Start by marking “Crochet That Fits: Shaped Fashions Without Increases or Decreases” as Want to Read:
Crochet That Fits: Shaped Fashions Without Increases or Decreases

Crochet That Fits: Shaped Fashions Without Increases or Decreases

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Say "goodbye" to crochet's stiff, boxy, hippie-child reputation and "hello" to Crochet that Fits garments that fit your shape accessories that fit your style, and looks that fit right in with today's fashion trends! This book teaches an innovative, easy way to crochet fashions that are soft, shaped and drape able - from a little black dress that fits like a glove and a lac ...more
Published October 13th 2008 by Krause Publications (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crochet That Fits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crochet That Fits

Anna
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apl, 2014
Great photos, and a good guide for a beginner crocheter.
There's one pattern that's repeated - and can be repeated - in so many ways. Take a hook larger than recommended, and then do the rows of single (or double) crochet, using back loop only for the hook, and keep the direction of the garment worked up to down (instead of the usual left to right used in sweaters etc). This will create stretch, a lighter fabric, and a neat surface. When you add using two different sized hooks on the same row, yo
A book of uniquely fitted items that don't have any increases or decreases. All the fitting comes from what she calls "graduated stitching." Her design method takes advantage of the varying heights of different crochet stitches in order to cup the fabric to fit. It seems very simple and yet clever. Pick up this book to learn a new way of designing crochet clothing to fit.

The patterns themselves are mostly not my style, although I do like the little black dress featured on the cover (that's why I
Tonileg
Crochet that fits; shaped fashions without increases of decreases by Mary Jane Hall.

I really love the 'striped, sleeveless turtleneck sweater' which is a colorful high necked tank top in cool cotton and is simple enough for a total beginner crocheter. Gauge: 14sc and 11 sc rows on 3"/8cm and 16dc and 9 dc rows on 4"/10cm on 4mm crochet hook and you'll need 10 balls for 50g/92yds + 2balls of each other desired (at least 4 colors to make it look good).

128 pages filled with tons of crochet projects
Bliss
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to crochet beautiful and well-fitting garments
I absolutely love this book.

I've been crocheting off and on for over 30 years but I've never made one crocheted garment for myself.

One reason has been that I'm difficult to fit. Another reason is that I've been hard pressed to find patterns for items I felt would look good on my shape.

This book resolves both those issues for me.

It is also well-written with beautiful photographs (including the cover) and helpful diagrams.

This is the first crochet book I've purchased and I'm glad I did. It's a mus
Madeleine
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Variety of Projects

After excitedly thumbing through this book with the intention of finding a few patterns, I ultimately decided I would rather purchase the book for my crochet library. There isn't one pattern that I couldn't think of one or more people who would love receiving it. More to the point, I would love gifting each of the designs to friends and family and, naturally, myself. I especially love the long skirt and the lbd. Can't wait to get started. Thanks to Mary Jane Hall for the
Julia
This book is intended for experienced crocheters. Some of the designs are very nice. However, as much as I love crochet, I often think that in clothes it can never look as elegant as knitted items, so to me these are not fashion forward designs. Still, worth looking at if you want to make crocheted clothes that don't look boxy. (And there are definitely a few designs I'd try.)
Krista
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-find
This book probably warrents a higher rating, but since I have not tried any of the patterns, I feel I can't give it the 4 that it really deserves. Cute patterns, common-sense (but never seen before) method. Can't wait to try out a 3D project from here!
Terri Ann
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiber-arts
Looking forward to trying the patterns in this technique.
Monica
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
Want a crochet pattern that isn't hard to master? This is the book for you! I've been working on Christmas gifts from this book and I'm reluctant to return it to the library.
Debbie
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
I love this book. The patterns are simple and the results are gorgeous.
P
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are stylish and seem doable.
Charlene Hickman
Lisa
Sep 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
619647
Mary Jane Hall has been crocheting for thirty-eight years and has taught more than sixty people how to crochet. She specializes in crochet fashion design and is a Professional member of the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA). Mary Jane is passionate about crochet and loves designing trendy wearables. She designs full time and has had many of her original designs published in various books and magazin ...more
More about Mary Jane Hall...