Start by marking “The Darkening” as Want to Read:
The Darkening

The Darkening

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
IT BEGINS WITH A BLACKOUT.

All electrical power ceases to run. Even the sun seems a little dimmer. Cities come to a halt. And then their inhabitants vanish.

But a small, clandestine group of warriors has been preparing for this moment for centuries. Their hopes rest on two strangers, a thousand miles apart, who hold the keys to the world’s salvation: Dylan Barnes, a martial
Mass Market Paperback, 413 pages
Published July 2004 by Dell (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkening

Mark
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans wanting quick brain candy
Shelves: horror
I liked this book. However, I didn't LOVE this book. McGrew explores some well-trod ground here; it's tough to write a good Lovecraftian book. Almost all of the major horror writers have written a Lovecraftian book, not to mention Lovecraft himself!

Plot
The plot is that the world ends and the remnants of two super secret fraternal organizations dating from before recorded history are fighting for the fate of the world. One group wants to bring the "Old Ones" to our dimension to rule/destroy the w
Lise
Aug 08, 2009 rated it liked it
A book about the fight against a Lovecraftian horror. As Mark says in his review, it's a curious handling of the end of the world, as there is very little coverage of survivors except for the protagonists themselves. The few survivors we do meet all react the same way, which works to advance the theme of the book but doesn't seem quite realistic. McGrew is far too caught up in issues of faith, it's loss and recovery, without really understanding what it means to look at things from a scientific ...more
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a hand me down book that was a quick read with some interesting religious/mythical ideas. I liked the beginning much more than the end. The ending was actually kind of blah! I found it to be a book that I enjoyed while reading; however, it is not one that will stand out in my memory.
Lee
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story took off with the pedal to the metal on page two with action and thrills. Reading the back jacket, didn't really think it was going where it did, with the good vs. evil, from ancient times. The ending wasn't quite as good as the rest, but a fun ride anyway.
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
The first 50 or so pages had me very interested in the story, but it quickly fell flat. Then, 200 pages of characters running and hiding in town after town became tedious. The prose quickly became pedestrian and many times confusing, especially in the Keep's lower level battle with the enemy. I never got a real sense of atmosphere or terror, as the book's cover touts. Where was the passion in the writing? It felt like the author was just going through the motions to meet his annual book quota. I ...more
Mspriest1
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was tedious to read. The plot was not very interesting and the characters were not described in depth. There was some good description of the atmosphere and battle scenes. However, liked the positive ending.
M
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It's a bit claustrophobic with it's limited POVs and characters, but that also personalizes the story. The only disappointing thing about this is a somewhat lackluster ending. But still an enjoyable read.
Colleen
May 05, 2011 is currently reading it
Just starting reading it, not sure what I think about it yet.
Loraine
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding and chilling horror story. A must read for all horror fans.
Carrie
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was a hard book to read, had to keep forcing myself to pick it up again. it did get marginally better, kind of plodded for the first half.
Pokrzywka
Jul 16, 2012
Sue
Aug 06, 2011
Kimberly
rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2007
Shiloh Morris
May 04, 2015
Robert Hopkins
Mar 29, 2013
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not much to say. In parts satisfying, and in some, not so much.
Holly
Sep 05, 2016
David Pyle
Aug 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Chandler McGrew,who began writing after he had turned forty lives in quiet seclusion in the mountains of Maine. He writes ten to twelve hours a day.

Born in Texas he lived for almost a decade in Alaska where his first novel, Cold Heart, is set. He followed with Night Terror and then The Darkening and In Shadows.
More about Chandler McGrew...