Start by marking “This Is Lean: Resolving the Efficiency Paradox” as Want to Read:
This Is Lean: Resolving the Efficiency Paradox

This Is Lean: Resolving the Efficiency Paradox

This-is-Lean
Published November 25th 2012 by Rheologica Publishing (first published 2011)

Start your review of This Is Lean: Resolving the Efficiency Paradox
Vỹ Hồng
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book.
The authors managed to cleanly and concisely define the popular, yet poorly understood, concept of Lean.
I feel like professor Takahiro Fujimoto says it much better than I do. So I'm just gonna quote him here:
"Lean is an apparently easy term to remember, but a rather difficult concept to understand accurately. This Is Lean is one of the most concise, easy-to-grasp, and fun-to-read books on the topic and it will help you understand the essence of this important management
Isidro López
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean, agile
AMAZING book.

A must for anyone willing to learn more about "Lean". Even if was already familiar with several concepts, this book explains exceptionally well how everything connects, with very interesting information and reflections about the "history" of the buzzy word.

And the "story" is very well written.

I can only highly recommend it :-)
Juan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've learned about flow units and superfluous tasks from a point of view that I've ever seen it.
Very good real life examples to understand perfectly the different concepts, little's law....

Must read
Marion Boberg
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy to read - half way read.
Bressain Dinkelman
This really is lean

If you want to know what lean is, this book will show you. Even the book is lean. It includes simple examples and gets to the point. I would heartedly recommend this to anyone attempting to turn their operation into a lean one.
Péter Szilágyi
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've received a free copy of this book at the Crunch conference in 2015.

Lean has been such a buzzword lately—especially in the IT/startup field—that I can't help but agree with the authors: some kind of guiding is needed to effectively sort the references available in abundance. This attempts to be such a handbook.

It explains what lean is, and even more importantly what lean is NOT, using easy to understand everyday examples. It builds concepts up step by step from processes to methodologies.
Pétur J.
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gives you a nice overview of what Lean is all about and tries very hard to dress up their core idea in pretty and attractive things so that people will better understand it. Personally, some of that annoyed me, but I'm perhaps not the target audience for this book as I'm already working in the Lean/Agile world and to me this core idea was neither foreign nor alien.
In fact the book helped me by equipping me with concepts and words to better phrase my own thoughts (as a good book should do) so
Tuomas
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The one book to read on Lean." Quick and concise, like the book, that statement was definitely true.
Jose Sbuck
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could by even five stars.. Really nice and easy to read presentation of "lean" business strategy. Rather short though and doesn't go deep enough, so I'll give four stars.

If lean strategy interests you, you should read this book. It's a quick read, communicates the concept clearly, and gives some interesting ideas to think. I think the book is deceivingly simple. The authors have done spectacular job in summarizing the core philosophy of lean, and its tradeoffs.

Some interesting points:

* You can
Peter
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
* Resource efficiency (focus on organization's internal needs via resource utilization) vs flow efficiency (focusing on how fast a flow unit is served, so on customers)
* Flow efficiency is value adding activity in relation to throughput time
* Process laws: Little's law (throughput time = flow units in process * cycle time), the law of bottlenecks (throughput time increases if there are bottlenecks), the law of the effect of variations on processes (throughput time increases as variations
Brad Willoughby
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean
Excellent, practical, and clear summary of what lean is, and what lean is not. The authors summarize lean as an operations strategy that prioritizes high flow efficiency over resource efficiency with the goal of continually improving both efficiencies by eliminating, reducing, and managing variation and waste. The book shows how this operations strategy can be implemented at various conceptual levels through Values (how we should behave, e.g. Respect and Teamwork), Principles (how we should ...more
Gustav Bertram
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, but great end

I am very familiar with Goldratt's Theory of Constraints, as conveyed in The Goal.

I thought the early discussion of flow efficiency versus resource efficiency and bottlenecks, oversimplified and perhaps slightly misrepresented TOC.

However, later discussion contextualized and clarified so much of how to understand Lean and the TPS that I am forced to give it five stars.

This book teaches you some of the concepts of Lean, but much more importantly teaches how you can
AJ Foster
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Addressing a topic as broad as organizational design and as deep as the Toyota Production System is a difficult task. This book takes a business buzzword and swiftly places it in historical context. I appreciate the way it distills the central themes of “Lean” into succinct chapters without unnecessary fluff. The goal is to present the facts about Lean, and the book lets you convince yourself of its merits.
Vanja Ilić
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction to Lean methodology.
A good introduction, and that's it. It's extremely repetitive and somewhat dumb at times. It clearly shows what it's meant to show but nothing more than that.
I was quite impressed by the Toyota interview part. It had a really nice zen vibe. Some of the examples are great but the overall repetitiveness and over-generalisation make this book pretty average.
Miko Kallas
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent semi-entertaining read.

Authors give good deeper insights how to take your business into pieces and assess the efficiency. What types of questions to ask yourselves. They give good ideas what to focus on and why. A lot of it is based on Toyota's ideology.

Optimising and making your business more effective is a dynamic never-ending process.
Amine
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I definitely got a serious and clear definition of “lean”. That’s great! I wish the graphs and illustrations were better, someone with a better skillset should help the author explaining the various abstract approaches in a nice visual way.
Quick read for quick readers. I needed a time to let every page sink in. Recommending it!
Tiago Palhoto
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book on Lean. The examples provided are really clear and appropriate, making it also essay to understand lean in its essence.
Aarni Kärkelä
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and simplified introduction to western lean concept. Opens the mind for lean thinking
Geert
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, concise and easily digestible.
Josh Skogman
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is great book to explain Lean in a very easy to understand manner. It’s a quick read, with lots of great analogies and examples. I would recommend this to anyone starting their Lean Journey.
Erika
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aroundtheyear-18
I enjoyed reading this book about Lean, it is put in a clear manner with a lot of good examples and real life examples you can easy relate to in order to understand main message.
Ivica Pavlesic
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone interested in lean and what is it all about should read this book first. It explains what is lean really.

Even book itself is “lean”. There is no single sentence that is not adding value to the flow unit (reader).
Harald Johansson
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great holistic explanation of lean, written in a straight forward and lean manner. Thanks!
Ivan Voras
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: serious, management
When I was about half done with this book, I thought it could be completely reduced to a single page of text instead of being an X page book. Now, I think it is best represented by a single paragraph, and here it is:

"Lean means different things to different people. To the authors, it is about increasing resource efficiency (the utilisation of resources available to the company), and flow efficiency (the time spent in processing and between processings of units of production). The relation
Karen Mardahl
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this might be _the_ book to read if you want a high-level understanding of lean. The authors explain what lean isn't and what lean is, and why there is an important difference.

It's an easy read. It took me a little over 3 hours to read and that included note-taking and some pondering over some ideas that popped up along the way. Easy doesn't mean it's simplified. The authors are simply very good at explaining things clearly using good examples along the way. Because it doesn't take that
Patrik Hallberg
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A good and easy starting point for people who want to learn more about lean. I really like this book since it's written in a way so that everybody can understand the main principles behind lean. One of them is to focus on flow efficiency instead of resource efficiency. The book explains that Lean is many things depending on which abstraction level you look at it and here the lovely fruit analogi (high abstraction-general definition) to green apple (low abstraction-specific definition) comes into ...more
Kenneth Aus
This book is a easy read book and fine introduction to lean philosophy. It goes through the concept quite well. Still, the writers should've gone more into the ideas about Muda. The book could easily be cut in half, and still deliver the same amount of value creating words. Most of the first seven chapter is not very interesting or value adding, and I several times while reading these chapters thought of stop reading it. The idea of having a whole chapter of what LEAN is not, is a total waste. ...more
Tomasz Kazimierski
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Last week I started discussion about lean approach in my team. The purpose for that was its application in the context of DevOps.

After very short time it was obvious I started it wrong. One of my colleagues, said:
- This talk is simple time wasting, we probably even don't real know what lean is.
- I know! It is simple - said another.
- So give me short definition in less then ten words
... and another colleague tried, and tried but it was just futile (and much longer then ten words). We all stuck.
Mohinudheen Shabi
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book reiterates that management science is simplest of all sciences yet not simplistic. The concept described in the book are simple yet profound. The learned insight / input to take away from the book are not just meant for graduate students or senior managers but also for the casual book readers as well as for the distant home maker. Its a book with simple grammar, analogy and semantics all in a reasonably small size.
A. N. Janes
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brings lean concepts on such a simple way with everyday examples and explanations. I don’t think you will learn a lot of new terms or completely new ideas, but value of this book is entirely in perception and deeper reflection on already known concepts. I read somewhere review, that I liked „This is lean is lean itself“.
great book 1 5 Apr 26, 2014 02:51PM

• Omgiven av idioter
  • Lean asiantuntijatyön johtamisessa
  • Aki Hintsa – Voittamisen Anatomia
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Transforming NOKIA: The Power of Paranoid Optimism to Lead Through Colossal Change
  • Essential Kanban Condensed
  • My First Murder (Maria Kallio, #1)
  • Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability: An Introduction
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Omgiven av dåliga chefer
  • Leijat Helsingin yllä
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • Taal is business
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • 2 Second Lean: How to Grow People and Build a Fun Lean Culture
“lean is not a static state to reach. It is not something you complete. It is a dynamic state characterized by constant improvement.” 1 likes