Start by marking “Blott On The Landscape” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Blott On The Landscape

Tom Sharpe

Blott On The Landscape

In Blott on the Landscape, the landscape is flawless until Sir Giles, man of few principles and curious tastes, plots to build a highway smack through it. Sir Giles recruits to his side Hoskins, a corrupt local official; Lord Leakham, the environmental equivalent of a hanging judge; and Dundridge, a troublesome bureaucrat with an unhealthy passion for order. Pitted against ...more
Audio Cassette
Published by Chivers Audio Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blott On The Landscape, please sign up.
Ollie Ray Wingate 'Blott...' features a cast of crackpot/eccentric characters, wild situations, and raunchy humor that makes for the usual Sharpe hilarity.

A good read b…more

A good read but I would start with 'Wilt' #1. Go with 'Porterhouse Blue' next followed by 'The Throwback' or 'Riotous Assembly'. Basically all his 1970s novels are great.

I like/in some cases love everything he wrote but agree with the criticism that his humor went toward the cruel and sadistic in his later works.(less)

Start your review of Blott On The Landscape
Manuel Antão
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Un-PC British Farce: "Blott on the Landscape" by Tom Sharpe

Who’s funnier? Lee Child, P. G. Wodehouse, or Tom Sharpe? (*) What has happened to funny books these days? Most of these are old, some very old. The Goodreads best of 2016 humour category was all non-fiction (apart from an Alan Partridge autobiography which is still sort of... but not quite). There's nothing wrong with old. Except I've read or decided not to read most of them a
Nancy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typically Sharpe; scintillating, absurd, intricately plotted, vulgar, hilarious. The David Suchet narration is sheer joy and adds to the merriment.
Leslie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
July 2018 reread - still a good book but I was more distracted this time around so I didn't find it quite as funny...

4.5 stars for this audiobook edition. David Suchet was brilliant as the narrator; his different voices for the characters were so varied that at times it was hard to believe that they were all being done by the same person!

I found the humor in this often vulgar and yet never offensive. It was sort of a mish-mash of Benny Hill & P.G. Wodehouse -- the zany plot was very Wodehousian
Leo .
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic! David Suchet played Blott in the TV film. LOL! 👍🐯
Andrew
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sharpe to me is a cruel and cutting observer of the amazing absurdities of the British, not only did I have the joy of reading his work but I have also heard him speak many years ago when for some strange reason he visited our local library. Sadly now he has passed but some of the stories he could recount that he not only witnessed but in some cases actually were involved with make his stories seem mundane and sedentary.
But as for this book - well this was how I was introduced to Tom Sharpe
Eleanor
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, 2019-books
Very clever and totally absurd. Sharpe has some shrewd and funny observations in among the nonsense. In describing one of the principal characters, a government bureaucrat called Dundridge:

"In practical terms Dundridge was clearly a disaster. On the other hand he did have a flair for public relations. His schemes sounded good and year by year Dundridge had been promoted, carried upward by an ineluctable wave of inefficiency and the need to save the public the practical consequences of his latest
Realini
Blott on the Landscape by Tom Sharpe
10 out of 10

The exquisite, hilarious, enchanting novel is included on The 1,000 Novels Everyone Must Read list and when we finish- in fact, while we read it - we can see why this absolute marvel is there, in the comedy section.

It reminded me of Titmuss Regained by John Mortimer, for Sir Giles Lynchwood has similarities with Leslie Titmuss and furthermore, the plot of Blott shares common traits with the equally delightful work of John Mortimer, in both books a
Peggy
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of British humour, and by British humour I mean truly horrifying things happening to people so vile that it's funny rather than off-putting, you have to read Tom Sharpe.

His first 2 books (Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly) are satires on the apartheid-era South African police force so biting they got Sharpe tossed out of the country.

Since then, he's turned his satiric gaze on the Brits, and the results are often laugh-out-loud funny.

Blott is an Italian gardener (who's not re
Redfox5
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, fiction, humor
Another funny book from Tom Sharpe. Wish I had discovered him sooner!

Lady Maud's horrible husband, tries to get a motorway installed through their property in order to swindle his wife and get out of the marriage with some money. But nothing goes to plan and Lady Maud is ready for a fight.

Well worth a read.
Stuart Bone
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
Lady Maude is the last in the line of the Handymans and expects her husband, local MP Sir Giles Lynchwood, to do his duty and breed with her. Sir Giles has other tastes in that department (Nanny Whip, Schoolgirl sexpot) and his mistress, down in London, is happy to oblige him in these whims.

Both would like a divorce but with Sir Giles wanting his whims kept secret and Lady Maude knowing she would lose her beloved Handyman Hall, it could prove tricky. Not that that is going to stop them.

Sir Gile
Angrboda
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was searching Audible for something interesting. I wanted something light and funny and happened across this author and thought, "hey, why not?"

Why not indeed!

Quite a complicated tale actually. I attempted to tell Husband what it was about and couldn't even think of where to begin.

It's a very funny book and I'll be having a go at others from this author in the future. The only thing that disappoints me is that the blurb here on GoodReads, which I assume is the same as on the book itself, actu
Haoyan Do
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not as good as "Porterhouse Blue" or "Wilt" or "Indecent Exposure" which I read years ago. It still has Tom Sharpe's signature farce and humor, but overall the language is not as good as Porterhouse and the plot is not as well developed as Wilt. One thing I really love about Tom Sharpe's books is that usually the unconventionally "beautiful" women triumph in love, sex, life. Well, just about everything. I think it's a refreshing point of view, no matter how vulgar the author manages ...more
Helen Carolan
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
re-reading an old favourite and it still makes me laugh. Sir Giles Lynchwood is keen to divorce his wife but keep the money he paid for her ancestral home. As a result he decides to back a plan for a new motorway running through the estate. Sadly for him wife Lady Maud has other ideas. With the help of love-lorn Blott the gardener she aims to stop him. The usual mayhem typical to a Sharpe novel ensues!!
William
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-self
I hope this book was supposed to be funny, because I found it hilarious. A quirky, ridiculously British battle over what route the new highway would take, and who would get compensated, and the scandalous efforts made by politicians to get their way.
Hannah Polley
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have huge hopes when I picked this book up as it looked a little outdated - just showing why you should never judge a book by its cover!

This book is a really funny story of two people in an unhappy marriage, trying to find a way out of it.

I definitely took against Giles from the first and was on Maud's side throughout. Even when she pretty much let a lion eat him. I loved Blott and his feelings for Maud. And everything that happened with Dundridge.

This was a quick, laugh out loud read.
Barry Lee
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 20 years ago and having picked up a job lot of sharpe novels at a Car boot recently, I though it deserved another read. It is, of course, total farce; but I loved it. This time round, having seen the TV series, it's impossible not to hear the brilliant David Suchet read the words of Blott, the naturalised German/Italian/Jewish POW, or Geraldine James as the Rubinesque Lady Maud. But the book is far funnier than the screenplay, with more convoluted plots, more extrovert character ...more
Celia
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Sharpe gets compared to Wodehouse on the back of my copy of this novel - nothing like as subtle and witty, of course, but I suppose Wodehouse gets hauled out as a comparison for any British writer of satirical comedy. Blott on the Landscape is a decidedly crude, un-subtle but still very funny book about Lady Maude, her gardener Blott and philandering husband (on whom she takes a particularly vicious revenge later in the book). There's also plans for a motorway to be built through Lady Maude's ho ...more
Huw Evans
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, fiction
I read much of Tom Sharpe when I was in my teens and the verbal and situational humour in his books is breathtaking; it is unjust that some writer's humour glands are so highly developed (cf Pratchett, Donleavy and Adams)that they take away the ability to control oneself in public. Not all of his books are as good but Blott is one of his best. To describe the plot as one in which an immigrant proves himself more English than the English is not a spoiler - there is so much more.
Richard Beasley
This is early warning of what happened later in Sharpe's career. The style is always on a knife edge - when it works (and it so often does in many other of his books) it is some of the finest humorous writing. But when it doesn't it is awful (Ancestral Vices and Vintage Stuff and after). This is on the cusp of awful, but just gets away with it.
Don't get me wrong, Tom Sharpe is one of my favourite writers and many of his books are amongst my favourites of all time.
Chris
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read years ago & watched t.v adaptation.

Mam & brother love TS books.
Fondest memories of mam laughing hysterically while trying to read out passages of various TS books to me..especially on the telephone!

Must read more Tom Sharpe!
Kitty
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical! David Suchet played the character on the TV series, as well. Almost as funny as the book.
Emmy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wasn't sure what to expect, but this book was hilarious and awful and all things in between! Take a book by PG Wodehouse, but make it rated R and I think you have an idea of what we're getting into. Steamy affairs, horrible misunderstandings, blackmail, some questionable sexual practices, and a whole host of wild beasts makes up just a small sample of the craziness that goes down in this book. There were so many times when I didn't know if I should be laughing (but I totally was anyway) and ot ...more
Caroline
Love Tom Sharpe's novels, usually finding the funny side of life in the upper class. I would compare him to Yes Minister and the funny circles of life that can be created if you can just take enough people with you. This book is the division of Husband and Wife and who can come out ahead and win the property or just end up the winner in the divorce. Sounds simple but very complex options are considered which each think to out clever the other party. Some very funny moments ensue. Highly recommen ...more
Mike Jennings
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this.
I've always been a little cautious about "comedy" novels - it seems to me that they are extremely hit and miss (and of course it very much depends on what mood the reader is in as to whether the humour comes across well or not). This kept my interest all the way through and made me chuckle and smirk quite often - which is an achievement, believe me (I'm way too cynical for my own good).

On the strength of this I will read some more Tom Sharpe.
Derelict Space Sheep
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
42 WORD REVIEW:

Sharpe weaves plot strands like Wodehouse and is similarly dexterous in his use of prose. He is coarse, though, and often vulgar, his characters toilet plungered en masse from the unseemly depths of human nature. Nonetheless, ‘Blott’ executes a dizzying comedic spiral.
Bex
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I bruised a few ribs, the first chapter alone had me howling with laughter.
Tom Sharpe is masterful in shining a bright light on the absurd follies of mankind. Will now read through the rest of his novels.
steve
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Wilt but it was a fun read. Looking for a book to bring a smile to my face Blott on the Landscape certainly did that although certain parts were more brutal than I was expecting. Still if you are a fan of English comedy I would recommend it.
Smokin_Joe
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my introduction into Tom Sharpe books. Couldn't put it down as wanting see to what could possibly happen next. They must have had the author on board for the TV series as well as the series is almost word for word from the book, nothing missed which is a good thing.
Sarah Rigg
Sometimes when I was a kid and I was bored and had read all my library books, I'd pick up a paperback we had around the house and read it. I recall that was the case with this one. I liked the weird cover and knew it was supposed to be funny. I don't remember much about it, though.
Leslie Wilson
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
One of the best satires I've read in a very long time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Landscape Companies 1 1 May 18, 2018 04:09AM

• Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall (War Memoirs, #1)
  • The Alley Man
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Around the World in 80 Days: Companion to the PBS Series
  • Putin: Prisoner of Power
  • The Second Jungle Book
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, #5)
  • John Donne's Poetry
  • Dog Soldiers
  • Molesworth
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Collected Stories
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1)
  • Flashman and the Dragon (The Flashman Papers, #8)
  • Scoundrels: The Hunt for Hansclapp
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur