Start by marking “Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman, #1)

Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Only Her Desire…

After losing his wife in childbirth, Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, does not trust healers. So when he discovers Selina White cleansing his home, he is livid. As duke, Colin is accustomed to his charges taking orders from him. But the fiery Selina has the audacity to defy him when he asks her to leave his lands. More infuriating, he cannot stop thinking a
Published December 6th 2012 by eKensington

To ask other readers questions about Bewitching the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bewitching the Duke

Lisa
Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, is forced to return to his country home and attend some matters so all is ready for a upcoming wedding. He has avoided the place for eight years following the death of his child and wife due to, he believes, the ineptness of the local healer. So when he awakens to the healers daughter cleansing his home, he is irate...but the sassy lady captures his attention. Has she no sense of propriety? Women wear their hair bound, not loose around their shoulders. They wear ...more
Kathie (katmom)
Thank you, NetGalley and Kensington Books, for giving me the opportunity to read BEWITCHING THE DUKE by Christie Kelley.

This summary pulled me right in:

Only Her Desire…

Vikki Vaught
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! Can't wait to read the next book in this series. Loved The heroine. I struggled a bit with the hero, but the author totally redeemed him by the end.
Tin
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a 2.5-star book for me.

* * *

Selina White serves as wise woman of Northrop Park, the seat of Colin Barrett, the Duke of Northrop, a man who has very strong reasons for hating the ancient practice. Years before, Selina's mother was called to help in the birth of Colin's heir, but the tragic turn of events resulted in the death of the child and of Colin's wife. The duke left the estate soon after intending never to return to Northrop Park and all the painful memories that lingered there.

Co
BJ
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
A 3.5 star read. The H is grieving the loss of his wife and child and the h is the healer who attended the birth. He does not know, but mistrusts healers as a result of their deaths. His grief has made him selfish, does not care about his estate or his people and this seemed OTT after 8 years. There were good elements, H's sister and friend added interest. Good to see H step up and not care about marrying out of his class.
Beth
The Duke of Northrop, Colin Barrett, lost his wife and new born child 8 years prior during child birth. He blames himself for demanding that she give birth in his ancestral home. He also blames the wise woman that over saw the birthing. Returning to Northrop on the insistence of his family, he discovers Selina White cleansing his home. Irate, that the daughter of the woman he blames for the death of his beloved wife is in his home, he casts her out of her home and his lands.

The tenants are havi
Fanny Roswita Ria
ini novel series tentang wise woman, dimana sang heroine adalah Selina White , penyembuh di kawasan tanah Duke of Northrop, sang hero yang bernama Collin Barret. Sang penyembuh diminta utk menyucikan rumah sang hero oleh para pelayan sang hero tanpa sepengetahuan sang hero sendiri. Pertemuan pertama mereka setelah 8 tahun tak jumpa adalah di ruang pribadi sang hero dimana sang heroine tdk menyangka kalo sang hero dtg lbh cpt 2 hari dr jadwal yang diberitahukan pelayan kepadanya.

Kebencian sang he
nurmawati
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr, terjemahan
Love collin and selina !!
Sandcastles
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blah
One of the most awful books I've read. I still managed to finish it so that goes in its favour. The story does not coalesce. Why do they fall in love ? Except for the sex there is nothing there. The heroine is controlling and weird... he ask twice why she does what she does and both times she gives the same answer but like the hero it's hard for the reader to understand her as well. She seems dishonest, manipulative, too cocksure for no good reason. Did not connect with either of the main charac ...more
Karen
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Both the Duke & the wise woman are fracture by the death of his wife, 8 years ago. While he has gained the reputation of a rake & neglects his estate, she attends to the wellbeing of his servants, tenants & ritual old ways blessing of the land.
His return & demands sends sparks shooting, she will not be remiss in her ancestral duties.
I love her irreverence & his bluster making an interesting enough story.
Sally Hannoush
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good Historical Romance. It really made you feel the emotions the characters were going through. It was a fresh story idea with love and pain. Good reading! The sneak peak into the next book leaves me wanting more.
Rebecca
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
If you pretty much throw all historical norms and culture out the window, it is decent light read. If you can't, skip it. 3*
Lisa Baffi
Three stars!

I liked the ending of this story the most, it felt like it came full circle. However, I did feel that it was somewhat a long winded story.
Beverly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

I just love this kind of romance with a little laughter and fun. Can't wait to read another one. Quick easy read and well written.
debmar50
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I enjoyed this. Recency era. Nice characters. Strong women. I don't think it's historically accurate but I don't mind that.
Stephanie

ONLY HER DESIRE…

Shauni
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bewitching the Duke is a story that has been told and while it was a pleasant read, I am sad to say it has been told better. Christie Kelley, writes likeable characters, but they seem to lack connection. That being said this was not a bad book. Believe me I have read bad books.. this book was sweet and unassuming and it offers a reader a chance to escape for a few moments.

Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop is one angry man. Bitter because his wife and child died in childbirth.. angry at the "wise w
Farrah
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Absolutely lovely! Bewitching the Duke was so sweet and perfect, I just adored it. Definitely a winner.

Selina is different from most historical romance characters you come across. She's no society lady. She's a wise woman who is more or less exempt from society's rules. And she was took full advantage of that. But she was also very loyal to the people on the duke's estate that she took care of. She's determined to con
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
VERY ENTERTAINING HR !!!

Bewitching The Duke was entertaining and it held my interest. Colin Barrett the 7th Duke of Northrop has returned to Northrop estates to prepare his run down home for his sisters Kate's wedding. Colin has been gone for 8 yrs letting his estate go down in disrepair. Colin is a troubled soul becasue he lost his wife Mary and his Heir in the Child Bed at Northrop now he hates being there.

Selena White is called a Wise women. A Healer of sorts. Healer wise women's skills have
Nessa
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS ONE WAS SPLENDIDLY ENTERTAINING WITH A STUFFY DUKE AND A SPIRITED WISE WOMAN OR WITCH AS THEY WOULD CALL THEM IN THEIR TIME.

OUR HERO lost his wife and babe eight years ago and he is still unwilling to let go of the past until he meets our wise woman/heroine Selina. Rudely awakened by her one morning he does all he can to evict her from her home, his land and his life. He blames her mother for the death of his wife and child and still holds a grudge against healers who are not educated in u
Diana
Selina and her family have been the wise women of the village of Staffordshire for centuries. They have always had an compatible relationship with the Dukes of Northrop who own the land. Until eight years ago when Colin, the current Duke, lost his wife and blamed Selina's mother. Now, Colin has returned; still haunted by his loss and wanting no reminders of that time, which includes Selina.

Despite the sad blurb, this was a good story. Selina was one of those heroines I enjoy reading about: stubb
Kay
Selina is a wise woman/healer for the Duke of Northrop's estate. She is caught trying to do a cleansing of his home prior to a wedding that's to take place there. The Duke is furious about this because he blames a wise woman for the death of his wife and son. When he finds out that woman in his house is none other than the daughter of that wise woman, he is beyond furious.

He has her thrown out of the house and eventually off his estate. The only problem is that his tenants that he has neglected
Belinda
I finished reading Bewitching the Duke by Christie Kelley and it was well written and very sensual. I really liked both main characters. Ever since Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, lost his wife in child birth, he has not moved on. He has mourned his wife and is afraid to love again. Then he meets Selina White who is a wise woman and healer who lives on his property. Colin can’t abide so called healers, who he thinks aren’t professional as doctors. He is confronted by the fiery Selina who defies ...more
Bunga
Lumayan menarik. Saya butuh waktu lama buat selesai baca. 3 jam mungkin...

Heroine di sini adalah Selina, seorang wise woman (healer tp agak mix dukun gt kali ya), dan Hero di sini adalah Colin-Duke of Northrop yang 8 tahun lalu istri+bayinya meninggal saat persalinan gara2 ibunya Selina yang membantu persalinannya waktu itu.

Di awal cerita Colin berusaha utk ngusir Selina dari estatenya karena dia gak sanggup melihat reminder kenangan pahit kematian istri dan anaknya, eh... servant-servant di e
Teresa

Ebook ARC from Netgalley for honest review.

This is the first book by Christie Kelley I have read. I found this book well written and the characters likable and genuine. The plot was easy to follow as well.
I liked that the hero kept faithful to a wife that he still loved and missed, especially since his feelings for her were a main plot point. It is too common for the hero of a historical romance, especially one set in regency England, to be a rake and womanizer.
My only real complain
Vashti
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually tend to stay away from books where the hero is still clinging to the memory of a long dead wife,in this case 8 years has past since she died in childbirth along with the child.
But I enjoy this author's books and decided to give it a chance.The book held my intrest ,but could have hit the hero over the head several times and told him to get over with it all ready.I mean years have past man and you need to get on with your life.

When he finally realizes the heroine is the love of his life
Kelly_Instalove
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Kelly_Instalove by: 2012-12-06 - Zebra
Grade: DNF

Dammit! This little hoyden had disturbed his thought process.

I struggled to reach my 33% decision point, and there just wasn’t anything different about this Regency to keep me reading. The dialogue was repetitive, the plot had yet to move forward in any meaningful way, and I never connected with either of the main characters.

Also: Important secondary characters are twins named Mia and Tia. That’s not a good way to encourage me to keep reading or, god forbid, buy their sequels.

However
Patricia Wissore
I hadn't read this author before, but picked up the book for something new. I was really glad I did! I loved the story line about how the h was very comfortable with herself and her life. The H was dark and brooding with a past that Selina was able to work thru and assist him in living and loving again. The author gave you just enough information on the characters backgrounds that you could see and understand where they were coming from. I do wish she had given just a little bit more background ...more
Tracy T.
This was an okay story. The hero and heroine were good, had some good chemistry a few nicely written sex scenes. There was a lot of dialogue in this book, which I liked. I liked the secondary characters.

However there was not much substance to the story, no mystery or anything like that. One secret you found out about at the end, but no OMG moments at all.

I do like the writing style so I will listen to the next book and hope it is a bit more exciting than this one.

I listened via audible as I re
Mainer207
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
BEWITCHING THE DUKE was an entertaining story with interesting characters. The main characters were okay. I liked the way Selina was able to bring the Duke out of the darkness but some of the writing and situations seemed contrived and some even too modern for the time period. The secondary characters were even more intriguing and I look forward to listening to the subsequent books in this series.

I had no negative reaction to the narration and, actually, the book itself was average - neither ba
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 09:41AM
  • Secrets of a Duchess
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
  • The Mad Lord's Daughter
  • Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)
  • Ten Reasons to Stay (School For Heiresses, #2.5)
  • The Bride of the Unicorn
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • A Study in Seduction (Daring Hearts, #1)
  • Pleasing the Colonel
  • The Tattooed Duke (The Writing Girls, #3)
  • One Night with an Earl: A House of Trent Novella (House of Trent, #2.5)
  • A Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #2)
  • What the Duke Desires (Billingham Bastards #1)
  • A Duke Never Yields (Affairs by Moonlight, #3)
  • Isaac's Decision (Nebraska Historicals, #9)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
Award winning author Christie Kelley writes Regency set historical romances from her home in Maryland. When not writing, she is usually in the garden, fixing something around the house and surrounded by her two sons and two Siberian cats.

Christie loves to hear from her readers.

Please visit her at:
www.christiekelley.com
www.facebook.com/ChristieKelleyAuthor/
www.twitter.com/christiekelley

More about Christie Kelley...

Wise Woman (3 books)
  • Enticing the Earl (Wise Woman, #2)
  • Vexing the Viscount (Wise Woman, #3)