Start by marking “Ghosts Who Went To School” as Want to Read:
Ghosts Who Went To School

Ghosts Who Went To School (The Templeton Ghosts #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The two ghost boys, Wilbur and Mortimer become bored with no-one to haunt, and so they decide to go to school. Pandemonium reigns in Wilbur's class for the first few days, but he eventually makes himself visible and becomes an accepted member of the class.
Paperback
Published by Scholastic (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts Who Went To School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts Who Went To School

Juli
I love old books. Any sort. And there are few places better to troll for great old books than thriftshops. A couple times a month I set out with $5 or so in my pocket to visit all the local thriftshops looking for interesting books. Some of my best finds are old, often out of print, middle grade books...the type I used to beg my parents to buy for me from those book order forms in elementary school. I am in total nostalgic bliss when I find a bunch of old Scholastic books. I bring them home and ...more
Chelsea
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 3rd to 5th
The story is very entertaining and wonderful for children from grades third to fifth. The ghost Wilbur attends school and all kinds of interesting things happen!

I own the original version published in 1966. I bought the book because I thought the story would be fun to read. The catch? I lived in Puerto Rico and my English skills were very, very limited. :-) So, I actually didn't read the book until years later after I had moved to the United States.

I am a collector of children's books.
Christina
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my favorite books growing up and also was one of my Mom's favorite books growing up. I read this book so many times cause it was just so imaginative, playful, and laugh out loud funny. Mortimer and Wilbur try so hard to fit in at their school and yet time and time again they cause scenes. I'm an author now, but this book inspired me at a young age to start writing paranormal.
Karin
Loved this book. A story about a family of ghosts. The younger of the 2 sons is bored at home and so goes with his older brother to school one day. He has to learn to make himself visable and stay that way so teachers will see him. He goes to gr. 3 and has fun adventures with the kids. Not scary at all.

I can't believe i never added this book in yet.
Claire Botman
This is one of my favorite books from my own childhood (it was published in 1966!) and I remember being quite touched by Wilbur and his adventures, but my kids were not interested at all, I think too many other wonderful books to compete with. Off to the new school library because I don't want to forget it.
Becky H.
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2009
Fun book to read to your children!
One of my husband's favorite books from his childhood. He read it out loud to our children and I was very surprised at how much they loved it. They could follow the storyline and even tell me what I had missed on the evenings that I worked late.
Heidi
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, ghosts, humor
I won't talk about the plot of this book because other people have done so also I don't want to ruin the suspense for people who have not read it.

I will just say that I first read this book when I was about 10 years old and I really enjoyed it. Just very funny and very cute.
Swankivy
So I read this as a child and enjoyed the sort of Casper the Friendly Ghost feeling it had. There was really no spookiness or anything except that Wilbur and his brother Mortimer happen to be ghosts and they decide they should go to school instead of just haunting their house with their ghost mom and ghost dad. Wilbur can make himself visible if he wants to, but it's something of a strain, so having to think about that and about being "normal" is very difficult and it's not long before his secre ...more
Julie Decker
Mortimer and Wilbur are ghost children who decide it would be better for them to go to school instead of just haunting the old house with ghost Mom and ghost Dad. Wilbur pretends to be a living child--he can make himself visible if he concentrates--but his secret is soon found out. Happily, the class does not reject him, and he goes on to pursue his education in the afterlife. The book follows the stories of the siblings trying to have an everyday experience despite being ghosts from an earlier ...more
Linda
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juveniles, fiction
This was a fun story about a family of ghosts where the two ghost children are bored so they are allowed to go to school if they avoid standing out. When I read it aloud to my two youngest siblings, they didn't want me to stop when I was going hoarse.

The Templeton Ghosts (2 books)
  • The Museum House Ghosts