Start by marking “The League” as Want to Read:
The League

The League

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Just when it seems that his football dreams are history, Wyatt's older brother, Aaron, makes an unexpected offer: If Wyatt ditches golf camp, he can play with Aaron in the League of Pain: the roughest and most secretive rogue football league in town.

Now Wyatt has a choice. He can play by the rules like he always does, or he can follow his heart—even if it means lying to th
Published September 10th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

Ben
Nov 18, 2015 added it
The League is a sports book written by Thatcher Heldring. You are first introduced to a scrawny eighth grader, Wyatt, who is picked on and has a secret crush on his next door neighbor/best friend Evan. Wyatt is superb at golf and his family does nothing but play golf. Wyatt wants to start playing football to impress Evan. Wyatt’s brother Alex tells him about a secret football league. Only the people who play in this secret league know it exists. The one catch is that there are no rules when you ...more
Addison Ehart
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helen Vilaranda
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple story of a 14-year-old boy trying to be grown up. He wants to play football-his Dad wants him to play golf. Whats a 14-year-old supposed to do-the only thing he thinks he can is to lie! In the end, he finds out, lying wasn't the best thing to do!
Will
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was an okay book and it was kinda boring.
Cameron
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think that this was another great football book and a good book about bullying and about lying. I think it was a great book to teach a lesson about lying. A all in all great book.
4 Carly K
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for people who like football.
Jaxsen
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
One of the best sport books I have ever read.
Zach Naces
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
The beginning and middle of the novel was very good, where he was changing himself and the new experience of things he thought he would never do.I would have given it more stars, but the end was very rushed and not amusing in where they make peace and main character Wyatt suggest to the now new friendship bond "So, you want to get a corn dog," the humor the author tried to put was just not working out, where the author left many unanswered questions.
Sergio Cruz
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is really cool because it is about some teenagers that want to join sports but his parent do not let him join football . They say it is a dangerous sport , in the past history on the news there has been injuries,broken bones and concussions. This boy named Wyatt he is 14yrs old he wants to play football because there been some kid that has been bullying him every time during the school year and he got tired of it already. So Wyatt thinks if he plays football he will look tough and nob ...more
Carson Hamilton
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Yingling
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wyatt has a good best friend, Francis; an awesome friend who is a girl, Evan; involved parents, and a pretty good life. But he is also dealing with Spencer Randle, who steals his lunch money and threatens to beat him up, and the fact that Evan finds older football player Brian to be brain-bendingly cute. When Wyatt's parents sign him up for a summer golf camp, he complains to his older brother, Aaron, and the two come up with a plan. Aaron is claiming to do volunteer work in a local park for the ...more
Parkhurstjordan
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book entitled "The League" fit my genre very well it had just enough sporty events and mixed with wyatt's personality that I loved it I finished it in two days and thats because I could never put it down because it grabbed me and said read me because of how good the cover was. I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but this book had an amazing cover I just had to check it out. Wyatt Parker is just an ordinary kid but because of his rebleness he gets to play in the league the roughe ...more
Anne
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Wyatt is a conscientious student who is a target for bullies and unpopular with girls. The last straw for him is when his parents sign him up for golf camp over the summer instead of letting him play football. A surprising offer from his older brother to play in a very rough, very secret football league leads Wyatt into many moral dilemmas.
One thing that really bothered me was that Wyatt's best friend is a girl named Evan. Every time I read the name Evan, I pictured a boy. Very frustrating, but
Kbilling
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is realistic fiction, Wyatt is a nerd who can't make friends and stand up to bullies, so he comes up with a plan, playing football in a secret league with his brother, but there is one problem, his parents signed him up for Golf camp with one of his best friends.
While reading this book i saw that doing what you like can even help you make friends and or stand up to bullies. When he realizes getting hit for the first time doesn't even hurt a lot, he feels like he can do anything!
I wou
Badgeraubrey
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because of the flow it had i felt it had no bumps in the road and nothing to confuse me. The summary of the book is Wyatt is on a “date” with the hottest girl in school and the best football player on the team come in and the girl goes all coocoo for him which make Wyatt think if he played football he could be more than friends with girls. So the next morning he asked his brother to play pass and when they're playing pass Aaron his older brother asks him if he ditches gol ...more
Jill
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
The cover of this sports book really grabbed me. Wyatt is a middle child who always followed the rules until the summer after his 8th grade school year. His older brother, Aaron, convinces him to play football in the League of Pain instead of attending golf camp. Tired of being bullied, Wyatt joins the league and begins a string of lies to his parents and his best friend. My expectations were high and this book failed to meet them. I can see fans of Lupica enjoying The League, but not enough act ...more
Carson Anderson
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The League by Thatcher Heldring was a fantastic book. I really enjoyed this book because it was very energetic and exciting. I also liked how Wyatt's parents wouldn't let him play football during the summer but then they let him.

Wyatt a 13 year old boy who plays golf doesn't really like to play golf but he does because his dad makes him. He thinks that golf is really boring and he just really wants to play football instead.

I recommend this book to kids in 6-7 grade because it has some easy wo
Andrew Garton
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the book The league Wyatt is an 8th grader who wants to play football but his parents wont allow him to play football so he sneaks away to play two hand touch with a few friends from school when he comes home his parents find out he was playing football later that night his brother asks him if he wants to play in the league of pain. The league of pain is a hidden tackle football league that starts 2 weeks from the 4th of July every day the two teams played and then the championship was on the ...more
Allen H
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best book I read in this class. It has to do with football and has a lot of drama. This book is good for ages 10 and up because this book is not hard to read but this is not the type of book you want your kid reading if you think he will go out and do what this kid did.Tis book is about unorganized football.This kid plays football with out telling his parents and this team has no parents supervision.
Austin Graham
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book tells the inspiring true story of a 9th grader, Wyatt, who desperately wants to play football but his parents tell him no because he is too small. Just when it seems he will never get to play football, his brother tells him about the league of pain. The catch is that there are no coaches, no rules, and Wyatt will be playing against kids double his size. Will Wyatt follow his dreams or will he back down at the sight of those giants?
Justyn Ooi
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot, probably because it contains drama and contents that I like. The difficulty isn't that high; its a fairly easy book to read. The reason I liked this book is because I could relate to the main character, a kid who's scared to play a contact sport but is still passionate about it. If you're looking for a book that's easy to read but interesting, I would recommend this book.
Logan Travis
The book was good in my opinion. My favorite part of the book was whenever Wyatt Parker started playing football even tho his dad wants him to play golf. That's my favorite part because he did everything he as done everything he can to be better than the best quarterback in the state to impress the girl he loves.
Jpaulson
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Totally predictable, but a good read for struggling boy readers. Wyatt is an 8th grader who is pretty much a perfect student until he chooses to lie about playing summer football to every one he cares about like his parents, his best friend, and a Evan, a girl he wants to be more than friends with. Good but definitely not great.
Dayton
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book was a great book. For one, I love reading sports book so this book fit in well. The book is also about my favorite sport, football so I really loved it. The one that I didn't like is the way the book ended. The book ended on a really weird not. I felt like it left me hanging.
Andrea
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I should have my son read this. Wyatt really wants to play football, but his parents have him signed up for golf camp. He joins a secret football league with his brother and learns a few things about himself along the way.
Robert
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is good for people who like baseball and football. I thought this book was good
Linda
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
It's like The Sandlot, meets football. Cute story that brings you right back to middle school where your interests change, your friends change and your parents want to call all the shots.
Gail Shipley
Good read but has bullies and some aggressive behavior in it.
Amy
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great boy book!
Jacob Eichelser
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for sporty kids

Very cool book and uses appropriate language for children
I couldn't put the book down
Age: 8-15