Start by marking “For Love and a Beetle: A Tale of Two Journeys” as Want to Read:
For Love and a Beetle: A Tale of Two Journeys

For Love and a Beetle: A Tale of Two Journeys

This is the story of Beth and Ivan Hodge, a New Zealand couple who, in 1961, drove their Volkswagen Beetle from London to Calcutta. In 1996, 35 years later, they repeated their journey in the same Beetle. This book chronicles their experiences on both journeys, highlighting the political and social changes that have occurred in the meantime, and also how they themselves ha ...more
Published 1999 by New Holland Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about For Love and a Beetle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love and a Beetle

Start your review of For Love and a Beetle: A Tale of Two Journeys
Travelling Cari
Got this at a secondhand shop in Melbourne.

Started this on the flight from Melbourne to Adelaide on Sunday (19/8)and finished it today (21/8). It was a wonderful read, a look at travelers my age 45 years ago and then much older when they did the second trip in 1996.

Some favourites:

-the tour of the factory in 1996 and viewing the following year of the so called 'new concept' beetle. Glad to see VW took an interest in them and their trip.
-it was great that on the second go around, t hey were able
Patricia
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous journey just in reading this book! It made me want to buy an old beetle and travel the world (some countries more than others). This couple rocks my world. Two journeys several years apart, same beetle, different points of view and ways of seeing things. Also, a cautionary tale of things to be more prepared for and learning the rules of the country. Fabulous!!!
Ridwan
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
A true love story, a couple for lifelong!
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
This book was super cute! Like 40 years ago, a couple from New Zealand got married and then did their OE in the UK. But instead of just taking a shit home, they bought a Bug and drove it home. And this book was about recreating that, as old people, in the same car! It was definatly an interesting read, but probabaly my least favourite thing about it was the Dude's need for media attention regarding it. It was like, they were driving through some pretty rough countries and having the media attent ...more
Skyring
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book inspired me to write my own, about the two far less ambitious trips I made to New Zealand, the first with my bride, the second twenty years later with a couple of teenagers in the back seat.

These travels - two trips across Europe and Asia in the same Volkswagen Beetle, 45 years apart - are the stuff of legend. Brave enough to do it once in as carefree youngsters, but to retrace the steps in what is now a veteran car!

I enjoyed this immensely. Some of the photographs are taken at the sam
Leslie
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fantastic read! I learned to drive a standard in a VW Beetle and have wanted one ever since (I'm not mechanical and live rural!). This book brought tears to my eyes and a love story to boot! Being an "naturalised" Kiwi too made it even sweeter. Ivan's note on the above review is A+! Highly recommended. ...more
Brian Sullivan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great travel book that is more a social history: seeing the same trip as two different worlds, the same geography at different times.
Meridee
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit slow - like their trips, but interesting.
Tasha
Sep 01, 2012
Nicola Sharp-hinton
Aug 21, 2012
Rebecca Addison
May 30, 2011
Elyse
rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2012