Start by marking “100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures” as Want to Read:
100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
100 Ingenious techniques for designing and creating amazing fantasy figures Concept designer Francis Tsai presents an exciting range of imaginative figures, with clear guidance on how to draw and paint your own. Here you will discover how to research and render a successful character, create mood using costumes, props and backdrops, and use design strategy to communicate s ...more
Published September 18th 2008 by Impact

To ask other readers questions about 100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

Isis Sousa
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Artists and Fantasy Art Lovers
This is one of my fav books, exactly because it ISN'T a "how to" book. Rather you have tips, and wonderful artwork images painted and drawn by Francis himself.

You read each tip and you get inspired and imagine the possibiities you have if you apply them to your art.

Highly inspirational, not to mention it has a very cool layout/design!

A must for Fantasy Art Lovers and Artists!
Parka
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

First of all, let me say that this book brings back memories of me playing Magic The Gathering cards. A lot of the illustrations in the book are from Wizards of the Coast. Francis Tsai is a concept artist and you can find his work on teamgt.com.

This book is not really on art techniques, there are no step-by-step tutorials to follow along. It's one that gives ideas to think about when trying to come up with a character.

That being said, the writeup for the book is
Sparrowlicious
You might wonder "why only 3 stars?". I'll tell you the answer: Francis Tsai should've used his own advice and learn more about the human body. All his male characters are hulk-like in proportion when it comes to their upper and lower body. All his female characters look exactly the same, have bad poses (did this guy ever try standing the way he places his female characters? Probably not! He even has the gall to call a typical back stretching exercise (which you usually do when lying down) a 're ...more
Katy
A good book for someone starting out in fantasy character design I couldn't say that it's a great aid as it seems to be more advice in what could be done rather then what you should do. Which i liked, but it also feels like something is missing.

It covers everything such as anatomy, painting, colour and sketches only it breezes over everything not going into great depth. The sketches for me were the most interesting, some of the art was amazing but some were quite simply less then impressive. So
Brii Lovaas
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed

This is wonderful guide to assist with drawing fantasy because of how detailed it is and how many aspects of art are mentioned and discussed. I would highly recommend this book to both people who already draw fantasy and those interested in beginning fantasy illustrations.
Tina
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, 2010
Not a learning book, more of an advice book from an great artist. Some if it have helped me, mostly to take my drawing more seriously. And some tips to make it more easy. I felt my heart more set on a path of being an consept artist after I read this book.
It's a great source of inspiration to your fantasy drawings.
Adie Bishop
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

Helps with the dangers of Artists block. After all, when everything is possible in a world created by you, then variations in concept become essential.
F. P.