Start by marking “Runes” as Want to Read:
Runes

Runes

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In Orkney, Shetland and the Scottish Islands, in Ireland, the Isle of Man and above all in Scandinavia, travelers still come upon great memorial stones, inscribed with the curious angular alphabet called runes. This is the story of these inscriptions from the earliest Continental carvings of the late second century A.D. through to the Viking age.
Published May 5th 1987 by British Museum Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Runes, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Beau Johnston
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I bought this book because I wanted to know a little more about the evolution of the alphabet as we know it today.

The book might be a little on the thin side, but that ensures I pick it up on a semi-regular basis and flip through its pages.

In many ways, the Futhark alphabet makes more sense than the Latin based alphabet we use (they didn't have the letter "C", it serves no purpose. They did have the letter "ch", as well as a few other combined letters).

If the history of runes is of interest to y
Alexandra Chauran
This was a very short book. Pretty dry, but the author has some humor that pops up every now and again. He's openly disdainful towards modern rune divination and magic, but if you read this book you'll find some ancient inspiration for magical techniques you can use today. I found the evidence and historical guidance through language changes and script use very helpful for understanding how the different runic letter rows came to be. This and Complete Illustrated Guide - Runes: How to Interpret ...more
Katie Daniels
If you want to study runes, this is the book for you. It gives a history of the various futharks, changes in the lettering system over time, example inscriptions and translations, and a regional overview of where runes are found and what they might have been used for.
Kim
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very nice scholarly work on the old alphabets and extant pieces. I liked how he straight up says we have no idea what some of these mean.
Mrs. Bunny
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Very fast read, not very in depth but it gives you a solid overview on various topics related to runes. The author had an amusing sense of humor as well, which helped.
SA
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A good, brief introduction to runic inscriptions across Northern Europe and the Futhark alphabets. Great starting point.
Kevin K. Gillette
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
This is one of six volumes collectively entitled "Reading The Past." It was my first introduction to runes, long before the Internet and Wikipedia.
Maya
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rituals
Please read my review at Celtic Scholar's Reviews and Opinions
Nico
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Very dry, very tiny print made for very dull reading. I gave up rather quickly.
A
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, occult
Excellent historical, linguistic, and archeological overview. Super boring.
Julie Hagan
Jan 08, 2009
Klaudia Karpinska
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Someone add cover image to rune book? 3 8 Jun 13, 2015 12:59PM