Start by marking “The Innkeeper's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Innkeeper's Daughter

The Innkeeper's Daughter

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Holderness, 1846.

For reliable, thirteen-year-old Bella, life isn’t turning out quite as she’d hoped. She lives at the Woodman Inn – an ancient hostelry run by her family in the Yorkshire countryside – surrounded by two older brothers who never pull their weight and a flighty younger sister. When Bella learns not only that her father is seriously ill, but that her mother is
Published November 8th 2012 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Innkeeper's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Innkeeper's Daughter

Clare O'Beara
I enjoyed this evocation of the life of innkeeping families in Yorkshire in the nineteenth century. Through the person of Bella, whose father is an inn tenant, we see the rural life as farm labourers are fed and put up during harvest season, travellers are warmed and refreshed, and local people come for a quiet pint and game of dominoes. Innkeeping is profitable enough if the landlord can just refrain from drinking his stock.

With the early death of Bella's father, she, her brothers, little sist
Claire
After a few chapters I was still waiting for something to happen. Something to get you interested and want more. Found the story a bit dull. I finished the book. Very predictable. I have another Val wood novel to read and I hope that it will be a better story.
Ria
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming story reminiscent of the work of Catherine Cookson and Josephine Cox.
Bella Thorp and her family run the Woodman inn in Holderness until disaster strikes and her father who has a weak heart dies and her bereft, pregnant mother is left to keep things going with the rest of her children to help but some are more reluctant to muck in and keep the family business going than others.
The eldest girl Bella is expected to make all the sacrifices and give up her teaching dream which she dutifull
Anne Harvey
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Val Wood book I've read but I was very impressed. I'm a big fan of family/regional sagas but one of the things I've noticed is that they can be quite depressing. This one is different. Although there are the inevitable setbacks, there's a positive aspect throughout with all the characters rising above setbacks to surge ahead. Bella is the eponymous daughter of the title, her father keeping an inn in Holderness, East Yorkshire. Although her one desire is to be a schoolteacher, s ...more
V.E. Lynne
Nicely written story of a young girl, Bella, whose life and dreams are forced to change when her father dies suddenly and her mother makes the decision to move the family from Holderness to Hull. Bella has to find a way for her own talents to shine and there is also the tantalising figure of Jamie Lucan, a landowner's son who becomes a doctor, hovering in the background, offering the chance of an unexpected romance. Lovely tale, the author's level of research into 19th century Hull and Holdernes ...more
Emily
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Overall, Wood does an excellent job of balancing broad depictions of the Empire with intimate domestic scenes in an engaging way. Through the build-up of see-saw moments and endearing characterisation, I took an avid interest in what the outcome would be. No matter the satting, The Innkeeper’s Daughter relevant to 2013, in which the fortunes of ‘Britain’ as a joint Scottish-English-Welsh concept are equally up in the air as during the time of Empire.

Read more at http://emilykmorrison.wordpress.c
Jenni
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Val Wood really makes sure that her stories flow right to the end of the book. Tale of a hard working family in queen Victorias era. The author had descendants who ran inns so introduced the running of them into the story. Bella is the main character and she has to sacrifice her dream of becoming a teacher in order to keep the family afloat. It also shows from her siblings how different they are from each other and what paths in life they want to take.
Michael Cayley
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the mid-19th century, this novel centres on the daughter of a village innkeeper whose father dies prematurely and who moves from a largely impoverished rural community in Holderness, Yorkshire to Hull, where her talents have full scope, and a landowner's younger son who trains as a doctor. This is an engaging novel, well-researched, which does not shy away from the appalling conditions of poor people.
Andrew Milner
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Val Wood book. Good story of the coming together of 2 people from different backgrounds. Based in 1847, the story follows an Innkeepers family and especially the daughter. Held my attention throughout. Fabulous writing style enabled me to picture it all as the story went along.
Gill
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. I cared what happened to the characters.
Katie Caulfield
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent read xx
crazy
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this much better than I thought I recommend it
Andrea
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friend-book
Really good read like reading this book a heartwarming story well written.
Caroline Montague
This was my first Val Wood book & I will be reading more. A very enjoyable read.
Sharon
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reading, nice bit of escapism with a touch of history
Abcdarian
This is like a Catherine Cookson novel as written by Maeve Binchy: the miserable circumstances of the first, but the cheerful resolution of the second.
Serena Shires
Aug 09, 2013
Maryam Alharthi
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Since winning the Catherine Cookson Prize for Fiction for her first novel, The Hungry Tide, Val Wood has become one of the most popular authors in the UK. Born in the mining town of Castleford, Val came to East Yorkshire as a child and has lived in Hull and rural Holderness where many of her novels are set. She now lives in the market town of Beverley. When she is not writing, Val is busy promotin ...more
More about Val Wood...