Start by marking “Little You” as Want to Read:
Little You

Little You

Richard Van Camp, internationally renowned storyteller and bestselling author of the hugely successful Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns, has partnered with talented illustrator Julie Flett to create a tender board book for babies and toddlers that honors the child in everyone. With its delightful contemporary illustrations, Little You is perfect to be shared, ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published April 1st 2013 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Little You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little You

Start your review of Little You
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet book that is sure to please small children.
Alex
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alex by: Jennifer
Shelves: baby-books
This was a gift from the lovely Jennifer D. and it's my favorite book to read to my baby. It's simple and joyous and the illustrations are beautiful. It manages to be sweet without being sentimental. (I mean, not too sentimental...the bar is set at Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You, so that's pretty low.)

"Let's all dance, let's all sing"

and you're like yeah, my dog gets overexcited too. That's exactly what this is like.
Donalyn
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore Julie Flett's illustrations. Researching her books has led me to learn about other Native/Indigenous authors she has collaborated with on book projects. Her board books are my go-to baby shower gift for new parents.
KC
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Darling rhyming book about the love and adoration parents have for their child. Love this illustrator.
Jae
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not at all surprised to be in love with a book from this duo.
La Coccinelle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The illustrations looked familiar as I started reading this, and I recognized the name... from a book I read earlier this week called My Heart Fills with Happiness. Little You is in the same vein. It's a very simple picture book, with a gentle rhyming text that would be lovely read aloud. I liked the pictures just as much as the ones in My Heart Fills with Happiness; there's something about their minimalist style that's really charming.

This seems like the perfect bedtime read for little ones. I
Rachael
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1kbbk
This is by far the most beautiful and poetic book for babies I have ever read. I saw it on the exhibition floor at the most recent ALA Conference and put it on hold as soon as I got home. I can't really put my finger on it, but something about the rhythm of the text is really nice for reading out loud. My son let me read it to him three times in a row this afternoon (a new record). Not only is it nice to listen to but the poem quietly captures the feelings of being a new parent. "Little you, ...more
Literary Soirée
I am in tears, stunned by the beauty of the illustrations and poetic text of Little You. This joyful celebration of having a little one in the family should appeal to readers of all ages. Highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, Orca Book Publishers and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my true review.

#Kîya-k’apisîsisîyân #NetGalley
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Eddy and I love this book. He loves the black/white/red color scheme and patterns, and I love its modern illustrations and the little details, like a hole in the mother's tights in the dancing picture. I also love how there are pictures of mom and baby, dad and baby, baby alone, and all three together. So many books focus on just one parent and child.
Naomi
This book won the 2016 American Indian Youth Literature Award best Picture book award because of the beautiful illustrations that show a parents love for a new baby. This book celebrates our little ones and welcomes them to the world. This book is a joy and delight to read to babies and young children. Richard's poem is a favorite in our house!
Sarah  Perry
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Little You is a sweet little board book aimed perfectly at children Emily's age. The rhyming scheme was enjoyable, both for her and I. Richard Van Camp has written a beautiful poem that describes the feelings of parenthood in a way that is very relatable for myself, and that brought a tear to my eye by the end. I appreciate the message behind this book.

The illustrations, done by Julie Flett, are both simple, and bold at the same time. There is a great colour scheme that stands out in such a way
Agnė
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5
Lovely and joyful board book with simple, expressive illustrations (which, by the way, utilize the underlying geometry quite well):
Let's all dance
let's all sing

Cheryl
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, lovely, artistic w/out being artsy-fartsy. Special enough for obsessive parents, comfortable enough for the rest of us.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but is this a new baby (and/or family) on every page, or is it one baby over the course of its first year, or what?
Frank Busch
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author gave me a copy at a conference in Vancouver. I was just the lucky schmoe who's wife was expecting. The book became my son Alexander's first gift. Both of my boys love to read it before bedtime every night.
Cheriee Weichel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I purchased two copies, one for each of my grandbabies to be.
Laura West
Little You enraptures what it feels like to be a new parent and has an usually soothing, soft, gentle rhythm to the text which I really enjoyed. The illustrators art was particularly beautiful, featuring graphic art in various shades of red, orange, tan, gray, black and orange against a white background on the facing page. The use of large shapes but combining it with tiny complex patterns throughout the book provided a unique contrast. My favorite line and imagery in the book was "You are ...more
Taylor Maiese
I loved this book! The meaning behind it is love and joy of a new life. The pictures are amazing and show the love between the baby and the parents. I think this is a story we should read to children that way they know they are loved and it is a joyous occasion. I love how it says to dance and sing it is a celebration of a new life and a new love. This book is full of joy from the simple, elegant pictures from the heartwarming words. This book pulls at your heart strings and I absolutely adore ...more
Emily Shaw
Little you is a sweet book for children discussing the importance of a young life. The book makes you feel the importance of every life. My favorite part of the book is "you are us and so much more." This means a lot to me when I read it. It's a very importance sentence, because it states you were created out of love from two people and you will be apart of them. However, you are also yourself and an individual with so much to give to the world. I enjoyed thus book.
Erika Prater
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for toddlers! The illustrations of babies with their mommies and daddies will have children loving the pictures and wanting to look at them even after the story is over. I think that children will enjoy this book not only because of the pictures that relate to their lives but also because of the short rhyming sentences that they would be able to read remember after only a couple times of reading the book. And to top it all off it's just a very cute read!
Elizabeth
Little You is yet another charming book for and about babies from Richard Van Camp. The writing is very sweet, with lovely little rhymes. Julie Flett's illustrations are as lovely as ever.

I definitely recommend this to anyone stocking up on a baby library. I look forward to seeing more from both the writer and illustrator (as I have enjoyed everything I have seen from each of them so far, up to and including Little You).
Mariah Eshelman
Babies are certainly a blessing, and that is the point this author is making. This is a poetic book with beautiful artwork from their culture. The simple but complex pictures really keep your attention. They picture the family together, the mom with the child, and the dad with the child which really stood out to me as well. I would definitely recommend this book to a parent of a toddler.
Mia Bell
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It is definitely for young toddlers and children but it would be a very fun book to read or sing to them. The pictures are all so adorable and eye catching too! I do not think that this book would be a good choice for my library in my classroom though, as I am worried it is too youthful.
Jensine Foley
This book it great to read to a young child. This book touches on how everyone is different but that is what makes you your own person. This lullaby involves both parents and how they are grateful for their child.
Braley Hale
The theme of this book is you are you and you are wonderful in every way. You cannot change yourself, so embrace who you are. Your parents will love you no matter what. Therefore, I also, like the rhyming and diversity in this book because it is great for little children to read and look at.
Amanda Coppedge
Beautiful multicultural board book for very young children. I love the color palette and patterns used in the illustration. My favorite is the dad and baby in the boat together with fish swimming underneath.
Krista Ginnis
Little You is a wonderful book for a newborn child. It is about insuring how much they are loved, and how much they are wanted. Something you can never outgrow. You may outgrow your parents laps, but you can never outgrow your parents heart.
Brooke Milone
The book is about a little Indian baby who is adored by his parents. They are so loving and make it known to him all the time. The parents are so happy he is apart of them. The illustrations in the book show how caring, and loving his family is!
Gina
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book, full of parental love and celebration.

The text and pictures are pretty simple, but even as children age into more sophistication the adoration may still be compelling for them.

A very joyful book.
Clarissa
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really sweet simple lovely board book to read to your little one.
Meredith
This is a sweet poem in which an ethnically ambiguous baby is tenderly celebrated by his/her parents. It's a great affirmation to share with your own little one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Baby Goes to Market
  • Opposites
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • All Around Us
  • Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!
  • Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • What's My Superpower? (English)
  • My Brother Charlie
  • Ten Tiny Toes
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • 1 Grumpy Bruce
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more