Start by marking “Hinds' Feet on High Places” as Want to Read:
Hinds' Feet on High Places

Hinds' Feet on High Places

(High Places #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  43,348 ratings  ·  1,192 reviews
Hinds' Feet on High Places is one of Hannah Hurnard's best known and best loved books. It is a beautiful allegory dramatizing the yearning of God's children to be led to new heights of love, joy, and victory. Follow Much-Afraid on her spiritual journey through difficult places with her two companions, Sorrow and Suffering. Learn how Much-Afraid overcomes her tormenting ...more
Published October 1st 1985 by Barbour Publishing (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Hinds' Feet on High Places, please sign up.
Kathy Hutcherson I would love to know this information as well. Mary have you found it yet and if so how can I access it? If not I will try to research it as well.…moreI would love to know this information as well. Mary have you found it yet and if so how can I access it? If not I will try to research it as well. Thank you so much love this book. This will be my third time reading it.(less)
Darlene Pillitteri i have read this book twice besides peaces of it here and there as i thought about it. i could talk about this book with you if you like. The lessons…morei have read this book twice besides peaces of it here and there as i thought about it. i could talk about this book with you if you like. The lessons much afraid learned were really good for me when i first got saved 35 years ago and i can still learn things from it today. For instance i have felt self-pity sometimes since i had a stroke in 2016 and a few other things since, I still use and need a walker and i want to be healed yesterday (patience is another lesson i still need work on). (less)

·  43,348 ratings  ·  1,192 reviews

Start your review of Hinds' Feet on High Places
Shannon
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost exactly one year ago, a friend read an excerpt of this book to a group of women. In the portion she read, Much-Afraid (the main character) is promised a new name by The Shepherd. I asked what name she was given, but my friend merely smiled and told me I should read the book myself. From that point on, the book has been in my mental queue, but the time was never right. Then last month, someone mentioned the book, heard I hadn't read it and loaned it to me on the spot. There's something to ...more
Alice
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Clubs, Scripture Study Groups, anyone seeking closeness with God
Recommended to Alice by: my mother
When I first started reading this book I thought it would be too simplistic. Even the names of the characters, like Much Afraid and her companions Sorrow and Suffering, seemed to scream spoon fed spirituality.

As it turned out, I only had 10 minute chunks to read this book in and it allowed me to time to really chew on the story and how I could relate my own life and experiences to it. It turned out to be a beautiful meditation of God's love for us and our journey to our own high places.

This
Leila
This book is for me a beautifully written allegory that touched me deeply and made me think.
LadyCalico
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this book until I was on old lady and I saw my own story written in every detail in every page, finding understanding of why God expected me to travel such hard roads during my life as a slow learner. A must-read for every Christian woman, maybe men, too, especially those (like me) whose lives have been compressed, narrowed, and limited by their fears and worries, for those who value security over growth. To paraphrase Beth Moore, we will never find our way to our Promised Land ...more
Allison Tebo
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, favorites
One of those childhood books that will forever leave a hand print upon my life. I read this book so many times when I was small, staring at the illustrations, mulling over its words, meditating on their meaning. Ever since I was small, I was quick to recognize analogies and entranced by Biblical allegories. Before Narnia, there was this book, sinking it’s spiritual truths into my heart. The story we have all lived from the beginning of time, until the end of time – the personal journey of a ...more
Patrick Saville
In my opinion, Hinds Feet on High Places is much better than Pilgrim's Progress. (GASPS!) Oh, yes! This book is much better. While Pilgrim's Progress focuses on the Christian journey as a whole, this book focuses more on the transformation of self from sinner to saint. The part that I really connected with (more so than the rest of this awesome book) was how Much Afraid held the hands of two black cloaked figures: Sorrow and Suffering. At first, their hands stung and she wanted to scream and get ...more
Angelica
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every girl needs to read this book! And then, every woman needs to read this book! We can all relate to Much Afraid's journey, and we can all be blessed, encouraged, and challenged through it. And who doesn't need to know that The Shepherd is good and loves us and knows what we need?!? Seriously, it's a must read!

Kells Next Read
Make haste, Beloved, be thou like an hart On mountains spicy sweet; And I, on those High Places where thou art, Will follow on hinds’ feet; As close behind the hart, there leaps the roe, So where thou goest, I will surely go.
This book is so good....there just aren't words.
I hope not to let so many years go by before I reread it again.
Abigail
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was simply providence that inspired this book. It does not cease to be exact. The author knew just what she wanted to portray. She was able to use the tools she acquired to delightfully array a series of unforgettable, eloquent sentences in an artistic, yet factual manner. The dialect is profound, refined and very beautiful, though in certain areas it can be slightly wordy.

The story itself illustrates the beauty of obedience, and the importance of life choices that are produced from the
Kathryn
When I hear the phrase "Contemporary Christian Fiction," I snort inwardly, blanch, and avoid eye contact. Why? Because Christians publish books like this.
Much-Afraid's pedantic journey to the kingdom of Love was too much for me to endure. After sixty pages of sugary spirituality and stilted attempts at eloquence, I dropped it, feeling victimized and somewhat embarrassed by the religious glurge that had violated my brain. I would blame my extreme distaste for this book on its allegorical nature,
Megan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a tricky one to judge.
The overall writing style is very odd...childish almost, in a very prosaic way, and the book is liberally sprinkled with poetry. For literary merit alone, I wouldn't give this book any awards.
The thing that I really did love in parts was the allegory. Some of the metaphoric lessons and concepts were really quite powerful.
As a whole, flowing story, though, there was very little to bring everything together. It's often hard to identify what exactly is taking
Faith
This is a lovely story in allegorical form of a young woman being brought close to the Saviour. He walks with her and talks with her, and teaches her many things.....
Brent
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Shantelle
I found this, for the most part, to be a thought-provoking & inspiring little Christian allegory!

Not everything came across greatly for me, but I feel I gleaned some wisdom. :)

More thoughts to come!
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
One of the most meaningful and gorgeous books I've ever read. It totally changed my life and my perspective on the things I've been through.
Roxanneandvince Weber
I know everyone is supposed to love this book, but I found it annoying. Don't tell anyone.
Brian Whited
I read this book at my wife's request, who loved it. It is in the genre of Pilgrim's Progress, an allegory of a pilgrim who must journey through the dangers and trials of the Christian life. The biggest difference is that the main character is a female, which gives the book a decidedly different feel. There are many beautiful and convicting parts in the book, although I probably don't identify with the author, as much as a woman might.

With that said, my favorite moment of the book was in Ch 4,
anca dc
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is not a bla-bla-book although it is a story but the genuine profound experience the author lived all her life and also while she was visiting Switzerland for a 10-days-holiday. Behind the main character with all her failures, fears and physical defects lies the author herself. The beautiful landscapes through which Much-Afraid is going on her journey and the message that they carry were the same thing Hannah Hurnard was taught by her Shepard seeing the beautiful landscape of Switzerland.
Jrad
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for strength in trials
This book is a profound little book. Hannah Hurnard writes a very provocative account of little "Much Afraid" and her journey to join the Shepherd in the High Places. This book unashamedly deals with the doubts we face in our Christian walk. When it seems that we are being led in the wrong direction, in the end we have taken the right journey and been made stronger for it. Without the suffering and trials we face, we cannot learn to enjoy the pleasure and beauty of the High Places.
Kelsey Gould
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After completing this book for the third time in about 4 years, these are my conclusions:

Is it a little cheesy? Likely. Is the author a Biblical scholar? Unlikely. But for whatever reason, this book is 3/3 on lifting my spirits out of the depths. It is simple and beautiful and trains my heart to endure when circumstances are difficult or confusing. This one is a keeper.
Brielle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allegories are not always my favorite, but I found this one was timely and poignant. Little Much-Afraid traveling through wilderness, mist, valleys of loss, and mountains while following the Shepherd to the High Places in search of a new Name—much food for reflection. Reading the author’s afterword and brief autobiography made me appreciate the storyteller and her story even more.

“Oh, what a life of wonderful joy, adventure, and ever-deepening love the Good Shepherd leads us all to! As we follow
Kailey Kissinger

This book reminded me of the creativity, whimsy, and beauty of our King!! So beautiful & relatable. I recommend this book to all followers of the Shepherd who need encouragement of the adoration and purpose Jesus feels for you!
Tiff Miller
The three stars fit exactly what I felt when reading this book. I simply liked it. It was like comfort food, frankly. Warm, savory, and simple. While there are a lot of great truths in this classic allegorical tale, they are cloaked in a simple story told with eloquent language. While many people abhor allegory, I like it. It paints a powerful visual in my mind that I will forever associate with the truths it illustrates, and I appreciate the imagery and story.

My favorite chapter takes place
Ian
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many allegories but this was such a delight and I can understand why so many people read it multiple times. The story of Much-Afraid and her journey of falling increasingly in love with God as she climbs the mountain is tremendously uplifting and inspirational. Here she is, the fearful Much-Afraid, learning to trust her Shepherd as He transforms her. What is interesting is the significance of encounters with her Shepherd. It is only through the deepening relationship realised by ...more
Kathleen Grace
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a few places I might have some minor theological quibbles (especially in her telling of how the book came to be - it's hard to tell whether it's writerly language/poetic license, or her actually looking for "messages from God" in the flowers/mountains/etc.).

However, I see why this book has become so well-loved. It's comforting, challenging, and encouraging. It doesn't quite make five stars on my list, but I have a feeling I'll be re-reading this one in the future.
Emily Housworth
"She had the feeling that somehow, in the very far-off places, perhaps even in the far-off ages, there would be a meaning found to all sorrow and an answer too fair and wonderful to be as yet understood."

I liked a lot of things about this book, though it did seem to be about 50 pages too long. I appreciated the prose and the author's vivid descriptions. I also thought it was very poignant that the helpers the Shepherd chooses to assist Much Afraid to the High Places are Sorrow and Suffering.

Celia
A touching allegory about faith.

Much-Afraid is a young girl who lives in a very dysfunctional town. Everyone there is an enemy. She has a twisted foot and she is not very good-looking. Then she meets the Shepherd who promises her the feet of a hind (female red deer) and a place with him in the High Places.

But first a journey must take place. It is arduous but she is accompanied by Sorrow and Sadness. Sorrow and Sadness are NOT enemies. The lesson here is that we must endure them to grow.

Along
Esther Louw
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An allegorical account of Much-Afraid and her journey of character transformation. At the beginning of the story, Much-Afraid is haunted by Craven-Fear and Pride. But as she follows the Shepherd and the path he has ordained for her, she learns to appreciate His will for her life through acceptance and surrender. She learns that the things she is terrified of are not a barrier to perfect love who is able to cast out all her fears.
A new musical based on this book 3 37 Jun 25, 2014 05:42AM

• Tramp for the Lord
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • God's Smuggler
  • Joni: An Unforgettable Story
  • Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
  • Run Baby Run
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • Streams in the Desert, KJV
Hanna Hurnard was a twentieth century Christian author, best known for her allegory Hinds' Feet on High Places.
Hurnard was born in 1905 in Colchester, England to Quaker parents. She graduated from Ridgelands Bible College of Great Britain in 1926. In 1932 she became an independent missionary, moving to Haifa, Israel. Her work in Israel lasted 50 years, although she would later maintain a home in

High Places (2 books)
  • Mountains of Spices
“She bent forward to look, then gave a startled little cry and drew back. There was indeed a seed lying in the palm of his hand, but it was shaped exactly like a long, sharply-pointed thorn… ‘The seed looks very sharp,’ she said shrinkingly. ’Won’t it hurt if you put it into my heart?’

He answered gently, ‘It is so sharp that it slips in very quickly. But, Much-Afraid, I have already warned you that Love and Pain go together, for a time at least. If you would know Love, you must know pain too.’

Much-Afraid looked at the thorn and shrank from it. Then she looked at the Shepherd’s face and repeated his words to herself. ’When the seed of Love in your heart is ready to bloom, you will be loved in return,’ and a strange new courage entered her. She suddenly stepped forward, bared her heart, and said, ‘Please plant the seed here in my heart.’

His face lit up with a glad smile and he said with a note of joy in his voice, ‘Now you will be able to go with me to the High Places and be a citizen in the Kingdom of my Father.’

Then he pressed the thorn into her heart. It was true, just as he had said, it did cause a piercing pain, but it slipped in quickly and then, suddenly, a sweetness she had never felt or imagined before tingled through her. It was bittersweet, but the sweetness was the stronger. She thought of the Shepherd’s words, ‘It is so happy to love,’ and her pale, sallow cheeks suddenly glowed pink and her eyes shown. For a moment Much-Afraid did not look afraid at all.”
73 likes
“When you wear the weed of impatience in your heart instead of the flower Acceptance-with-Joy, you will always find your enemies get an advantage over you.” 57 likes