Start by marking “Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)

Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,032 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Fifteen years ago, the Rookie Club began as a tight-knit band of female cops struggling for respect from their male peers. Jamie Vail was one of them. So was Natasha Devlin, the woman Jamie caught in bed with her husband.
When Natasha Devlin turns up dead, Jamie wants nothing to do with the investigation. As a seasoned inspector in the sex crimes department, Jamie is facin
ebook, Author's Cut Edition
Published September 13th 2012 by Epublishing Works! (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Center

Delta
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by: BookBub.com
Well paced, dark police procedural/thriller about a serial rapist who sets his sight on the women of the police department that sent him to prison.

Free 11-05-14

Lynda Kelly
Once again this author uses over 10% of the book to advertise her other books at the end so you feel a bit robbed. I liked this story and some of The Rookie Club girls though the "club" itself really didn't feature too much. Parts seemed a little farfetched in places and at times the girls I found were pretty bitchy apart from Mackenzie so not extremely likeable. Once again this book was full of silly mistakes which for me is always an annoyance and always costs at least a star in my ratings.
Re
Tomi
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. I was sucked in from the beginning. The characters were real and faced their problems head on. The crime story seemed a bit convoluted, but not being a cop, I wouldn't know how the average investigation unfolds. I will be reading more from this author.
Miah Marie
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right up there with Tess Gerritsen, Jefferson Bass, and Beverly Connors👍🏻

I’ve been reading a lot of books over the past two years. Included in those books are Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series, Kathy Reichs bones series, Tess Gerritsens Dr. Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli series, Jefferson Bass Body farm series, and Beverly Connors Dr. Diane Fallon series. I’ve got to say that this book was right up there with all those books I paid at least 8$ a piece for. This book I read for free
Patti
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, but after I did, I was hooked. I think the action continued throughout the story and never lagged. I liked the characters and wanted the girls to solve the crimes.
The only negative thing I can think of was the list of characters. It was hard to keep straight who was who.
I gave this book 5 stars because the action never stopped, you felt you were there, you felt drawn into the story and wanted the bad guy stopped. I felt the frustration of being a woman
Denise
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-book-goal
'Dead Center' pulled me in from the beginning. The storyline was full of action, suspense, thrilling scenarios and a cast of personalities that were well developed. I could relate to the relationship, or lack thereof, of the comparison and alienation due to men vs women in any police agency. I haven't personally been effected but I've witnessed it time and time again. This book brings that factor into play with some kick-ass female leads. I love their backbone and their intellect. Jamie fought t ...more
Paula Legate
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't care for books when married people cheat on one another, I also didn't like the way this book jumped around. The tempo, or flow of this book had me reading the page again to see what person was being talked about. I did however enjoy the suspense of the plot. The Rookie club is a group of female Police officers. Someone is after the group attacking, and or rapping one member at a time.

I made it halfway through this book. I never, ever leave a review without reading the whole book, but I
Kirsten
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-goal-of-85
Gripping

I could not put this book down. Two crimes are intertwined. Jamie Vail investigates sex crimes and Hailey investigates homicides. When a fellow police officer is murdered in her office, the suspicion falls on Jamie's ex husband. From the the plot thickens and moves forward. I never suspected who was the murderer. Keeps you guessing. Solid writing, character development, and exploration of heinous crimes. The book has a final plot twist and leaves a lot of room for next book.
John C Wells
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I stayed up to finish this book. Such a satisfying mystery, with women as the strong force here. The interactions of women in within the police force, with each other, with their families, and other difficult situations was very appealing and uplifting. I recommend this to women who have been attacked, sexually or in any way really, as these are women who live to conquer evil and rise to the challenge to do it again.
Vicki
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book was slow to start. Actually it really didn't pick up until it was practically over. There were so many characters and it felt like so much was happening and nothing was happening all at the same time. I can't even say it ended particularly well .... It just kinda fizzled and was over. Quite disappointing if you ask me.
Elizabeth
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I really did like it, kind of slow when it starts but still a great read, will be checking out the next one to see if I want to read the rest of the series.
Bcoghill Coghill
An Okay book but nothing special and there are so many good books in the world.
Amy
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just all right. The basic story line was good, but I could've done without all the foul language and trashy talk. It really took away from the parts of the plot that were good.
Ukgardenfiend

A book that demonstrates how a good writer becomes an excellent one.
This book, the start of a series, was published in 2006 and I have just also read Excise which was published in 2017. There is a distinct difference in style. Giraud has clearly honed her skills.
In Dead Center there are too few red herrings and complications in solving the mystery and crimes. It became difficult to actually follow the logic and reasoning and behaviours or the characters, and in one case the last minute addition
Susannah Carleton
Not a terrible book, but not a good one. The cast of characters is huge, but the author did not do a good job of distinguishing them from one another, with the exception of the two main female characters. One of the villains is described well (and often), but he's one-dimensional. Many of the other characters, including a surprisingly large number of secondary ones, are also one-dimensional.

The two main female characters are introduced well, but not as well developed as readers will expect in a
Linda
I selected this book for my Amazon Free Monthly and am happy I did. I had read other Danielle Girard books but am pleased to have a new series to get into. The writing is excellent and she manages to keep the suspense going right to the end. I think she made the male cops look like all they wanted was a sexy encounter BUT that does happen. And, in this current climate (now 2018), there are more cop stories about shootings and gropings than we would ever have believed. I will now continue with th ...more
Amy Dexter
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the start of this cop series. Loads of characters to get your head around which is good. Quite pleased when one of characters got offed' - didn't like her at all! Liked the dynamics of the rookie club - looking forward to next instalment in series. Nice to see a bit of girl power in police dramas/books. This story crosses both sides of homicide + sexual crimes departments - fast paced and easy to read. ...more
Deb
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing suspenseful crime drama centered around a group of woman who have various careers in law enforcement and related fields who have formed a informal club to support each other in a career choice that is male dominated. In this story you will see the ups and downs of this group as it is touched by drama in the lives of its members. Very good read with surprising elements along the way to keep you guess
bonnie kirchner
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Center

This is book one in this series. I really enjoyed it. There was a lot of thrills in this story. It is worth reading. I recommend this book . I hope the next book in this series is just as good.
KIM
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Slow start for me, I didn't like the characters until about a third way into the book. The storyline kept my interest and the connection to the characters came along. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.
Patty
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I love reading about strong female law enforcement officers. Ms. Girard did a wonderful job. I will be reading more of her work. I will say the rapist finally got what was coming to him! The killer really surprised me, wasn't expecting that. Great work.
Tim
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you like where all of the cops in the story are raped or beaten up then this is the book for you.
Catherine  Matsubu
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY GOOD

I really enjoyed this book! I am sure it will be a hit with all who reads it. Danielle Girard, you are an excellent author that I will be watching for!
Fiona Forthe
Good characters and an interesting plot, but too many villains to really make it work.
Victoria
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on a serial rapist attacking police officers. I throughly enjoyed this book, well written with an easy flow.
I'm going to start the next book in the series now.
Marcy Ashley
This book wasn't very good. I'll read the 2nd book to see if the series gets better.
Samantha Porter
Parts are very similar to Women's Murder Club, Patterson
Lacey Manzanares
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Can't wait to see what's in store for the book. Very fun read, couldn't put it down. I've read her most recent series and loved it.
Sherry Vicznesky
Great book

I could noir put this book down. It is soo captivating! It was the first time I had read this author but, am going on to read other books now!
Barbara  Miller
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
  • How to be a Ghost (Libby Grace Mystery #1)
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Malicious
  • Death by Obsession (Caribbean Murder, #8)
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • A Man to Die For
  • Mystral Murder (Julie O'Hara Mystery #3)
  • Run Run as Fast as You Can (Emma Frost #3)
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Elusive (On The Run, #1)
  • Beat Until Stiff
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Jane Doe's Return
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • Red Tide

Almost two decades ago, Danielle decided she wanted to try to write a book. She set out to write something sweet, maybe even romantic, but on page 5, someone got shot and it's been that way ever since.

The Barry-award winning author lives with her husband, who is careful never to lurk in dark corners, and their two children. They split their time between San Francisco and the northern Rockies.

Boo
More about Danielle Girard

The Rookie Club (5 books)
  • One Clean Shot (The Rookie Club #2)
  • Dark Passage (The Rookie Club #3)
  • Interference (The Rookie Club #4)
  • Everything to Lose (The Rookie Club #5)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow May the soft winds freshen your spirit May the sunshine brighten your heart May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you And may God enfold you in the mantle of His love.” 1 likes