Start by marking “Embracing the Infidel: Stories of Muslim Migrants on the Journey West” as Want to Read:
Embracing the Infidel: Stories of Muslim Migrants on the Journey West

Embracing the Infidel: Stories of Muslim Migrants on the Journey West

An eye-opening personal account of an epic human drama, Embracing the Infidel takes us on an astounding journey along a modern-day underground railroad that stretches from Istanbul to Paris.  In this groundbreaking book, Iranian-American Behzad Yaghmaian has done what no other writer has managed to do–as he enters the world of Muslim migrants and tells their extraordinary ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Delta (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Embracing the Infidel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embracing the Infidel

Vanessa Fuller
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's rather fitting that I finished this book on 20 June 2018, World Refugee Day. And, it's rather fitting that I read this book, now as the furor over migrants to my own country reaches a fever pitch.

In Embracing the Infidel, Behzad Yaghmaian allows us to walk in the shoes of those very much unlike ourselves. At least very much unlike myself. I do not have to be an asylum seeker or refugee to understand the desperation involved in fleeing one's home, legally or clandestinely.

But, this rather h
Jessica Massler
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The author of this book was my macroeconomic's professor. He was one of the most challenging and thought provoking teachers I have ever had. He is absolutely brilliant, and wants people to be aware of many issues facing this world. He opened my eyes a lot, and his book will even if you were never personally taught by him.
Kate
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: college, nonfiction, soc
my international migration and human rights professor wrote this book, and rarely have I ever encountered anyone so brilliant and devoted to their work. I honestly wish everyone would read this
Hillary
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful combination of heart-wrenching stories and straight-forward statistics. Yaghmaian does a great job of combining the lives of the people he meets, with concrete information about the migration of thousands upon thousands of human beings. You cannot believe how these people have taken the journey that they have, how they live the way they do, and how they find strength and hope to keep going.

On my own previous trips to Europe, I have seen many of the people described by Y
Nirmal
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Muslim migrants from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and some African countries. Human tragedy documented here is an eye-opener. A major chunk of these migrations are caused due to ongoing wars , political instability, religious persecution etc. In many cases people's struggles are for just getting some basic necessities like food , shelter and safety. This underground world of human trafficking is populated by smugglers, coast gaurds, border security forces, poverty, hunger, drugs ...more
Brett
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Powerfully documenting firsthand accounts of Muslim migrants on the journey westward, Behzad weaves together such tales in order to capture the refugee experience for his Western audience. Visiting Istanbul, Athens, Paris, and numerous other migrant hubs, Embracing the Infidel shares stories of border crossings, human smugglers, separated families, difficulty, resilience, despair, and hope. Compelling and unique - (A)
Alba Veliu
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Behzad's passion transcends through to anyone who reads this book. He is a humanist who not only tells the (harrowing) tales of migrants, but also manages to tug at heartstrings you never even knew you had. A must read for all who live in this world of such frightening immigration sentiment...."People are not illegal...borders are illegal"
Loretta