Start by marking “Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!” as Want to Read:
Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!

Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!

Sepanjang hidup saya melihat manusia berkaki empat. Berekor anjing, babi atau kerbau. Berbulu serigala, landak, atau harimau. Dan berkepala ular, banteng, atau keledai. Namun tetap saja mereka bukan binatang. Cara mereka menyantap hidangan di depan meja makan sangat benar. Cara mereka berbicara selalu menggunakan bahasa dan sikap yang sopan. Dan mereka membaca buku-buku be ...more
Published January 2002 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama

To ask other readers questions about Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!

Start your review of Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet!
Calvin
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sastra
One of the most sarcastic short stories compilation ever. Djenar wonderfully woven a story in a finest schizophrenic from. This short story consists various themes that portrays realism, almost all stories end with unexpected endings which left surrealistic impression.

This is one of the finest short story compilation ever. I like it very much.
Waode R. Amalia
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After read the first chapter, i found this book very absurd. It makes sense but still absurd. But i keep reading it. Pages after pages, then i realized, for its absurdity, taboo, and unusual way of telling stories, I actually like it.
Because it uses all of my imagination. It feels so surreal.
I love it.
Yuu Sasih
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The translation is nice, I think, though for some stories, like the Dog Man which used many culturally specific terms like "Asuuuu!" which an uber rude curse word in Indonesia and then getting translated as "You dog!", the intensity just lost in translation. lol.

But other than that, my second time reading Mereka Bilang, Saya Monyet! and this time in English translation, I love it better! Maybe because I somehow could understan Djenar better now.

Favorite stories:

1. The Say I'm a Monkey (Mereke Bi
Windy hapsari
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
i think this is fenomenal and brave book, written by Djenar M Ayu. consisted of many short stories, my favourite are "Lintah" & "Mereka Bilang Saya Monyet". the main character are the young women with psychilogical trouble, about how they saw their gender, how they saw their genital. and the reason behind their behaviour which implicitly said in the story. People behaviour is not far from any other living things, even its animals. we are part of them anyway. at the end, its on the reader to deci ...more
Tria Widyakumala
Wow, It was brilliant. Using animals as irony and personification. Djenar Maesa Ayu perfectly described the "human" based on animal's behavior. Once I read this book, I just couldn't stop. It was really interesting. Sensuality and past-life bitterness were glued to every story in it. Most of the stories made me say "Oh My God" and bit my lip to show how deep the story has gotten to me. However, this book was the mix of Djenar's short story, I could feel that each story has a lot of similarity an ...more
Brian
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
If people say that they don't like this book, i'm gonna think it's alright, it's just a matter of taste. But nevertheless, this book is one of the fine samples of modern-day literature. And given that most of the topic is or touch a sense of sexuality, this simply depicts what is going on in our society. Don't escape. Coz you can't. I think it's a good read. 'SMS' is a supersmart story, only a handful of authors can do something like this.
Nday Nday
I've heard her reputation as a very direct, physical, brutally honest writer.. She is trying to rise the bar by talking about some taboo subject of a woman life in her short stories in this book.. I have to admit that she is brave to tell the ugly truth, irony and agony of being woman.. Those are not nice stories to read but those metaphoric way of story telling make this book quite interesting.. Not many people would understand this..
Lynita
Oct 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
not really my type of book...mainly because it's compilation of short story, I prefer to read a 'normal' book with complete story that contain detail & structure (beginning, middle, ending). Regardless, it's quite daring & interesting book since it's based on the darker side of society we live in that's not many people would like to talk about... ...more
Farah
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is a hit or miss.
Some people will totally love it and some people just don't, there is no in between.
Despite the thick (and sometimes kinda disturbing) sexual contents/implications from the book, I do enjoy a few stories from overall eleven stories. My personal favorites are SMS and Waktu Nayla.
Firly Afwika
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-read
Djenar Maesa Ayu never fails me! I admire her straight-forwardness on revealing about woman's sexuality and the problem of intimacy. Many female writers came up with the concept of "Sastra Wangi" but Djenar had proved that she had her own signature. It is daring, flirtatious and full of risqué! Definitely an honest testimonial from woman's radical perspective! Breath-taking!
Zeta Bookshelves
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was reading the short story titled "SMS"
when I ask for a pencil and paper to a friend.
Guess what?

I made a schema of who sending messages to who,
and their relationships each other.

That was a new way experiencing reading!
Wicak Hidayat
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: onthe
The best on this book is Waktu Nayla, which i first read at a local newspaper. I think Djenar is much better here than her next books, not that she is not progressing it's just that her writing sort of slipped off my taste bud afterwards.
Ardita Çaesari
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indonesian
Forgot what was inside the book. But I reckon Djenar has a pretty straightforward way to tell a story. More like a prose to me rather than a short story. Should it be rated as an adult reading material? Dunno.
Helga Soenimanggar
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
nice to read.. love character..:) and what a life ya.. and society :)
Hayatun Nafysa
While I can see that Mbak Djenar is aiming at implicit, hyperbole description, I don't understand the metaphors in this book sometimes, fam :")
Ika Anggraeni
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
sexy and clever short stories
Rediningrum
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction
Untuk Gaya Bahasa, bisa dibilang: PEYORATIF. But still nice to read.
Yusak Lie
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book challenges us to look at ourselves before judging others.
Puput Krisnasekar
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'd read the book before I watched the movie.
And I prefer the book to the movie.
I always love how Djenar cynically writes romance (since I don't like a happy-ending romance).
Amellina
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
I like Djenar's writings.
A bit poetic, but straight to the point. My favorite style. :)

Collection of her short stories. Beautiful, most of them...
Kiinanbipbep
Feb 13, 2010 is currently reading it
I liked the way Djenar write, so I wanted to try to become familiar in his work
Arlinaputri
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
one word for this book : GREAT!
Anissa Utami
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
i kinda forget what it's all about, so... write later! ^_^
Liza
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
liked it! still like it!!
metaphor..
bringing you far beyond your imagination
by finishing short writing one by one
Melina
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
dunia begitu mengerikan, my eyes was opened bcoz of this book.
Mohammed Ramdanni
BEAUTIFULLL
Felly
Annoyed by her words but it seems that it's her most powerful strength for all her novels.
Fahmi Arfiandi
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
what can i say more bout DJENAR???....WILD!!!
Endira
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
i don't wish so-called-strong-women to be seen this way.
Amalia Rosewin
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
i love this book so much..
djenar had a big fantasy about love.sex and she mixed it in one literature books.
made me imagine more

• Nanti Kita Cerita Tentang Hari Ini
  • Ayat-Ayat Cinta
  • Partikel
  • Pergi
Djenar Maesa Ayu started her writings on many national newspapers. Her first book "Mereka Bilang Saya Monyet!" has been reprinted more than 8 times and shortlisted on Khatulistiwa Literary Award 2003.

Her short story “Waktu Nayla” awarded the best Short Story by Kompas in 2003, while “Menyusu Ayah” become The Best Short Story by Jurnal Perempuan and translated to English by Richard Oh with title “S