Start by marking “Closure” as Want to Read:
Closure

Closure

Helen West is coming to terms with her husband's death and trying to cope with her six-year-old son's grief. Jake suffers from nightmares, and visions of what he calls his 'other life'. He talks about a boy called Jacob and a place known only as 'the island'. Helen's journey to find the source of Jake's torment leads them to North Wales, where the university town of Bangor ...more
Published December 1st 2012 by G E Hamer

To ask other readers questions about Closure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closure

Start your review of Closure
Julie
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an unusual story. You follow two storylines that seem so far apart to begin with and like all good tales of two themes, you get so immersed in the current one, you get a pleasant surprise when in the next chapter you get pulled back to the original characters and plot. Each time you swap from one to other, you get that ‘Oh yes! Now then…what happens next’ feeling.
As I said the two stories seem so far removed from each other initially, you know there is sure to be a link but can’t imagine
Liza Perrat
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gillian Hamer’s second novel, Closure, encompasses the same blend of murder mystery and otherworldly suspense as her first novel, The Charter.
As in The Charter, the author transports the reader to the rugged and stunning Welsh coast, in Closure, narrating two seemingly unrelated stories. The first features widow Helen West and the obstacles she faces in seeking treatment for her six-year-old son, Jake’s frightening nightmares. The second involves the police hunt for a serial kidnapper and
Anne
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
When you love a book as much as I loved The Charter by Gillian Hamer, you always approach the next book with trepidation. I needn’t have worried – her latest, Closure, is even better. It begins as two separate story threads – a serial killer targeting students at Bangor University, and the work of North Wales CID to track him down, and the seemingly disconnected story of Jake, a child experiencing horrifying dreams triggered by a past life. The stories converge as the pursuit of the killer heats ...more
JJ Marsh
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She's done it again! There is something irresistible about the blend of the gritty crime theme of misguided justice combined with the scary elements of the inexplicable all set against the ambient backdrop of Celtic islands.
The reader is really put through the wringer as we get short peeks inside the serial killer's mind - a terrifying place to be. The other mind which grips us is that of a child, Jake. But with confidence and skill, the writer never lets us inside Jake's head. Instead, we are
Sheila Bugler
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by this talented author. Like her first novel, The Charter, Gillian returns to the familiar territory of the rugged Anglesea coast.
This is a darker tale than The Charter and, in many ways, a more complex one as well. We have two separate but intertwining stories. The first features Helen West and her six year-old son, Jake, who is suffering from terrible nightmares. But are they more than that? And how can the be linked to the series of killings in and around
Chris Curran
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the blend of murder mystery and paranormal suspense in Gillian Hamer’s first book, The Charter, and there’s more of the same in Closure. Amidst the beautiful scenery of the Welsh coast, police hunt a serial kidnapper and murderer and for DS Gareth Parry the investigation is personal: the first victim is his cousin, Edwina. Indeed it’s one of the many strengths of the book that the kidnapped young women are all distinctive individuals, rather than faceless victims.

In parallel to the
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month by: Gillian Hamer
Review of Closure by Gillian Hamer
[publication date Dec. 1 2012]
5 stars

If you loved “The Charter,” you’ll really love this novel. If you haven’t read “The Charter,” read both. Author Gillian Hamer has a way of interweaving historical narrative with contemporary events and characters in a way that is enlightening, educational, inventive, and very entertaining. “Closure” is what several characters in this novel really need, that psychological “closing a door” or “boxing away” trauma, grief,
Caren ~ the misfit geek
This is a fast paced, edge of your seat thrill ride. It grabbed my attention from the start and didn’t let go at any point. I didn’t want to put it down and was genuinely ticked off when I was forced to put it down.

This is such a well crafted book. It is a great mix of crime thriller with a dash of paranormal thrown in. The dual plot is handled expertly. There are plenty of unexpected twists and turns along the way to keep the reader completely engaged in the story. The ultimate collision of the
Sylvia Hunter
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book having read that it is partly set at the Universty of Bangor, North Wales,where I was once a student.
I'm very glad I did.
This is a skillful combination of a detective story and the paranormal.The author creates suspense by alternating the chapters between the kidnaps and murders in North Wales with the tale of the little boy who is disturbed by flashbacks to a previous life. Each is engrossing in itself and at first you wonder how the two can possibly be connected.Little by
Shani Struthers
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Gillian Hamer book I have read and it won't be the last - it skilfully blends a murder mystery with the paranormal, weaving two separate strands together to a thrilling conclusion. Scenes are described vividly - so easily I could imagine Nia's terror at where she found herself (and admired her feisty attitude!). Regarding the story of Jake/Jacob, that was fascinating, and Gillian has clearly done her research into the subject of reincarnation. All in all a riveting read, which ...more
Jami
This is the second in a trilogy but it is fine as a stand alone. You don't need to read the first one before you listen to this. I liked the mystery and was surprised at the twist at the end. The characters were likeable and engaging and the narration was excellent. I am looking forward to the next one!! (Disclosure: I received this free from the narrator)
Veronica
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good solid thriller, with an interesting storyline. Really enjoyed it.
Debbie Crouch
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the Newborough connection

As I originate from Anglesey I enjoy how the books mix fiction with the area. Lived the connection to Newborough and regression too.
Cathy Ryan
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Two seemingly unconnected and totally different storylines play out, one involving Helen West and her son, Jake, a young boy who has distressing night terrors. Helen’s GP is convinced Jake’s nightmares relate to the loss of his father but Helen is equally as sure they have nothing to do with her husband’s death. Her doctor sends her to a leading child psychiatrist whose pompous attitude and treatment of Jake she disliked intensely.

The second story thread involves an investigation by DS
Jo Barton
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is an undeniable confidence in Gillian Hamer’s writing and even as the opening chapter of Closure gets underway there is a definite sense that this story is darker and dirtier than her previous book, The Charter. As always the rugged beauty of the North Wales coastline forms a stunning backdrop to a story of murder, mystery and the uncovering of long buried secrets.

In Closure, a serial killer is striking at the very heart of the university town of Bangor in North Wales, where young women
Ali Bacon
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed an e-book copy of this book provided to me by the author in return for my provision of this fair and honest review.

This is a murder mystery set on Anglesey. It involves two North Wales detectives, a serial killer and a six-year-old child whose mother suspects is reliving memories of a previous life. Initially I found the whole child re-incarnation aspect difficult and felt I needed to see more of a struggle in the mother as she came to terms with it, but once the two plotlines started
Mary
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mother Knows Best

A six year old boy, Jake, is a reincarnation of an eleven year old boy, Jacob, who helps solve the murders of young women in North Wales.

Professionals diagnosed Jake’s nightmares as the grieving process for losing his father. His mother, Helen, knew this was not the case. She felt strongly there was a deeper reason for Jake’s suffering. She was correct.

Jacob channels through Jake to help save the last woman kidnapped. Helen decides to trust the suggestion of a friend’s friend
Catriona Troth
The second in a series of paranormal crime novels from my Triskele stablemate, Gillian E Hamer, set on the island of Anglesey.

Until 1826, the only way to make the treacherous crossing from mainland Wales to the island of Anglesey was by ferry. Here Hamer connects the historical and modern day elements of her story via a psychic link between a small boy and the son of one of those ferrymen who plied their way over the Menai Straits.

That a series of savage murders is being carried out on the
Jeanne Adamek
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This story was interesting enough that I really wanted to finish it, and I am really sure that many people will really love it--but I didn't. I really hated the main characters--actually all of the characters except for Jake, who I didn't feel was drawn out well enough.

I would have given this mystery story just 2 stars (because of the intense dislike for the characters) but I realized that I REALLY wanted to finish the story to see how it ends.
Thorne Moore
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Closure offers a double helping – a thriller about a serial killer, targeting young women in North Wales, and a paranormal mystery with a young boy who appears to be the reincarnation of a boy who drowned in the 19th century. The two stories mesh together skilfully, and there are some great characters, including a victim of the killer who, very satisfyingly, refuses to be a victim. Best of all is the setting, which has me itching to go to Anglesey and explore Llanddwyn island.
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Closure is the second book I have read by Gillian Hamer. She's an amazing writer who I highly recommend. This book had everything - history, beautiful scenery, mysticism and two strong storylines that crossed beautifully. I loved everything about it! The characters were well thought out and all contributed to the plot. Highly recommended.
C.P. Lesley
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Missing young women turning up murdered. A serial killer. A six-year-old boy reliving a previous existence along the coast of North Wales, experiencing nightmares in which he shouts words in a language he has never learned. Gillian Hamer weaves this disparate threads together into a riveting mystery, set in the present but with roots—and a solution—buried deep in the past.
Kate
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gillian's second book doesn't disappoint. If you enjoy crime thrillers then this is the book for you. I don't want to say any more because I don't want to give anything away - you're just going to have to read it for yourselves!
Mich
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was in a reading funk and this one pulled me right out! So much so I bought the other two she had written a bit of paranormal and a lot of intrigue. YEA!
Ann James
Making Connections: FREE this weekend, Closure 4 12 Mar 10, 2013 10:26AM
UK Book Club: Thriller FREE this weekend 3 16 Mar 09, 2013 07:55AM
THE JAMES MASON C...: My Christmas Gift to You 1 2 Dec 17, 2012 03:40PM

• The Neon Lawyer
  • Due Process (Joe Dillard, #9)
  • Elderhood: Redefining Aging, Transforming Medicine, Reimagining Life
  • The Sins of the Mother (Miller & Stevens Book 1)
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • A Crime of Passion (Joe Dillard, #7)
  • Justice Burning (Darren Street #2)
  • The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #2)
  • Judgment Cometh: And That Right Soon (Joe Dillard, #8)
  • The Beautiful Bureaucrat
  • Public Library and Other Stories
  • A Ruthless Need
  • Justice Lost (Darren Street #3)
  • The Second Chance Supper Club
  • Der Tote im Strandkorb (Die Inselkommissarin 1)
Crime and thriller writer, founder member of author's collective Triskele Books, and regular contributor to Words with Jam Magazine.

For blog updates see -http://triskelebooks.blogspot.co.uk/