Start by marking “Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators” as Want to Read:

In the years following the publication of Patrick Lencioni's best-seller The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, fans have been clamoring for more information on how to implement the ideas outlined in the book. In Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Lencioni offers more specific, practical guidance for overcoming the Five Dysfunctions--using tools, exercises, assessments ...more
Published March 10th 2005 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team

Start your review of Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
Jenn "JR"
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz-leadership
This is one of the best books I have read all year about leading teams -- much more useful than the last multi-week project management course I took!

I've worked in environments where strong team building was a priority and have always appreciated the extra effort made to organize team off-sites where everyone works together on many of the issues described in this book. Even though I am not leading team and my department is huge and geographically dispersed, I feel like there's a lot of material
Craig Childs
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This slim “field guide” is the follow-up to the author’s best-selling business book The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. The dysfunctions are:

1. Absence of Trust
2. Fear of Conflict
3. Lack of Commitment
4. Avoidance of Accountability
5. Inattention to Results

Lencioni offers practical tools—assessments, role playing, sharing exercises, etc.—to help leaders overcome each dysfunction. This volume is oriented primarily around the sorts of workshops a lead team can perform in a one- or two-day offsite retr
Todd
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A practical follow up to Patrick Lencioni’s Five Dysfunctions of a Team. If that book defines the problem, these are the solutions. Trainers, coaches and leaders will find this a treasure trove of exercises to build and mature teams.
محمد الملا
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
A really successor for the "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" book

Informative, Clear, simple, Direct and work reading

This book can be read by spectlist in team building Team leaders and mangers, more then any other readers

But, reader should be aware that there is more about team building then this book .. more to be aware of about teams is out there

Regards
Tõnu Vahtra
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Clarity - The elimination of assumptions and ambiguity from a situation.
Mining for conflict - A facilitation skill that requires an individual to extract buried disagreements within a team and bring them to the surface.
Teamwork - The state achieved by a group of people working together who trust one another, engage in healthy conflict, commit to decisions, hold one another accountable, and focus on collective results.

ABSENCE OF TRUST
Members of great teams trust one another on a fundamental, emot
Patrick
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
One of the problems with reading "must read" books in a field after you've been working for 15 years is that you spend a lot of time saying, "Well, duh, I knew that already!"

Of course, if you can remember what it was like 15 years ago when you started working, you'd say to yourself... "Hmmm... this book would have saved me a lot of headaches if I read it 15 years ago."

If you've never really thought much about team dynamics (or only thought about team dynamics in the "YOU" <-> "TEAM" sense), this
Mark
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good, and a fairly quick read. Some Great team insights with good exercises outlined. The core concepts are solid. It's a great book for team members to read because it's not quite as involved as some books are, yet the core attributes of great team participation or "membership" is laid out very well. I'm recommending this to my entire team. This fits seamlessly with Agile and Scrum concepts too yet is not as big of a bite for people who aren't ready for the entire Scrum layout. Extremely u ...more
Melody
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Actually, this is a very book which I do not think got the publicity or attention it should have. It demonstrates how to use applied psychology in the work place to build teams. A good manager know this information, but Patrick does a good job of labeling it and organizing it so that it can be communicated and taught to others. He also does a great job of covering the elements of team building and dysfunction such that even a seasoned manager can learn something from this book.
Jeff Yoak
This book ended up being more or less a repeat of the material in the Five Dysfunctions book, though told in a different style. I suspect either book would be good on its own without the other, though ultimately, I'd prefer the original.
Kashif
Why this book was written: Great team management is one of the most integral parts of leadership - and the biggest factor to success. This book shows how to achieve this simple - yet often elusive task.

Summary: The keys to a great team are a set of 5 interlocking parts, which are the most frequent causes of dysfunctions in a team (hence the name of the book).

This author shows how each of these parts leads to the next and ultimately builds great teams.

Trust: The first and most crucial ingredie
Nathan
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Lencioni has long been one of my favorite business authors and perhaps the best there is on organizational health. His style of writing easily-accessible business fables that teach timeless truths has led to millions of book sales.

By far the most famous of those fables is The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable and those dysfunctions are worth listing: The first is an absence of trust among team members. Essentially, this stems from their unwillingness to be vulnerable within
Angela Lam
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Leaders, managers, HR, corporate executives
This book is a follow up to the fable 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, covering teamwork (and leadership).

I didn't read the original fable, but I suspect this book covers the bulk of the concepts there + added some actionable tips on how to recognize and overcome the 5 dysfunctions. There are basically 5 sequential levels to be conquered:
1. Building Trust
2. Mastering Conflict
3. Achieving Commitment
4. Embracing Accountability
5. Focusing on Results

Easy book to read, and practical solutions to apply. Goo
Ahmad
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This is an amazing companion and successor to the older book by the same author "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team", if that was about the problems, this book is about the solutions. The style of writing is different than that of the earlier book were it was mainly a fable about a mythical company. This book is more methodical and systematic, it reads very formulaic but still contains a lot of supporting example stories. It starts out with an overview of the model and then digs d ...more
Katie
Still active in my quest to acquire knowledge for the project I’m doing for work next year. A year of leadership training workshops for almost 200 people, what?! As I’m reading through this book today I can’t help but think,” Really Lord, me? Are you sure?”

He seems to be.

This was another book I’ve been reading to ground my knowledge in all things leadership, team, and self-development for the sake of great work! I appreciated this field guide of how to implement Lencioni’s previous work on the s
Ryan Barretto
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read. The author shares his model concisely and then shows how to address the dysfunctions through very thoroughly detailed steps, tools and exercises.
My only concern is that he promotes the use of MBTI first and other tools like DISC later. I'm not MBTI or DISC certified, but I'm aware that MBTI is not really a scientifically valid tool in comparison to DISC or others like hogan assessments, PI or PRISM.

The book is worth investing in, especially if you are a manager of a team, or
Nathalie Karasek
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: _m_hardcopy, people, 2018
Nice read, easy to read style with some stories and a bunch of exercises plus a team building roadmap. Good structure of the different parts like section three that dedicates chapters to common questions and objections. So generally a nice and interesting book but still only 3 stars cause it somehow does not offer a lot more detail than the original book. I would recommend it to someone who is in a hurry, wants to skip the original book and move to action right away. To everyone else I would rec ...more
Susan
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the training I attended on the 5 dysfunctions of a team so I was looking forward to reading this book (which I actually listened to). It was valuable in giving examples and tips for overcoming the five dysfunctions, but it left me wishing I'd read the main book first, in addition to attending the training. I will go back and read that book. And I highly recommend the audiobook- the narrator is excellent. ...more
Erika RS
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This was full of great material. I only rate it as 3/5 because it really is little more than an appendix to The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. If you remove the redundant material, it almost could have literally been an appendix despite the slim size of the original. As such, it was a bit of a dull read. However, as a summary of the key ideas and, more importantly, ways to help build a team toward effectiveness, it was a highly valuable supplement.
Dmitry Potapov
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Quite interesting book with it is own model of problem in ther team, that can prevent it from productive work.
If you are searching for something, that may help you make you team more productive and purpusofull - it book may help you. If you interesting in something, that may help you to build you own group from scratch (for example from group of junior engineers) - it is not such kind of book (in my own opinion).
Mirsen Mutabdzija
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Different approach in overcoming modern challenges in organization and managing the business. Everything is covered with apropriate examples, which may lead to improvements of managerial skills to the reader. Warm recommendations to read.
Scott
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite management books. I recommend this to every new and aspiring leader in my organization. The concept laid out here about how a team should behave and act resonates with me. In general, I find the author's style easy to read, enjoyable, and full of messaging! ...more
Rafik Farouk
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This version of the original book lives up to its name as a "field guide". As I read the book, I couldn't help but think of "my team", which is where this book hits the mark. I could actually see my teams strengths, as well as opps for growth AS I READ THE BOOK! ...more
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teamwork, workbook
A short yet valuable addition to the book “the five dysfunctions of a team” that contains exercises to overcome those with facilitation agendas for each. There’s more to ask from a practical “workbook”? A must read if you are interested in assessing and improving teamwork.
Marty Hu
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book and super applicable as well. I thought that this was the better version of the original Five Dysfunctions of a Team because it reads in a more straightforward solution-oriented way that is helpful for teams who already know they want to improve.
Melissa
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, leadership
If you read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team and said how do I fix my team this is the book for you. Breaks down the different dysfunctions and gives various tools to try to help build a healthy team. Can't wait to use at work. ...more
Ryan Seamons
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, business
A little dated now, but a solid review of the challenges teams and leaders face.

For me, the major message was that having real conversations and doing what you can to become more aware will bring positive results for companies and teams.
Nurissa McWilliam
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
This is definitely more of a workbook that you would use when implementing all the strategies outlined in the first book (five dysfunctions of a team), but a good additional piece following that book.
Andria
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The specificity helped me understand the concepts in the fable. This book made the actions clear.
Dara
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful. Very actionable, in fact it's appendix is of the most well laid out action plans I've seen. I don't agree with all of his assertions around conflict , but think he makes some good points. ...more
Brian Austin
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed the practical, example filled book
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster: Why Now Is the Time to #Join the Ride
  • Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • Measure What Matters
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • Leaders Eat Last
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to

News & Interviews

“Ego is the ultimate killer on a team” 6 likes
“Teams have to eliminate ambiguity and interpretation when it comes to success” 3 likes