Start by marking “How to Get Stupid White Men Out of Office: The Anti-Politics, Un-Boring Guide to Power” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Anyone can write a rant against the state of American democracy today. Anyone can talk trash about politicians, or bemoan the apathy of the electorate, the low turnout, the low attention span, the cynicism. How To Get Stupid White Men... is a guide to getting off one’s cynical ass and doing something about it. Over the past six months, William Upski Wimsatt has been workin ...more
Published March 17th 2004 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Stupid White Men Out of Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Stupid White Men Out of Office

William Upski
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is probably the most under-rated and useful book I've ever worked on. I hope more people read it -20 real life stories of young progressives winning and swinging elections. Complete with suspense and lessons learned.
NK
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome, I wish I would have read it sooner, but better late than never. I was perplexed at times to see some of the stories that people shared that I was like that can't be right, really here in the US that happened? Oh yes it did. It was so hopeful to see the barriers that certain people went through & how they managed to not only survive but come out on top. These stories that were shared were from all over the US & it shows how power to the people really does make a dif ...more
Jodi
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: liberals, political organizing
Recommended to Jodi by: Molly Ivins
An inspiring book about what young people (14-35) can do in terms of political organizing, when they get angry or passionate enough about a particular issue. I'm close to 50, and this has fired me up (even more than previously) to get involved in grass-roots organizing for all levels of elections. I'm also seriously considering running for our local school board within the next 5-7 years.
Fishface
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was, meh, okay. It includes a lot of student stories about organizing their college communities and so on to get more minority recognition. They were fine as far as they went, but didn't give me the sense that they were coming up with ideas that would apply to the outside world. They don't seem to be engaging in what we really need -- governmental change OUTSIDE of college campuses.
Mk
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book inspires the young, sexy, HipHop lovin, womyn of color embodying, transformative resisting, political progressive in me. Reading this book makes me feel like I have power to create social change through the realm of electoral politics-- Booya!
Lisa Bonack
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was published in 2004 with the intent of voting Dubya out of office. I decided it was worth buying now in an effort to keep Trump to one term. They aren't saying all white men are stupid, nor are they saying that all stupid white men are white...or men. They're merely saying that things need to change to reflect the times. They do this by educating and motivating young people (many of color) and other marginalized groups to volunteer and, most importantly, to get out there and vote. It ...more
lynna
Mar 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
if you want a more progressive country... read this book.
Michelle
Beckah
Feb 16, 2011
Lisa Gallegos
May 25, 2007
adrienne maree brown is author of Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds and the co-editor of Octavia’s Brood: Science Fiction from Social Justice Movements. She is a writer, social justice facilitator, pleasure activist, healer and doula living in Detroit.