Start by marking “Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas” as Want to Read:
Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas

Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas

In this Chinese American retelling of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," a careless Goldy Luck wreaks havoc on the home of a family of panda bears. She eats up the littlest panda’s rice porridge, breaks his rocking chair, and rumples all the blankets on his futon. When Goldy takes responsibility for her actions, she makes a new friend (and a whole plate of turnip cakes!) ju ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas

Start your review of Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas
Calista
My last book for Chinese New Year, the library got it to me a little late.

This is a retelling of Goldilocks and the 3 bears. It is centered around Chinese New Year celebrations and it's very cute. Goldy is a clumsy girl and her mother tells her to take the neighbors some Turnip cakes, recipe in the back of the book. She knocks and the door opens and she spills the turnip cakes on the floor. The rest is like the story we know.

The ending, Goldy is happy because she helps them clean up her mess and
Lata
Nice retelling of the Goldilocks story, but in a much more interesting, contemporary setting. Young Goldy has to deliver turnip cakes to her next door neighbours, the Chans (who happen to be pandas!), and while there, well, there were these bowls of congee.....
Goldy is actually more thoughtful than the other girl, and actually returns to apologize for her messes. A cute story, with lovely artwork and pleasing colours. And there’s a recipe at the end for turnip cakes. :)
La Coccinelle
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is how you take a story from one cultural tradition and adapt it to another. Unlike The Chinese Emperor's New Clothes , which felt the need to take a rude swipe at the original source material, Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas takes the original "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" story and adapts it to a Chinese New Year theme. It's a bit gentler than the original, since Goldy isn't breaking any laws; she's actually the Chans' neighbour, and she goes over to their house to deliver some turn ...more
Jesa Rachele Burgoyne
#FemmeFanTale
Continent: Asia
Prompt: Read a book written by a Malaysian author
Kim Brennan
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
1.)Reflection on ONE: Text to text, text to self, or text to world connection for each book
While I read the story of Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas, I found myself comparing it to the book Goldilocks and the Three Bears because the two stories are so similar. The author included the traditional elements of any sort of Goldilocks story including having a young girl visit a house of bears while they are gone and trying out their different things such as their food and resting places. By the end o
Carrie Charley Brown
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fractured tale is a delightful way to teach children about the Chinese New Year traditions. Cultural education is presented throughout the story in a very age appropriate, interesting way and also in the back matter. The illustrations add depth to the Chinese New Year rituals and preparations, with lots of red to bring good luck.

As a first grade teacher, I embrace opportunities for children to make text to text connections and comparisons. Analyzing this story in comparison to other fractur
Steven R. McEvoy
My youngest daughter is nuts about Pandas. She collects Panada stuffies, she has Pandas on her bed covers. She had done at least 3 school projects on Pandas. She just cannot get enough of them. This year they need to pick their school library books from the computer and reserve them. This was one of the first library books she has had since the 2020 Pandemic began. And she had mixed feelings about it. Normally if any book has Pandas in it, it is usually 5/5 stars, occasionally 4/5 but this one o ...more
Leslie
Still waking for the day, Goldy runs the errand for her mother rather begrudgingly. Finding the Chan’s apartment empty, she also finds the congee (rice porridge) too much to resist, same with the chairs and beds. Of course, the Chan’s know who she is when she runs away. It is a wonderful twist that Goldy cannot forget what she’s done and how it affects her neighbors. The apology goes over well and she begins her new year on a high note, suggesting maybe that some wealth and good luck can be made ...more
Aeicha
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Natasha Yim’s picture book, Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas, is an adorable and sweet Chinese American Goldilocks and Three Bears retelling. Little Goldy is sent by her mother, on the Chinese New Year, to wish their panda neighbors happy new year and bring them a plate of yummy turnip cakes, but the neighbors aren’t home and upon entering their home Goldy drops the turnip cakes all over the floor! What follows is a familiar set of events, but with a wonderful new cultural twist.

I love this pictu
Roberta Gibson
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas by Natasha Yim and illustrated by Grace Zong is a lively picture book that is a wonderful introduction to Chinese New Year traditions.

The main character, Goldy Luck, isn’t enthusiastic about taking turnip cakes to the Chan family for the New Year. After all, things hadn’t been going that well for her the previous year and she just woke up. Things get even worse when she spills the turnip cakes on the Chan’s floor, is so hungry she eats their food without permissio
Erin
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multi-cultural
Text to Self Connection: Though this story is a fictional story, I couldn’t help but relate to the main character Goldy. In this story, Goldy is portrayed as very clumsy and I am one of the clumsiest people I know (i.e. I fall down steps). I also related to Goldy when she went to sit in papa bear’s chair because it has the roller massage built into in and it hurts Goldy. I, too, think that those built in massagers hurt, especially the ones at nail salons! In a way, Goldy seemed a little bit pick ...more
Lydia
Jun 16, 2015 added it
Shelves: multicultural
Text-to-Self Connection: The setting of Chinese New Year reminds me a time I was visiting Chinatown in Chicago, Illinois. Some friends and I enjoyed good food and watched a very colorful and interesting parade. It was quite the celebration!

Rationale: This book is culturally specific to Chinese culture. It seems the setting is either in China or in Chinatown somewhere. The language and references used are specific to Chinese culture and tradition.

Blooms Taxonomy Questions/Prompts:
1. Remembering:
Amy Timmerman
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
1. A text to text connection I made is to the story Goldilocks and the Three Bears. They both had similar plots, but this book put a spin on the characters and objects found in the story. It is also a great book to discuss the Chinese New Year with as well.

2. This book is culturally specific because it ties in details and illustrations that relate to the Asian American culture. There are specific types of food, sayings, and holidays referred to in the story that are true to the Asian American c
Diane
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A retelling of Goldilocks that happens on Chinese New Year. When Goldy goes next door to deliver turnip cakes to the Chans, they are not home. The first thing Goldy encounters is congee in three bowls, then three chairs (one a vibrating one) and then three beds. The story proceeds as the folk tale until the end. When Goldy starts to feel bad about breaking Little Chan's chair and eating all his congee, so she returns to help fix things.

Includes information at the back regarding Chinese New Year,
June
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-guy
This is such a cute and funny book. As you can imagine it's based on the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story but the main girl in this book is a Chinese girl celebrating Chinese New Year, and the three bears are, naturally, pandas. I like that after making a mess at the panda family's house, Goldy regretted that she ran off and actually went back to their house to apologize and make amends. It's a feel good story for a new year and you can have a glimpse at how other culture celebrates New Year ...more
mg
A very cute fractured folk tale combining Goldilocks and the Three Bears with Chinese New Year. A lovely introduction to the holiday for preschoolers-K.

Author's Note at the end along with further information on the Chinese Zodiac and a (kid-friendly) recipe for making turnip cakes. Should a teacher or caregiver want to expand the lesson for children beyond simply reading the book, Natasha Yim has certainly provided a few avenues for that.

(Also, I'm totally curious to try a turnip cake now. Kinda
Samantha
This retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is set during Chinese New Year and contains many symbols from Chinese culture.

The rewrite works well and the extended ending whereby Goldilocks struggles with guilt before setting things right makes for a good conclusion.

An author's note follows the story explaining rituals present in the story as well as the Chinese zodiac. A recipe for turnip cake is also included.

Highly recommended as a read aloud during a fairytale unit and especially during
Teresa
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An adorable, clever and culturally enlightening (for those not familiar with the culture) re-envisioning of the Goldilocks tale with very cute illustrations!

I just have a personal aversion to the expression "gung hei fat choi" because growing up, it was said almost facetiously by my parents' friends. I much prefer the "sun neen fai lok" phrase which is the plain but more sincere-sounding "happy New Year."
Darinda
A retelling of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." In this version, Goldy Luck is a young Chinese American girl who creates chaos in the home of her neighbors, the panda bears.

I liked that this book took the story further, and told of how Goldy Luck dealt with the chaos she created in the home of the panda bears. Also, a cute story for introducing a different culture to young kids. The book discusses the Chinese New Year and its traditions.
Kim Patton
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emilie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Me and my children all LOVED this book. Not only is it well told, fun, whimsical, and well illustrated, but it teaches along the way without being preachy. Children (and adults) learn about Chinese New Year, it's traditions and the book even includes a recipe in the back for a food item mentioned in the text. A huge and emphatic 5 stars! ...more
The Styling Librarian
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas by Natasha Yim, illustrated by Grace Zong – This is a very cute story about a little girl who believes in having good luck and hope for a new year. The book introduces the Chinese New Year traditions a little bit throughout. Also, it has a lovely spin-off of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This is a special book.
Leslie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, holiday
A solid addition to the school library--with obvious fairy tale and Lunar New Year connections. Good back matter: author's note, Chinese Zodiac and lucky character information and a recipe for turnip cakes. ...more
Katie Logonauts
Chinese New Year retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears features poor Goldy Luck, who is worried about being unlucky for another year. Her fear of bad luck (and her extreme tiredness) lead her into some predictable situations ... but with a twist for the ending!
Beyond the Pages
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a very playful and thoughtful rendering of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I really liked it. From the storyline to the illustrations, this book was a colorful, creative work. The author's note was helpful and helped me better understand the cultural significance of what was in the book.
Tina Qualls
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute ethnic version of the original. Great author's note in the back to answer cultural questions. Recipe included for turnip cakes too using daikon radishes. ...more
Marguarite Markley
What a fun and original take on the Goldilocks story. I love the flow, the vocabulary, and the illustrations. Wonderful new addition to the fractured fairy tale set.
Elaine
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A retelling of a classic story set in contemporary Chinatown. Quite enjoyable!
Josie B.
A retelling of the traditional tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas expands on the story, with Goldy recognizing she behaved badly and attempting to make amends. Her reward is a new friend. This would be long for my regular preschool class of 3-5 year olds, but would work well if in a K-2nd grade special stoytime about the Chinese New Year. Noting it for next year.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun retelling of Goldilocks and the three bears, perfect for my kindergartener to go with our China study.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hike
  • Princess Hair
  • The Nian Monster
  • Me & Mama
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Ohana Means Family
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • My Very Favorite Book in the Whole Wide World