Start by marking “Smile of the Viper” as Want to Read:
Smile of the Viper

Smile of the Viper (Jack Barclay Mystery)

London private investigator Jack Barclay is on the trail of financier Tom Stanton who has disappeared with 1million of clients' money, leaving his desperate wife and children behind. Stanton's Parisian mistress, Danielle, is also involved with the boss of a drug smuggling cartel and Stanton is seduced into laundering money for them. When 4million of drugs cash goes missing ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Caffeine Nights Publishing (first published September 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Smile of the Viper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smile of the Viper

Lizzie Lamb
Dec 29, 2012 Lizzie Lamb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this well paced, well written book I kept envisaging it on the television. It would be a great book to adapt to a screen play and Jack Barclay is a hero/character who will run and run. So I hope that Harry Dunn will bring him back in his next book. The action is clear and definitive and the plot unravels in a satisfying and totally believable fashion. I like the idea of a private eye with a big heart and a degree of vulnerability who has his own demons to deal with. The secondar ...more
Sandra
Apr 08, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Dun's debut is impressive, and in private investigator Jack Barclay he has created a tough guy with a cuddly side.
Jack is called into action when financier Tom Stanton goes missing. His wife Jill thinks his disappearance is out of character, but as Jack starts to dig deeper, he learns that Tom has run off with nearly £1m of clients' cash - and is leading a double life in Paris.
Tom hasn't only upset his customers, because a bunch of nasties employed by a drugs cartel are also on his tail. C
Carol Bridgestock
A real page turner that will thrill you from the start to the finish.Jack Barclay is an excellent character as a real believable PI and with a drug smuggling cartel, murder, kidnap, torture, betrayal and the mafia thrown into the mix what more would a crime reader want for an entertaining read? Check Harry Dunn's debut novel out - you're in for a real treat!
Psst... If you want to get to know Harry a little better here's the link to my 'Close Up' with him :) ... http://blog.rcbridgestock.com/?p=
Anita Hargreaves
Gr8 thriller

Engrossed reading, competent thriller. Covering mob, drug cartel crime in France, UK, Russia and Mexico. Man thinks the grass is greener and has an affair and loses everything.
Best Crime Books & More
I have to be honest and say that the cover of this book didn’t appeal to me. Don’t ask me why, I can’t put my finger on it but it just doesn’t sit right with me. What I can tell you is that it does NOT do the book justice and if I had one major criticism to Mr Dunn and his Publishers it would be to look at changing the style of cover for his next book. The synopsis of this sounded good and the opening chapters were enough to reel you in.

Jack Barclay is a Private Investigator and things have been
Sharon Loveday
Feb 29, 2016 Sharon Loveday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"From one Berkshire writer to another", I loved this book. Jack Barclay is a well-defined character who I would liken to Jackson Brodie from the Kate Atkinson books. The intrigue keeps you reading and not wanting to put the book down. The character of Tom is cleverly written too and, at each turn of events, the reader "sees" the situations in which he had put himself to cause his demise. The author has avoided over-description so the story flows well.
Karen Long
Jan 28, 2015 Karen Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
British noir at its best. Lots of thumping, plot twists, betrayals and whiskey panaceas. It has the grumpy, bone-weary British gumshoe that makes you feel every blow to his case and jawline. Read it!
Val Waring
Sep 30, 2016 Val Waring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Harry Dunn's style of writing. Fast paced had me hooked from the first page
michael pilgrim
michael pilgrim rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
david peters
david peters rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2017
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
May 03, 2017
Julian Richards
Julian Richards rated it really liked it
May 27, 2017
joan hetherington
joan hetherington rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2017
P Crane
P Crane rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Jay Tinsiano
Jay Tinsiano rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
ron harris
ron harris rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Sharon Brunsden
Sharon Brunsden rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
judith/judith
judith/judith rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2017
John Saunders
John Saunders rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Sigrid Patrick
Sigrid Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2017
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Susan V. Moore
Susan V. Moore rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Janthy Ross
Janthy Ross rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2017
Peggy Brown
Peggy Brown rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
John Smith
John Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
allan breeze
allan breeze rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
1959805
Harry Dunn was born and brought up in Aberdeen and worked at a variety of jobs before joining the Thomson Organisation,working in newspapers around the UK. He joined the BBC in 1967 just as their book publishing division began to flourish.Involved in press and publicity,he travelled on promotional tours with the likes of Delia Smith,Keith Floyd and Ken Hom to help build sales of their books.
Smile
More about Harry Dunn...

Jack Barclay Mystery (2 books)
  • Forever Evil: A Jack Barclay novel