Start by marking “Chateau Country: Du Pont Estates in the Brandywine Valley” as Want to Read:
Chateau Country: Du Pont Estates in the Brandywine Valley

Chateau Country: Du Pont Estates in the Brandywine Valley

Originally from France, the du Pont family settled in the Brandywine River Valley. Chateau Country is an intimate portrait of the houses built by this Delaware dynasty. Their first dwelling was a modest six-room house just steps from the gunpowder mills that made the du Ponts wealthy. One hundred years later, their largest house had 176 rooms and thirty-six servants on 2,3 ...more
Published August 28th 2013 by Schiffer Publishing (first published June 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Chateau Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chateau Country

Navessa
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Architecture and history nerds
Shelves: arc, art, history
BAM! Five stars. Bet you didn't see that coming, did you?

Well, for a book about American architecture with a primary focus on one single and iconic family, this hit it out of the park.

When I was younger I used to play this awesome game called “What if” with some of my friends. It’s a pretty simple game, you basically just come up with ridiculous and awesome scenarios like What if aliens landed in front of your house? or What if you had superpowers?

As an adult these questions have dwindled down
GONZA
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book on the princely houses built by a dynasty of rich people over the years is good for the eyes but not the spirit ....

Questo libro sulle case principesche costruite da una dinastia di ricconi nel corso degli anni fa bene agli occhi ma non allo spirito....

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND SCHIFFER PUBLISHING LTD. FOR THE PREVIEW!
Aoi
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking!

I love reading about dynasties and historical structures and though I have never tread into the specifics of architecture, it was a fascinating read. The pictures were gorgeous, and as one who tends to look at various houses (especially those with history), it was lovely to look through at the end of the day. The writing and descriptions fit in perfectly with the mood of the book and I definitely learned a lot more than I expected.

A very nice break from the
Olivia Foster