Start by marking “Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship” as Want to Read:
Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Covers those dimensions of Islamic rituals of worship prayer, almsgiving, fasting, Pilgrimage, etc. which are essential to the fulfilment of inner quality. Consists of selections from al-Ghazali's "Ihya," a pivotal work in the history of Islamic thought."
Published June 29th 2012 by Islamic Foundation (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship

Safa Fatima
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Published in 1983, Inner Dimensions of Islamic Worship is an English translation of selections from Imam al-Ghazali's Ihya' 'Ulum ud Din by Muhtar Holland, a convert.

This book is a very short but powerful and inspiring exploration of the rites of Islamic Worship — Prayer, Fasting, Almsgiving, Pilgrimage, Night Vigil, Invoking blessing upon Allah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم and the merit of seeking forgiveness.

It is supported by numerous references from the Holy Quran and Ahadith which w
Aimee Terrell
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I was reading a translation of this novel, I feel I have to divide the review into two parts: ideas and translation.

Ideas
Ideologically, I very much enjoyed this book. Ghazali focuses first on each action's merit (using the Qur'an and hadith as evidence) then goes into what/how our inner selves should think/feel/gain from each actions. In most instances, however, he does not say how to achieve these inner states; the how is left to the reader. Still, just being conscious of the purpose of
Christa
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book especially the chapters on ritual prayer, fasting and forgiveness. Only downside is I had to look up so many words but that may increase my vocabulary God willing. I'll definitely be looking out for the other books in the series inshallah
Raja
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand the inner meaning of the five pillars of Islam. A must read for every muslim, its very short but to the point and it will leave an instinct impact on you.
samia
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
ghazali goes into details about the five pillars in islam and much much more. the book is very enlightening, esp the chapter on hajj. it compares every aspect of the hajj we perform in this world to our inevitable meeting with the Lord in the next. makes you think about things differently!
Ayaz Khalid
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb book.

Unpacking the obligatory rituals Muslims are required to do to unveil deeper meanings.
Rima Rashid
Inner Dimensions Of Islamic Worship by Al-Ghazali is slightly exciting to own by the renowned intellectual explaining the fundamentals of Islam.
Rizal Khaefi
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imam Ghazali, the Hujjat al-islam (Proof of Islam), explains spiritual, social, and moral benefits of Islamic five pillars, which are shahada, prayer, alms giving, fasting, and pilgrimage. Muslim reader can realize and view the five pillars not only as the mandatory and routine duty but also as tools to improve our life.

Razi Shaikh
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a pleasure to read Imam Al-Ghazali. This, along with the Beginning of Guidance, are both necessary and rewarding reads for the faithful.
Muhammad Imran
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Book! presenting the true dimensions of Islamic rituals such as worship, Prayer, Almsgiving, Fasting, Pilgrimage, etc. This is an excellent read to know about the real essence of the worship - a concept beyond the physical commitment to worship or prayer, and essential to the fulfilment of inner quality of heart.
Ummu
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: salikin
I was read this book in Indonesia vers. When the first time i know about sufism...after that..i love to read Al Ghazali books.

If u want to be 'salikin' u should read this and find the spiritual teacher ,who will be show u the way to know more inside ur self
Iqra
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A great work from Imam Ghazali highlighting both the esoteric and the exoteric principles of practices in Islamic worship. A must read for all students of knowledge.
Taufil Omar
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top choice!
Umar
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great stuff. didn't read zakat and hajj yet though. similar to his bidaya hidaya but more attention on the spirituality...less manual, but more evaluative.
Marija
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
'Tis good to be good'
Dalia
Apr 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants a deeper look at Islamic worship (quick read)
This is a quick read that gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation for the five pillars. I revisit this book a lot when I need a spiritual boost! I highly recommend it! :)
Rapha Gabriel Benjamin
a classic must read on Islam and its culture...
Ameen
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Al-Maqasid: Nawawi's Manual of Islam
  • Instruction of the Student: The Method of Learning
  • The Kashf Al-Mahjub (the Revelation of the Veiled): An Early Persian Treatise on Sufism
  • Understanding the Four Madhhabs
  • The Secret of Secrets
  • البردة
  • The Vision of Islam
  • التنوير في إسقاط التدبير
أبو حامد محمد الغزّالي الطوسي النيسابوري الصوفي الشافعي الأشعري، أحد أعلام عصره وأحد أشهر علماء المسلمين في القرن الخامس الهجري،(450 هـ - 505 هـ / 1058م - 1111م). كان فقيهاً وأصولياً وفيلسوفاً، وكان صوفيّ الطريقةِ، شافعيّ الفقهِ إذ لم يكن للشافعية في آخر عصره مثلَه.، وكان على مذهب الأشاعرة في العقيدة، وقد عُرف كأحد مؤسسي المدرسة الأشعرية في علم الكلام، وأحد أصولها الثلاثة بعد أبي الحسن الأشعري، (و ...more
More about Abu Hamid al-Ghazali
“According to Ibn ‘Abbās, may God be pleased with him and his father, the Prophet David, God bless him and give him peace, used to say in his intimate Prayers: ‘My God, who inhabits Your House? And from whom do you accept the Prayer?’ Then God told him by inspiration: ‘David, he who inhabits My House, and he whose Prayer I accept, is none but he who is humble before My Majesty, spends his days in remembrance of Me and keeps his passions in check for My sake, giving food to the hungry and shelter to the stranger and treating the afflicted with compassion. His light shines in the sky like the sun. If he invokes Me, I am at his service. If he asks of Me, I grant his request. In the midst of ignorance, I give him discernment; in heedlessness, remembrance, in darkness, light. He stands out among ordinary people as Paradise towers over earthly gardens, its rivers inexhaustible and its fruits not subject to decay.” 5 likes
“Worship in Islam is not only observance of the prescribed worship rites – Prayer, Almsgiving, Fasting, Pilgrimage – but living one’s entire life in obedience to God, doing His will and seeking His pleasure, exactly in the way He has laid down.” 2 likes