Start by marking “Siege of Mithila (Ramayana, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Siege of Mithila (Ramayana, Book 2)

Siege of Mithila (Ramayana #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  1,221 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The original Ramayana was written three thousand years ago. Now, with breathtaking imagination and brilliant storytelling, Ashok K. Banker has recreated this epic tale for modern readers everywhere

Published July 1st 2005 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Siege of Mithila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siege of Mithila

Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the best Sita I have read about.
Sensible, practical and fiercely independent.

I want my children to grow up and read abt this Sita.
Not the namby-pamby ones who jump in to fire, instead of asking Rama, 'Dude, what did YOU do when I wasn't there?'
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Hindu epic, the Ramayana; & perhaps certain other readers of epic fantasy
Shelves: have-read
The only possible flaw in this book is not a problem with the book itself, or the writer. The problem is that characters who are perfect are inherently boring. (My mind leaps to those movies with Jesus gazing piously into heaven, benevolently healing everyone, gently smoothing away discord among the disciples -- never frowning, never raising his voice, never doing anything INTERESTING, dammit!)

Rama, the hero of this epic, is always pious, always obedient to his guru, and fulfills the dharma of h
Smita Jha
I really enjoyed reading both the Prince of Ayodhya and the Siege of Mithila if only because I like hero-quest type books if they are well-written.

I was surprised to find that the Ramayan, which is a story that I thought I already knew, made a good base for storytelling. I'm not sure why I was so surprised, but perhaps I thought that there wasn't much left to the imagination in the Ramayan story after so many retellings and movies and TV series. Obviously, I was wrong. I devoured both books in
Saranya Neelakantan
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
after reading the first book in the Ramayana series I had expected this book also to be a good one. but was quite disappointed with this book. the pace is too slow and the worst thing is that the author keeps repeating himself over and over again. for example he has described vishwamitra's physical appearance quite well in the first book itself. but in this book also he repeats that at too many places. another thing that I did not like was that the scene changes abruptly. one minute you're readi ...more
Sharang Limaye
There is something puerile about Banker's Ramayana. He has taken a very rich source material and thought it fit to play around with the narrative the way a child may come up with bizarre structures made from toy blocks. There's no attempt at modernizing the tale ala Amish Tripathi. On the contrary, Banker goes a step further by introducing hitherto absent elements of magic and sorcery in the epic, making it seem even more of a children's bed-time story. And was there an undercurrent of casteism ...more
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The language is great! The idea of the author is also very great! But, the story seems to be twisted and very astray from the original. IF YOU REALLY LIKED THE ORIGINAL RAMAYAN, PLEASE DONT READ THIS. I was very disappointed by the fact the story potrays sita and ram very differently. Inherent characteristics are the same but, the roles the author gives to these characters didn't suit my interest.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verbose, war
More of Lord of the Rings in this second of the Ramayana series; this time the oncoming battle bears a strong resemblance to the battle of Helm's Deep!
Sahil Pradhan
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myth
the way banker exaggerates the traditional tale of valmiki ramayana makes it a nice plethora of storytelling. hats off to him for starting the ramayana race in india.
Pradeep Mohandas
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many people in India, my encounter with Ramayana began with stories of Rama that my grandmother told me as a kid. While I had a rough sketch of the stories and how they went, I did not know the story in full. During my teenage years, I went towards atheism and thus refrained from reading mythology as well. Quite contrary to logical reasoning, it was my engineering education in Mumbai University that made me a theist again. I refrained from rituals, though. Recently, I have found a beauty in ...more
Jyoti Babel
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it

The bestial demon hordes roar towards Ayodhya having swept all before them. Rama cannot return home to defend his family. He must journey to Mithila—a city lying directly in the path of destruction—to join a small band of heroes planning a valiant stand against the armies of darkness. Can Rama unearth a hidden dev-astra to help in his battle against his nemesis, the demon lord Ravana?

Of course, we all know that Rama will be able to defend the city of Mithila. That is the beauty of Banke
Sooraj Subramaniam
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
- long, dragging passages tangential to the narrative of each chapter. Whole conversations, whole chapters could have been culled without losing effect.
- cheap, soap-opera tactic of cutting from one cliff-hanger scene to a completely unrelated part of the story. I suppose this keeps you in the grip of wanting to know what happens next, still, you feel cheated into it rather than some honest desire to know because the actual writing is compelling.
- Japan is Nippon, but Greece is not Hellene
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still mesmerized by Banker's magic. Beside his ability to infuse new life in an epic through his ability to create a 3-D environment and bringing to the fore the characters' emotions, he brings up new sides of the old story and recreates superbly the parts of the epic which we might not have read as children. For instance I can point out his description of events at Ayodhya when Ram and Lakshman were away with sage Vishwamitra as well as that of the battle with Ravan's army before Mithila. It is ...more
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
interesting...looked at the whole sita swayambar in a totally different perspective...made me think twice about blindly accepting the stories told to us..a must read if you want to think beyond the usual..was absolutely impressed with the way ravana has been portrayed..each character has been developed keeping in mind their actual role yet has been shown in an totally new form, with more human-like qualities...yes but the narrative is darker than expected and a little hard to accept..but on the ...more
Abhishek Narayan
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
After slow & somewhat boring pace of the first book, had decided to drop reading the whole series. Even then, picked up the second book & I'm glad that I did so. Totally a page turner with greater emphasis given to build-up of the incidents. Book is totally engrossing & a departure from the run of the mill interpretation of Ramayana.
Apurva Chaudhari
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ashok K. Banker takes you on an amazing fascinating journey, from Ayodhya to Mithila. It is an enriching experience. You will feel drawn towards the world of Ramayana as you turn pages of this book, that is the magic of Banker’s writing. I am very looking forward to reading rest of the series.

Highly recommended.
Akshay Narayanan
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Did not enjoy the book too much. The style of narration is moderately good. The characters of the protagonists have been well developed, but the associated characters and the antagonists are lacking. Also the story is missing that spark which is usually there in the mythology.
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, exciting, at times long on explanation, but really quite good. Like a modern sci-fi/fantasy novel. But better. Have a few problems with some of the apparent messages, but it's still pretty good.
Abhinav Shrivastava
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Second Milestone in the Ramayana Series from Ashok Banker.
The description of each character is so vivid and lucid.
By the end of the book you do feel resemblance of your life in the life of characters.
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
loved it ! :)
Vinay Keerthi
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, tbr-2014
Better than the first part, and definitely faster. I still think he could have edited a lot out and merged both books though. Read it in a single sitting :-)
Garvit Arora
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ramayana
A great book.. breathtaking description.. fantastic sequel of the 'Prince of Ayodhya'..
Ivelina Stoyanova
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
beyond compare!...
Meera Srikant
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Better than Prince of Ayodhya - quite daring and interesting
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!! Very exciting retelling of Ramayana!!! Looking forward to read next book.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than the first one. It really gets into the story.
Megha Deviprasad
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ramayana for grown ups!!
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ashok Banker has done justice to the entire series..waiting to read the ramayana series.
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Read it back when I was a kid and I still love it. :)
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anoop B
Just awesome...enjoying every page of action.
Awesome....On to Book 3 !!
  • Kaurava (The Aryavarta Chronicles, #2)
  • Siva: The Siva Purana Retold
  • Ramayan 3392 AD, Vol. 1
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • Yajnaseni: The Story of Draupadi
  • The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, Gods, Demons, And Others
  • Indian Mythology: Tales, Symbols, and Rituals from the Heart of the Subcontinent
  • The Book of Satyabhama (Krishnavatara #5)
  • Raiders from the North (Empire of the Moghul, #1)
  • The Missing Queen
  • The Case of the Negligent Nymph
  • My Guru And His Disciple
  • A.R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)
  • The Mammaries of the Welfare State
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy
  • Rise of the Sun Prince (Ramayana: The Game of Life, #1)
        Ashok is an internationally acclaimed author of mixed-race and mixed-cultural parentage based in Mumbai, India.
        His Epic India Library is a lifetime writing plan that aims to retell ALL the major myths, legends and itihasa of the Indian sub-continent in an interlinked cycle of over 70 volumes.
        This includes the Ramayana Series, Krishna Coriolis, the Mahabharata Series, the
More about Ashok K. Banker...

Ramayana (8 books)
  • Prince of Ayodhya (Ramayana, #1)
  • Demons of Chitrakut (Ramayana #3)
  • Armies of Hanuman (Ramayana, #4)
  • Bridge of Rama (Ramayana, #5)
  • King of Ayodhya (Ramayana #6)
  • Vengeance of Ravana (Ramayana Book 7)
  • Sons of Sita (Ramayana series, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake