Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:
Matilda

Matilda

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  472,020 Ratings  ·  11,611 Reviews
Matilda es una lectora empedernida con solo cinco años. Sensible e inteligente, todos la admiran menos sus mediocres padres, que la consideran una inútil. Además tiene poderes extraños y maravillosos... Un día, Matilda decide desquitarse y empieza a emplearlos contra la abominable y cruel señorita Trunchbull.
Published 1997 by Alfaguara (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.

Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)
Amber Actually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local…moreActually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local library(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book was so great! I do enjoy the movie a bit more, but nevertheless this will always be a favorite of mine. I also really want to re-read some more Roald Dahl books now!
Ariel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. I really wish I'd read this when I was a kid - I would have related to and loved Matilda so much! I like that this is a book for children that doesn't cater to them - it treats them like intelligent beings. The plot was exciting, the characters fun, and the themes interesting.

All together I've only read two Dahl books now (Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but I definitely want to keep reading them!
Darth J
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the rea
Grace Tjan
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What i
James
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
Roald Dahl gets 4+ out of 5 stars for his knock-it-out-of-the-park story, Matilda, from 1988. For some reason, I thought this was published before 1988, but I know I read it when I was 13, so... must have been right then. I thought it was great. Looking back years later, and seeing all the films and cartoons made from it, I love it even more. While she's a good role model in many ways for young kids, she's all a little too spunky and might give some the wrong impressions. Neverthe
Elyse
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best!!! Thanks to Samra!!!! She brought back great memories....

This was a favorite of my daughters when she was around 8 or 9 years old.

Some books just make you smile --connect mothers and daughters reading together --
make us laugh - and remind us of simple pleasures.
This is 'that' type of book!

Jason Koivu
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fiction, fantasy
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
Whitney Atkinson
This book was MAGNIFICENT. I would have adored it as a kid, and even as an adult, I thought that the language was so enchanting, the storyline was heartwarming and gripping, and Matilda herself was such a strong and dynamic role model. I will definitely be investing in more Roald Dahl books, because I thought this one was beautiful and the pictures went with it so well and all the descriptions were so nice and it was such an enjoyable reading experience.

However, I docked a star from this because
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
Shayantani Das
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Samra Yusuf
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first review in 2017!
Matilda,my most beloved character and reason for my insatiable love for children's classics
I've read it quite countless times,listened to audio version while in most shitty mood,have adored it every time but never came up with a word to say on it.
Well,today I heard it in my way back to home,and i thought to make it reviewed at long last!
The exceptional Matilda is about a smart, easily infuriated little girl who is misunderstood by her parents and loathed by the school's h
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY.

this book tells us about a brilliant little girl named Matilda Wormwood and she loves reading books. But her parents seem don't really proud of her and they don't even care much about her and her father is mean so when he treats her badly, She will ' teach ' him a lesson and one day something peculiar happens to her ...

My Opinion

When I was a kid, I watched the movie a
Meli
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que siempre tuve curiosidad por leer este libro ya que siempre amé la peli, pero honestamente esperaba otra cosas y resultó no ser mi favorito de Roald Dahl, tiene obras mucho más ingeniosas y entretenidas.

Lo dejo en un me gustó.

Sin embargo, le voy a dar cinco estrellas porque:

1º es Roald Dahl
2º es Matilda
3º detesto a los adultos que le dan puntajes negativos a libros infantiles. Dios no permita que me convierta en uno alguna vez :P
Hannah Greendale
Matilda is a lovable protagonist, revered for her mischievous nature and easily sympathized with because of her abusive parents who don't recognize how extraordinary she is. Admittedly, she's a vengeful girl, but that never subtracts from her likability.

Roald Dahl crafted unapologetically over-the-top characters for this book:

When she marched -- Miss Trunchbull never walked, she always marched like a storm-trooper with long strides and arms aswinging -- when she marched along a corridor you co
Ahmad Sharabiani
Matilda, Roald Dahl
عنوانها: ماتیلدا؛ متیلدا؛ ماتلدا؛ نویسنده: روآل دال؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه آگوست سال 1998 میلدی
عنوان: ماتیلدا؛ نویسنده: روال دال؛ مترجم: محبوبه نجف خانی؛ تهران، نشر چشمه؛ 1376؛ در 246 ص؛ شابک: 9646194532؛ چاپ چهارم 1384؛ چاپ پنجم 1386؛ در 266 ص؛ شابک: 9789646194533؛ ششم 1388؛ هفتم 1391؛ چاپ هشتم 1394؛ موضوع: داستانهای طنز کودکان و مدرسه ها از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
عنوان: ماتیلدا؛ نویسنده: روال دال؛ مترجم: شهلا طهماسبی؛ تهران، نشر مرکز؛ 1376؛ در 218 ص؛ شابک: 9643053377؛
Stephanie
WOW, I loved Matilda ! This was my first time reading the story that makes so many list of "must read" that I wanted to understand what all of the fuss was about. Well now I do!!!

Roald Dahl weaves a compelling and creative tale that keeps the reader interested from start to finish! This book is charming, clever, and funny ... with a bit of sadness mixed in.

The characters are vividly developed:

From the Good ...

* Matilda, the child prodigy, who taught herself to read and has morals (not sure whe
Mario
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
Nayra.Hassan

Maria Clara
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sinceramente, me ha encantado 😊
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I have short-changed this story by giving it 3 stars for so long. I ran out and bought this book for my little nieces for Christmas. No way they will grow up without Matilda in their life. She's brilliant! What a love for books and knowledge! Such a gentle, empathetic soul! I can't wait to share her with them.

8/28/17

Listening to this for the third time...I just adore Kate Winslet's narration. She's fantastic, perfect for children and adults.,

11/12/17

Audible relisten I just cannot get enough of t
Trish
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've seen the movie three times already and always loved it but it wasn't until recently that I finally bought the book. Roald Dahl truly is the master storyteller everyone calls him!

Every book he wrote (of those I've read so far) seems to have sort of a signature style that makes the reader recognize the author while at the same time the tone of the book is different. The characters are unique and have wonderful depth - which is not self-evident since the books are fairly thin. Each story feat
Poonam
This book is such a FUN FUN read. If you are in mood for a light stress-buster, this book is just PERFECT.

I haven't seen the movie and this book was a surprise for me. I love the author's writing style and the way Matilda, her family and her life in general has been portrayed.

There is underlying humor in the book which is very subtle but an absolute joy to read.

I loved Matilda, she is absolutely amazing and I would want to be friends with her in real life.
I love that she loved books

Miss. Trunc
Sarah Churchill
What's not to love about Matilda? Child genius who loves reading and learning, Terrible (verbally abusive) parents and an all kinds of abusive Headmistress. It sounds like it's going to be dismal, and it is sad - I really, really felt for little Matilda - but her attitude and outlook on life are fantastic and inspirational. And like all Dahl books, the nasty characters get their comeuppance. Love, love, love this book even more than I remembered.
Ε.Χ.Γ. ⚓
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Η Ματίλντα είναι ένα βιβλίο που πρωτοδιάβασα όταν ήμουν δευτέρα δημοτικού και το διαβάζω ακόμη, τουλάχιστον μια φορά το χρόνο, εδώ και σχεδόν δεκατρία χρόνια. Και συνεχίζω και το απολαμβάνω. Ήταν (και είναι) βιβλίο-σταθμός στη ζωή μου. Μ' έκανε να αγαπήσω ακόμη περισσότερο το διάβασμα και τα βιβλία, μου χάρισε το παιδικό μου πρότυπο (τη Ματίλντα) και μου έδωσε άπειρες ώρες ευχαρίστησης και περιπλάνησης στις σελίδες του. Και αγαπώ όσο τίποτα άλλο το φθαρμένο του εξώφυλλο. Ευχαριστώ Ρόαλντ Νταλ!
Annie♡
Reto de la Mansión Encantada. Séptimo libro.
Sencillamente maravilloso.❤❤
Duane
This Roald Dahl classic was first published in 1988 and holds a high ranking on the list of best children's literature. And the movie, directed and acted by Danny Devito, may even be better. These great characters that Dahl created, Matilda, her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Wormwood, Miss Trunchbull, Miss Honey, were all brought to life in what is one of my favorite children's movies.
Brian
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write about how great this book is, but I think my 8-year old daughter does a much better review. She read the book aloud to my wife and me on our long road trip this week.

The non sequitur moment in her review brought to you by Spice, the howling cat.

Oh, and yes - Spoilers abound.
James
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Roald Dahl at his very best - a classic children's book that all adults should read too!

The characters, narrative and illustrations (Quentin Blake) all combine to produce something so wonderful that it could have been made in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

The film and stage adaptations are both very good, but the book (as is so often the case) is still so much better.
Maram
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My love for reading began when I was 8 years old and read this amazing novel
Thank you thank you thank you and a hundred times over :')
Should I read this? 12 62 Nov 14, 2017 01:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Language in Title 9 28 Jul 17, 2017 01:24PM
  • Minoes
  • Het Gulden Vlies van Thule (De Toekomsttrilogie, #3)
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • Koning van Katoren (Katoren, #1)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Just as Long as We're Together
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)
  • And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
  • Mandy
  • Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Island of the Aunts

More about Roald Dahl...
49 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 1131 likes
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 1011 likes