details which embellished the time and place of the various locations in which the action takes place, notably of Turkey and Albania and to a lesser extent Greece.
The plot is a classic race against time as a hitman with a personal grudge closes in on
Rob Miller
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Won a copy and read it. I'm not sure I would pick it up again, because it's a bit heavy handed on the religion aspect.
Aliye Peynirci
Nov 09, 2018
James Lynam
Dec 20, 2013
Mohamed Hadjadj
rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2015
Christian-Fiction...: The Silencer - ends 09/19!!! 1 10 Sep 15, 2014 10:47AM
  • The Devil's Daughters (Lombroso #2)
  • Coaster
  • UltraViolence: A Love Story
  • The Good Assassin
  • Backcut
  • Restoring Hope
  • Bad Blood (DI Charlotte Savage, #2)
  • The Horror Show
  • Orion: Suresh Adventure
  • Killing Daniel
  • A Vision of Angels
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Seeds of Evidence
  • Wormholes
  • Hierarchies of Greed
  • Travels in Elysium
  • The Virgin: Revenge (The Virgin, #1)
  • Solace in So Many Words
Paul Alkazraji (first name Muthena) worked as a freelance journalist in the UK from the mid-nineties. His articles were published in Christianity Magazine, The Christian Herald, The Church Times, The Baptist Times and other publications. His travel articles were also published in The Independent. His first book Love Changes Everything, a collection of seven testimonies, was published by Scripture ...more
“He sat down with a dour face. “Ah, Shqipëria!” he said dropping his head. “Albania will never become Albania with Albanians in it!” He glanced at Jude. “Don’t ask.” 13 likes
“We can’t all be Byronic adventurers like you Jude. Have you been wrestling with any brigands in the mountains there?”
“No, but you’ve got to watch the drivers! Funny you should mention the poetic lord. He used to take his holidays down here, you know?”
“What… picking up last-minute bargains with ‘EasyFrigate’?”
7 likes