Start by marking “Too Many Chances” as Want to Read:
Too Many Chances

Too Many Chances

Can Matt forgive the man who broke his heart and learn to trust him again, or has he already given him too many chances? Matt Jacobs has had a very bad day. First his boiler breaks down in the middle of his shower then he learns his beloved cat would rather live with his crotchety old neighbour. But while he s in work at a job he hates Matt gets the worst news of all. A ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Total-E-Bound Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Too Many Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Many Chances

Start your review of Too Many Chances
Arthur
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Matt and James were best friends in a small town in Missouri. In their teen years, Matt felt his feeling toward James was more than just friendship so he told the other boy. Unfortunately, not only it was not well accepted, what James said and did really broke Matt's heart. He fled the town.

Fast forward to today. When Matt's father passed away, he had to return to the town to deal with the funeral, house, etc. The two former best friends met again, as James turned out to be the
Alina
Nice story, very well-written with sympathetic characters, but it felt too drawn out for me :/ There was too little happening and too much thinking and overthinking and over-overthinking... and so on. The MCs reminiscing about their past and what happened then, that drove them apart and there's been too much of it for me. I mean I get why they (sort of) broke up, what's their motives were, let's move on! I'd prefer it to be either a shorter story or a little more action packed.
Still liked it,
Anke
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice enough read, although I would have loved it more without all the repetitions and inner musings. From some point on it got tiring.
Lucy
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit: I never learn my lesson about rereading things from a long time ago. I actually read the entire book and never realized I had, in fact, r ad this befor.m this time I didn't like it as much. Closet d and they are caught three separate time?

The funny thing about the day I started reading this book was that, like Matt, I was having a very bad day. Not as bad as Matt’s day of course; I mean, no one died, my partner didn’t decide to marry someone else, my cat didn’t choose someone over me,
Katalina
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written. The story flows in a suitable timeline, it isn't all crammed in like some books.
Marsha Spence
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This was very well done. To say Matt had a bad day would be a vast understatement. I was very glad he got his HEA with James; he deserved it!
Gaby Franz
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. it's wonderful.
Toni
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matt has been having a very bad day. His beloved cat leaves him for the next door neighbor. At work, his boss is being his usual stingy a** self. As he;s trying to work on an account, his phone rings. It;s the hospital in his home town telling him his father has passed. It;d been two years since he;d seen or spoken to his father and was hoping that eventually his dad would come around from finding out his son was gay. As he tells his boss he needs to go home because his father has passed, his ...more
John-Torleif  Harris
I'm generally not a huge fan of the second chances trope. Either the thing that broke a couple apart was too egregious to forgive, or it was too petty and just showed how unimportant the relationship was to one, or both, characters anyway. In this book, I thought that we fell more into the former situation. James' reaction to Matt's kiss may have been simply out of fear of being outed, but it resulted in real emotional trauma to Matt for what sounded like years. I thought that the forgiveness ...more
Patricia Hoffstaetter
This is the first time I have read a book by this author & I will admit that I really enjoyed reading this sweet MM romance & I look forward to future novels from her. I found the plot quite interesting with the various emotional upheavals. The characters have individual personalities with attributes of distrust or determination when faced with certain situations.
There is: a dejected, grief stricken man (Matt), his deceitful ex-boyfriend (Tom), his first crush & ex-best friend
Meeka
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well... first off let me say, I have never read a book like this before!!! I never really gravitated to M/M books!! So, this was definitely outside the box for me!!! But, I can try say a I really enjoyed this book!! I loved the storyline and it was written very well!! I was very intrigued on how the emotions would come across in this book! Especially for this type of genre!! I was pleasantly supprised how much It was relatable and it had lots of daily issues we still deal with today’s world!!! I ...more
C.B.
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you deal with Murphy's Law sitting on your shoulder? Matt is having the perfect storm of a bad day, hot water boiler breaks, cat abandones him for a neighbor, boyfriend, Tom leaving to marry a woman, and while at work at a job he hates, he's notified his dad dies. Then when he returns home, he encounters the man, James who broke his heart at 18. James dealing with his orientation and family/friends world perceptions and Matt is a strong theme for an author to make entertaining. Miss Lewis ...more
Kitt
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful, tragic, and eventually heart-warming story full of emotion, pain, and love. I was so sad that Matt never got to hear from his father how proud he was of him, but so glad that he shared his feelings with other people so that Matt found out after he was gone. It was very poignant to me. I enjoyed the second chance romance between Matt and James. It was a hard road to forgiveness, but well worth it. I loved the intimate, sexy times.

I received a free copy of this book via
Laurie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good mm book.
Shelves: reunion
*Spoilers* Loved this book. It was a back and forth struggle as two men who'd been best friends since grade school did stupid things, missed each other but left it hanging for 10 years until of all things a death brought them back together. They still did a few stupid things but they had a cheering squad that kept slapping them in the back of the head until finally they got it right.

Tanya
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His week is getting worse and worse. His cat prefers the neighbour. He hates his job and now his father has died. He goes home to sort it all out when he bumps into his ex. Can they have a second chance? See if they can

Pat
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great romantic story

I read this book and recommend it to anyone whether a member of the LBGTQ community or just a new couple thinking of a future together. There is a great lesson to be learned from this story of love, friendship, family values and acceptance. Matt and James both learned that you have to love and accept yourself before you can truly love someone else.
Jorg
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Livinia Lewis and I was not dissapointed.
I really liked the story and the two main characters.
I could really identify with them and that made me want to see how it ended.
Would like to read more of the author.

Urszula
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like out for you books. The one is really great. The issue James has is not accepting his sexuality it is people's reactions to it. It is difficult and courses lots of regret and angst. I love the characters and plot. Great reality. Enjoyable and we'll written. Definitely worth reading.

Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
When I started reading this story, I could not put it down. I read the book in one day.This author is an awesome writer. I can not wait to read more of their books. Keep up the great work. You should definitely read this book.
Keith
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely Emotional

The romance is hard lined with intense scenes of self doubt and insecurity in one MC or the other, and sometimes in both. Matt and James each have some growing up to do and fortunately both get there in the end.
Agnes Parlocha
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by booksprout. I am leaving this review freely. This book is a great read. It is a heart felt book to read. To know this happens in real life makes it all the more intense to read. This book made me feel raw inside and do hope you read and enjoy as much as I did.
Becky Ballenger
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written. I’m new to the author, but I will definitely read more!!! This book had everything a romance book should have, in my eyes!!!!!

I received a copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Sharon Sims
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story!!

Loved this book and am sorry it's
Done!! First read from Lavinia
Lewis and hopefully not the last!!
The characters were great!!
blub
A good book but a bit drawn out. There were moments where I though Matt should hold out until James really pulled out all the strings and wooed him. However the second alternative of proving he was a changed man was good too. (view spoiler)
melek
Matt is having an bad day his ex is marrying an women of all people; Now he gets a call saying his father past away. He comes to town to get funeral arraignment. He meets his ex and crush he kissed thought james felt that same. But now those memories come flooding back. Will matt give james an chance or has he lost it.
Danielle
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, mm
I would not be able to live in Matt or Jame's head for a day. I'd get too dizzy with all the circles their thoughts go in! I never knew you could over thing something to that extent.

This one was a cute fluffy book. Which isn't a bad thing when that's what you are in the mood for but I still would have like a little something to have happened in the plot.
Sue
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Lavinia Lewis's writing was light and quirky here; the main character Mat is really nice. I just want to hug him, multiple times throughout the book.
Definitely a WFF read that leaves you with a happy smile on your face.
~RMG
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tala
ilz
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was just a little boring, but in the same time it was fine

• Surprise Groom (Marital Bliss, #1)
  • Between Sinners and Saints
  • Chance to Bloom
  • Dog Days of Summer (Sunnydale Vets #1)
  • Square One (Under the Uniform #7)
  • Alpha Heat (Heat of Love #2)
  • Blank Canvas (Irons and Works, #2)
  • His, Truly
  • Winter’s Promise (Captured Heart #1)
  • Remember Me, Omega
  • Turbulence
  • Noble and Strong (A Bridge to Abingdon #5)
  • Finding Aaron (Finding Home #1)
  • Prince of Mine
  • Knot The Enemy (Howling Hills Heat, #4)
  • Among Heroes
  • Sol's Solstice (New Beginnings #1)
  • Omega's Crush (Carter's Crossing, #4)
Lavinia discovered reading at an early age and could always be found with her nose in a book. She loved getting lost in a fantasy world even then. When her parents bought her a typewriter for Christmas at aged eleven, her fate was sealed. She spent hours dreaming up characters and creating stories. Not a lot has changed.

Lavinia is a Welsh Valley girl who has lived all over the UK. Today she lives