Start by marking “David and the Phoenix” as Want to Read:
David and the Phoenix

David and the Phoenix

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  563 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
David has no greater wish than to explore the mountains behind his new home in North Carolina and as he does he finds a wonder never dreamed of, the Phoenix. The Phoenix introduces David to an endless list of his friends from mythology and in the process opens David's eyes to the wide world both the unseen world and seen world. In the unseen world David and the Phoenix sha ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1957)

Erik Graff
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids in need
Recommended to Erik by: it was on the library cart in elementary school
Shelves: literature
Other than Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat, this may have been the first book I ever read on my own. It left an indelible impression and would occasionally mentioned in conversations about reading and childhood over the years. Unlike the Seuss, it was what kids nowadays call "a chapter book"--no pictures except at the head of chapters.

The plot, as I've recalled it over the years, is basically about a lonely little boy who moves to the country, and, having no alternatives and having natural curiosity,
Margo Berendsen
This is one of my childhood favorites and now I'm reading it to my kids. My copy is seriously old - I think 1960's - and I was THRILLED to discover that it's not only on Goodreads, but there is a sort of small cult following for it!

Do you know the difference between a gryffin, gryffon and a gryffen? Where sea monsters like to sleep? How a banshee can be quite helpful for repelling Scientists? How to out-race a witch on a new broomstick?

This book is a treasure trove of little adventures, but the
Ron
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, I think I've read this book before . . . a long, long time ago (though in the local galaxy).

Even as a child's read-aloud book, it wouldn't be so highly rated today, but for a young reader struggling with sounding out the words the style and repetition is a great learning tool. The pomposity of the Phoenix was just enough for someone eight or so years old to get the joke and feel inside.

This Gutenberg edition includes Joan Rayso's enjoyable pen-and-ink illustrations.

A very good read for
Erin
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I am so glad that "David and the Phoenix" has been republished because my family has fought over our tattered, yellow copy for years. It is a FANTASTIC book. Well-written fantasy. Wonderful imagery. Highly recommended.
Dolly
This is a fun story, but I would warn parents that there are some questionable parts that may nor be appropriate for younger children.

For example, the word 'stupid' is used several times, as is the reference to someone slitting another's throat. Also, funeral pyres are discussed, as well as electrocution. I would caution parents to be mindful of their child's maturity level before reading this book together.

Still, our oldest daughter and I enjoyed the production, chuckling often at the silly p
Lillian
This story is AMAZINGGGG!!!! What a hidden gem! How is this book not more well known? It's the best thing that I've read in a long while. To think that it's geared towards children... I say that this book is for the whole family to enjoy. It's loaded with adventure, humor, suspense, MYTHICAL CREATURES, and good fun.

My favorite moment has to be when the town thought a burglar was going about every window...

I had hoped for a more satisfying close to the story as it ended in a bad place, but this b
Beka
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable story, although the ending felt too abrupt for my tastes.
Carolin
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
adorable. i see i neednt worry about what to give the children in my family for their birthdays this year.
KennyO
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Five stars because this book was my youthful introduction (via a young peoples book club) to the world of reading outside my parents urging and the classroom and it instilled an admiration for a good story that's told well. Because of David and the Phoenix I read widely diverse books and laid a foundation for getting in trouble in school for reading far beyond my grade level.
"Vivo, vives, vive..."
Ivan
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly delightful and inspired fantasy adventure. I think that if I'd read this when I was nine or ten years old that it would have been my favorite book. There's a bit of the Peabody and Sherman relationship between David and the Phoenix (and I couldn't tell you which came first). The adventures are inspired. My favorite was the encounter with the faun - perhaps it's because I'm a great fan of Mr. Tumnus - who knows. The book was well written, good natured and entertaining throughout.
AnnaMarie
It was ok. Cute, not much to it.
Inder
This is a "classic" that I had never heard of until it was recommended by a lovely local indie bookstore employee. There are really only two characters- David and the Phoenix! - and the book chronicles their adventures.

I read it to my kids aged almost 5 and 8. I really enjoyed it and found the plot and language delightful. My 4 year old seemed to have a bit of difficulty keeping up with it, but my 8 yo remained engaged throughout. I wouldn't say it captured his imagination the way My Father's D
CM
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been trying to find the book of my grade school years that my teacher read to the class about the phoenix. I could only remember the ending when the phoenix came back to life. I'm not certain, but I think this is what I have been trying to recollect for nearly 50 years! It was a wonderful read and I am certainly glad to have spent another day under the spell of this delightful author!
Linda Smith
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, ten-star
I first read this book back in 1958 because my parents had enrolled me for a year in the Children's Book Club. I have lost count of the number of times I have read David and the Phoenix but, apparently, I am still young enough to enjoy it. The book opens as David and his family are moving into a new house. His backyard ends at a mountain. David has never seen a mountain before and is fascinated by the sight. It is only the first of many fascinating sights that this young boy will behold. Upon cl ...more
Christy
With a tremendous surge of its wings, the Phoenix managed to seize a branch. David's legs slipped from the bird's back, and he dangled over the abyss.
Thus ends the near-disaster of their first flight together. But don't underestimate the Phoenix! Failure only makes David's new-found friend determinded to get into shape so that David's education for Life can proceed.
And...more With a tremendous surge of its wings, the Phoenix managed to seize a branch. David's legs slipped from the bird's back,
Aelvana
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David is thrilled to move into his new house, because he's got a mountain just beyond his backyard that begs to be explored. And the mountain has plenty of secrets---including one very extraordinary bird, the Phoenix! Summer vacation has seldom been more interesting.

The short, simple story wastes no time getting right to the glory within: a legendary bird, an innocent young boy, and an unusual friendship for both. The Phoenix, with its near-500 years of knowledge and wisdom, pontificating person
Preston Lee
Yes, I realize this is in the "childrens" category. And yes, I'm a 29-year-old male. But I do periodically like to venture out of my comfort zone in semi-random directions in hopes of stumbling upon little-known treasure.

From purely an adult perspective, David and the Phoenix is a straightforward adventure story between a boy and a bird that is both a quick and easy read. I have to dock several points, unfortunately, as:

(1) The Kindle 3G version, at least, does NOT contain the illustrations. Ill
Elentarien
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyed this one. Read the 'Gutenberg' version on my Ereader. Its a child's book, so a very quick and easy read for an adult. The story is light and rather humourous. The Phoenix is a bit of a dope, but amusingly so. His boastfulness and pride more a cover, without overshadowing the child character. (Although for a creature of 500 years old, he doesn't seem to know much). They get into some amusing adventures and out again.

My only 'real' complaint about the book is the VERY abrupt ending.
Alison Levie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a student. David discovers a phoenix living on the mountain behind his new house. The phoenix takes him on a host of adventures to learn about other creatures (all of them mythical creatures like unicorns, a faun, a leprechaun). How will David get away from his family to pursue his adventures? Will the scientist who is tracking the bird manage to shoot his so he can study him? Where will the phoenix take David next? There's lots of suspense and a fair amount of ...more
Cori
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it might be sentimental from enjoying this book as a youth, but I just read it again and what can I say? It's dear to my heart. The Phoenix is a memorable, lovable character and David is an innocent, inquisitive young boy looking for adventure. I told my five-year-old daughter a few stories from within the book and she keeps asking for more. I will read it aloud to her someday soon. What's not to love about traveling to distant lands with a large, exotic, talking bird to meet mythical creatur ...more
Relyn
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens & their teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: Loganberry Books
My favorite book website is Loganberry Books. http://www.logan.com/harriett/default...

She is a children's book expert with a vast knowledge of the genre. One of my favorite things she does is solve mysteries. Anyway, one day I was poking around and found this book listed in the most requested books section. People are passionate about this out of print book. If you doubt me, do a search on ABE and check out the prices.

Libraries are a marvelous invention, though. Through inter-library loan, I ch
Josie
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my absolute favourite books as a kid. It hasn't been around the house for years but I have deeply fond memories of it, and remember a good deal of the detail - even the use of the word "debris" which I had never heard of before! I was always fascinated by the crazy, idiosyncratic creatures David and the phoenix visited, and the suspense of their secret adventures. The phoenix was ever-so-slightly annoying but a strong and interesting character, and the ending had a bittersweet ki ...more
Terri
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book as a kid. I'd definitely have given this book 5 stars then. My dad still has his old hardback version from the Children's Weekly Reader club. It is a fun fantasy about a young boy who meets and has fantastic adventures with a phoenix.

As an adult, I found this book to be less fun than I recalled. The phoenix is self absorbed and stuffy, and their adventures are a little crazy and certainly on the dangerous side. (but that is after all, part of the fun to a child, rig
Kym Snell
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is 10 out of 10!!!

I first read David and the Phoenix in 1957 when I was in fifth grade. I was enchanted and have thought about this book all through my life. I have probably read it 20 times as an adult for nothing more than the opportunity to spend some more time with both the Phoenix and David . I could not rate this book on entertainment scale any higher ! It is wonderful and I am going to look to buy two hard copies to give to children of friends, hoping they will be as enchanted a
Adam
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I, like many reviewers here, was smitten with this book in the late 1950's at a very young age. I've browsed the Amazon reviewers and now the reviewers here and for sure there is a "brotherhood and sisterhood" of 1950's youngsters who got old, found themselves in the 21st century, but NEVER forgot David and the one and only Phoenix. For us, David and the Phoenix is a very special book. It imprinted itself in our heads and our hearts. And after all these years we still get a bit "emotional" at th ...more
Read Ng
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A children's book. This book was mentioned often in one of the Honor Harrington works. I had to sample it. I suspect it very likely that the only readers of this book in the last decade are all enticed by the mention in the Honor Harrington book, At All Costs.

A delightful children's book. Best suited for those under 8. It would make for a great bedtime story. It is full of wonder and imagination. It is difficult to properly appreciate how good this story is for an adult. I likely would rate it h
Erin Pierce
Really enjoyed the story, but hated the ending! 3 stars.
Christy
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I joined the Weekly Reader Childrens Book Club in 1957 just so I could have this book. Everybody was reading it, and everybody loved it. Except that I didn't love it. I didn't even "get" it. The Phoenix was always tossing off allusions to classical literature, and taking David to meet mythological creatures that I'd never even heard of. Plus, a funeral pyre? It's not kids' stuff. But now that I'm a grown up I read it often, and I love it.
Mimi
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, what Margo said.....It is truly one of my favorite children's books. Long before Harry Potter, David was on the scene, befriending and caring about the Phoenix and having someone make his world magical. Highly recommend but no, you can't have my beloved well thumbed ancient copy! Silly good reads. The date I finished the book the first time? or the last 20 or so dates I've gone back to enjoy this story?

Cody VC
Picked this up because the title was evocative and the cover was pretty much blank - the book was a first edition, belonging to my grand-uncle - and was briefly disappointed upon discovering it was a childrens' book but read it anyway. I'm glad I did - it's really quite good for what it is. A fun read, and the illustrations are terrific.
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • The Wonderful O
  • Sisters, Long Ago
  • Shadow Castle
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Song of the Gargoyle
  • The Angelus Guns
  • The Waiting Stars
  • In the Sight of Akresa
  • Dragon Stew
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • Watchbird
Edward Ormondroyd grew up in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, and Ann Arbor, Michigan. During WWII he served onboard a destroyer escort, participating in the invasions of Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

After the war he attended the University of California at Berkeley, where he received a bachelor's degree in English. Later he went back for a master's degree in library science.

He lived in Berkeley for 25 years, wo
More about Edward Ormondroyd...