Start by marking “What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off (a Penguin Special from Portfolio)” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  748 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Many of us breathe a grateful TGIF when Friday rolls around, envisioning a weekend full of both productivity and refreshment. Yet too often our precious weekends seem to disappear, eaten up by unproductive work or leisure that fails to energize us. Monday morning comes too fast, finding us still unrested, with too much still undone.
Time management expert Laura Vanderkam,
ebook
Published December 1st 2012 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend

Elizabeth
Laura Vanderkam's eBook, What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off, has been released at a typical resolution-making time - the end of a year. This guide promotes the idea that with a structural plan, people can make better use of their time off work.

I cannot speak for every person, but I do know that I am often frustrated by my lack of productivity at the end of a weekend. It's not that I hadn't wanted to visit that art gallery, take a
Stella
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Before I say anything about this e-booklet, I just want to say that I loved, loved 168 Hours. It was useful, well researched and it was more or less a newish concept. And I kept rereading bits and pieces for a while and implementing some tips in my life.

And because I loved that book so much, I kept reading this author.

I read her blog for a while (but she comes off as really pretentious on it), then I read her next book "All the Money in the World" - which appeared to be put together in a hurry
Julia Coney
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I learn so much from books by Laura Vanderkam. This smaller books are quick reads with a wealth of knowledge. I still refer to 168 Hours because it was the book that got me more organized. I will add this to the rotation to read with each season. You can never have too much information on being better.
Russ
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: personal-growth
Answer to the book's title: plan ahead. That's the key to weekend success. Now you don't have to read the book.
loafingcactus
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
If you read the booklet and do what it says, you will definitely get your money's worth. So I don't really have anything to complain about, and yet I will. I was really surprised when I got to the end of the book- chunk, that's it?! It was as if the writer suddenly became bored with the subject and decided to stop. Or maybe that is all the write thought the intended reader wants?

I would have liked to have seen more interviews/examples from recognized high performing individuals. The person who b
Joy
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great little read on the importance of rest and finding things to enjoy on the weekend. I love that she included as part of that, giving yourself away {ie doing things for others}. I appreciated this little gem very much.
Jen Turrell
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great one from Laura Vanderkam! I have steadily working my way through all of her books and have really loved them all so far. 168 Hours, You have more time than you think was the first one I read and it completely changed the way I look at the hours I spend on different tasks every week. That is the best takeaway that I have gotten from all of her books is to look at the time I spend weekly on tasks, use solid blocks of time to deal with specific high-level tasks, and then plan out my l ...more
Adam Rogers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a surprising book. It's short, sweet and actionable. I got a lot from reading this. Planning a weekend is one area I've failed a lot. I often find myself thinking I want down time, but then by midday Saturday, I'm annoyed I'm not doing anything!

This book gives me a system to get past those frustrations. With a research-driven approach to boosting energy, joy, and happiness, I'm happy to give the tips in this book a good try!
Samantha
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
There's better books than this. Plan what you want to get done be it a weekend or a weekday...make time for leisure or you will just waste your days,be lazy and not accomplish and enjoy the life you have. Not worth the money spent on this.
brittany_reads
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to this on audio as well. Definitely want to make better use of my weekends!
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This is a very short book (no wasted time!) on how to prioritize your off time. I really liked it and found a few great tips that will hopefully lead to more fulfilling weekends.
Sharon Louise Porter
Insightful

Insightful book that opens your mind to how much time we really have and how do we use it. When our week is shown in hours, it really does make you re-evaluate!
Harish Kumaravel
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad, expected it to be a little more comprehensive. Overall a good read.
Keren Threlfall

What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off (Laura Vanderkam)

Although I read this book as a stay-at-home mom with three little ones who still need care on the weekends (i.e., weekdays sometimes blur into weekends, though they come accompanied with my husband's (huge!) help), I nonetheless found this book challenging me to think about how my husband and I (and our children) spend our weekends. Having read Laura's other time  books, I didn'
Rowena Morais
e Book

Title : What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend. A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off
Author : Laura Vanderkam, author of 168 Hours
Price : USD2.99

The author of 168 Hours : You Have More Time Than You Thin
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A good reminder that recharging the batteries over the weekend is essential and lends itself to being more productive during the work week. Planning ahead will also ensure you wind up doing things you enjoy over the weekend, which can ultimately be more relaxing and satisfying than doing nothing.
Jono
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
3.5
Catherine Gillespie
Rather than working all weekend or letting the weekend fade into mindless internet or channel surfing, Vanderkam suggests that you’ll get better results from choosing 3-5 “anchor events” for your weekend in advance. She thinks of it as cross-training–neither overwork nor too much doing nothing.

The book does a great job of profiling busy people who make times for a restorative weekend, discussing relevant research, and offering practical suggestions for how to make sure your weekends leave you re
Pauline
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have not read 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think so I don't know how many of the ideas were explored there. For me, there were some useful insights, such as, doing nothing may be less refreshing than doing something, and the importance of minimizing chores. I plan to read it again and think about what changes I can make to my weekend habits.
As other reviewers have said, this book is very short, but, if your weekends leave you less than delighted, then for the price of a chai latte, t
Shuan
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
We all know that Weekends are precious. Yet few of us plan for them. That's not very clever, isn't it?

The author encourages us to plan ahead for these precious days of the week. Exercising, socializing, and spiritual times are proven to make us happy and recharged. In addition, planning ahead for the weekend leads to anticipation, which has a multiplier effect on the goodness that these activities give to us.

A simple but wise tip in a short and readable form. May we all have better weekends and
Jill
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another very short ebook/extended essay I listened to as an audiobook. And I loved it. I thought it was a great perspective on weekends and that while we may be tempted to think there will always being another weekend ahead to do what we'd really like to do, no one knows what the future holds so planning and prioritizing what time we have is worth it. The memories we create with our lives are worth the hassle and highs and lows of making them.

Have you heard all this it before? I don't know. List
Ashely Clark
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short essay of sorts that I read in about 30 mins. I've heard Modern Mrs. Darcy talk about her weekend anchor events which is a concept from this book, so I finally decided to read it. She talks about feeling like you don't really know how you spent your weekend which happens to me quite a bit lately. You schedule anchor events to give some structure. I used to do this without really realizing it. I'm going to implement her concept and see if that can help me now feel like I'm wasting ...more
Justin
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like most of the series, this is a light and breezy read. My takeaway was to plan for the weekend (to-do-list, calendar) just as you would a work day. The difference is the items should be fun, life-afirming, or otherwise personally advantageous. She divides the weekend into five discrete parts: Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night, Sunday morning, and Sunday evening. Thinking and planning this way will help you get off the couch and make something of your weekend before it evaporates.
Nancy
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just so enjoy Laura Vanderkam's writing style and how she tackles great topics like time management, financial health, etc. I bought this short for the Kindle, several months after getting and reading her short book, "what the most successful people do before breakfast." She's so sensible and encouraging, and she's the kind of author I'd love to meet for coffee and talk about her writing and her work

I wish this one were a little more specific and longer, but overall a great read.
Nikhil Kumra
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"What the Most SUccessful People do Before Breakfast" was a great read and was the start of truly changing my habits. If "Before Breakfast" was valuable to me, then "...On the Weekend" was twice as valuable - and was seemingly twice as challenging initially. So simplistic in principle, yet one of those concepts that one truly does not every really think about. We have 40 hours every weekend?? Really?? We do!
Timothy Nichols
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fast read packed with great tips for using your rest time to actually get rested and recharged for the coming week. The time and energy I spent reading this book and doing a few of the exercises in it -- this book will save me that much time this week, to say nothing of the hours of restless "rest" and frustration it will save me over the remainder of the year. Well worth the small amount of time you'll spend reading it.
diane
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very quick read but well worth the ideas presented.

Basically, plan your damn weekend so you don't end up sucked into screens and wasting the time you have to really get some meaning out of life.

It's sort of a combination of DER, I knew that, and WOW that's a really helpful bit of advice. A good combo, I think. I'm going to make my husband read it.
C.G.
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-book-list
Very short, but full of good ideas for making the most of your weekend. Even ideas mentioned in passing (like the List of 100, and working on Saturday but leaving the emails in draft, instead of sending them), were enough to make me stop and think...and start my own lists and weekend plans. Easy to read, helpful advice, and a new way to look at how you spend your days "off".
Tim Maurer
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I believe the pursuit of success has gotten a little out of control, but Laura Vanderkam writes very well and always keeps her feet on the ground, providing balanced and applicable insight. I read this over summer vacation, and I found that all of the lessons about how best to spend our time over weekends applied almost perfectly to vacation as well.
Manoj
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
something to re-read and implement. need to plan weekend - otherwise they slip away

Excellent short read on how to effectively use weekends
- Anticipation Is Half the Pleasure
- Having Anchor points (3-5)
- 60 hours b/w Fri 6PM to Mon 6AM; -24 hr sleep = 36 hours up for planning"
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More
  • Book: A Futurist's Manifesto
  • J.M.W. Turner, 1775-1851: The World of Light and Colour
  • Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion
  • Great on the Job: What to Say, How to Say It. The Secrets of Getting Ahead.
  • Under This Beautiful Dome: A Senator, A Journalist, and the Politics of Gay Love in America
  • The Complete 101 Collection
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • The Seventy Great Mysteries of the Ancient World
Laura Vanderkam is the author of several time management and productivity books, including Off the Clock, I Know How She Does It, What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast, and 168 Hours.

Her 2016 TED talk, "How to Gain Control of Your Free Time," has been viewed more than 5 million times.

She regularly appears in publications including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Fast C
More about Laura Vanderkam

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert talks about this phenomenon in his 2006 book, Stumbling on Happiness. “The greatest achievement of the human brain is its ability to imagine objects and episodes that do not exist in the realm of the real,” he writes. “The frontal lobe—the last part of the human brain to evolve, the slowest to mature, and the first to deteriorate in old age—is a time machine that allows each of us to vacate the present and experience the future before it happens.” This time travel into the future—otherwise known as anticipation—accounts for a big chunk of the happiness gleaned from any event. As you look forward to something good that is about to happen, you experience some of the same joy you would in the moment. The major difference is that the joy can last much longer. Consider that ritual of opening presents on Christmas morning. The reality of it seldom takes more than an hour, but the anticipation of seeing the presents under the tree can stretch out the joy for weeks. One study by several Dutch researchers, published in the journal Applied Research in Quality of Life in 2010, found that vacationers were happier than people who didn’t take holiday trips. That finding is hardly surprising. What is surprising is the timing of the happiness boost. It didn’t come after the vacations, with tourists bathing in their post-trip glow. It didn’t even come through that strongly during the trips, as the joy of travel mingled with the stress of travel: jet lag, stomach woes, and train conductors giving garbled instructions over the loudspeaker. The happiness boost came before the trips, stretching out for as much as two months beforehand as the holiday goers imagined their excursions. A vision of little umbrella-sporting drinks can create the happiness rush of a mini vacation even in the midst of a rainy commute. On some level, people instinctively know this. In one study that Gilbert writes about, people were told they’d won a free dinner at a fancy French restaurant. When asked when they’d like to schedule the dinner, most people didn’t want to head over right then. They wanted to wait, on average, over a week—to savor the anticipation of their fine fare and to optimize their pleasure. The experiencing self seldom encounters pure bliss, but the anticipating self never has to go to the bathroom in the middle of a favorite band’s concert and is never cold from too much air conditioning in that theater showing the sequel to a favorite flick. Planning a few anchor events for a weekend guarantees you pleasure because—even if all goes wrong in the moment—you still will have derived some pleasure from the anticipation. I love spontaneity and embrace it when it happens, but I cannot bank my pleasure solely on it. If you wait until Saturday morning to make your plans for the weekend, you will spend a chunk of your Saturday working on such plans, rather than anticipating your fun. Hitting the weekend without a plan means you may not get to do what you want. You’ll use up energy in negotiations with other family members. You’ll start late and the museum will close when you’ve only been there an hour. Your favorite restaurant will be booked up—and even if, miraculously, you score a table, think of how much more you would have enjoyed the last few days knowing that you’d be eating those seared scallops on Saturday night!” 3 likes
“You have fewer than 1,000 Saturdays with each child in your care before they’re grown up.” 2 likes