Start by marking “Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition” as Want to Read:
Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition

Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  284 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Nature'¬?s cycles affect not only the external climate, but also our internal health and mental well-being. With this as its primary tenet, STAYING HEALTHY WITH THE SEASONS revolutionized the fields of preventive and integrated medicine when it was first published in 1981, and introduced a seasonal approach to nutrition, disease prevention, and mind-and-body fitness. A lea ...more
Published April 23rd 2003 by Celestial Arts (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Staying Healthy with the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying Healthy with the Seasons

Jackie
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Total quackary. The introduction, basics and conclusion are pure garbage. Astrology? Seriously?

But that said, I do like the idea of paying attention to the seasons and how our body and mind need different things at different times of the year. So I will continue to keep it around and read each season as it comes.

Kateburgau
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the very best books I've ever read about how to keep balance in the body during the different seasons of the year.... Very important to people living in places like minnesota who experience such extreme cycles.
Freya Magnusson
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-read
I love this book! I got to hear Dr. Haas lecture at the 15th annual UCSF Integrative Medicine conference and it was a great experience. Marin County has a gem and his name is Dr. Haas.
Sarah Macdonald
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little outdated but otherwise a delightful introduction to the philosophy of Chinese medicine and eating with the seasons.
Sam  Bronstein
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
A very informative book. Written with great finesse, making it an easy read to learn how you can create a better body and overall health.
Loree
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in being healthy
Recommended to Loree by: Joshual Rosenthal
Elson Haas, the author is someone I took instruction from at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. He is the founder and director of the Preventive Medical Center in San Rafael, California.

This book provides readers with good advice about how to be in balance with nature and ideas about how to be synchronized with the seasons. What I like about this book is that it blends Eastern healing traditions with those of the West. He relates winter to the Chinese Five Element System, provides suggesti
Aqiylah
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my first books on holistic health, I turn to it frequently. By far his best book ever, Hass covers the body systems in relation to the seasons, and how to support health and maintain balance through the use of food, herbs, fitness, astrology and more. There is also an appendix with health charts and assessment tools for the practitioner. I love this book and recommend it highly!
Anna Long
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great simple guide to understanding how the season impact out health and how we can work with the season to achieve optimal health. Also super helpful when studying Chinese Medicine. Give greater depth and explanation to the elements.
Otis
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
folk medicine for the freaks
Alice Barnes
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Good suggestions overall.
Artemis from
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read, I had to take notes and memorize certain details. Very informative book that basis it's principles of eastern natural medicine and, two great forces: Yin and Yang
Adam Hunter
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good summary, better as reference than to be read cover to cover .
Tami
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a book that i have been picking up constantly for the past 15 years. I especially pull it out every spring. if you are interested in Chinese medicine, this book is a must read.
Jenny Stringham
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've actually had this book around for years as kind of a reference book. I like a lot of the ideas, but you do have to take some of it with a grain of salt. ;)
Laraine
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My instructor suggested this book. I haven't read all the way through, but I'm constantly finding reasons to pick it up.
Megan
Jun 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
From the library sale--yay!
Brenda
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The five Chinese elements and guide to nutritional medicine with a year - round eating plan and detox diets and build healthy eating habits.
Gea
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chinese holism - organs, seasons, foods
Good recipes, easy to read, intersting perspective and introduction to Chinese holism, thinking, systems. Just look at the cover; doesn't it look welcoming?
Principle Based Learning
Click here for the full article on: Health and Nutrition
Christina Leftwich
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Keeping this book for future reference! ! Good resource for natural health info in sync with the seasons!
Catrina
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very informative but too wordy at times for a beginner and doesn't really mention how seasons and foods are different in different parts of the world.
Samra
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ending tying in astrology was good. Overall interesting but some out dated data.
Rachel
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-library
re-reading.
Emily
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humans
Shelves: reference
Balance your body throughout the changing seasons. Explains how body functions change throughout the year, which organs are active. Based in Chinese wellness philosophy.
Jessica
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
A little outdated - well, it was written in the 1980s - but still good general information. I liked the Chinese Medicine presentation and explanation.
Catalina
Apr 21, 2016
Julie
Feb 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Food and Healing: How What You Eat Determines Your Health, Your Well-Being, and the Quality of Your Life
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments
  • Your Inner Physician and You: CranoioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release
  • Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Fluoride Deception

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99