Start by marking “India 2020: A Vision For The New Millennium” as Want to Read:
India 2020: A Vision For The New Millennium

India 2020: A Vision For The New Millennium

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,579 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium, Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, our most distinguished scientist, and close associate Y.S. Rajan examine India's strengths—and weaknesses—to offer a vision of how India can be among the world's first five economic powers in the year 2020. They cite growth rates and develoent trends to show that the goal is not an unrealistic one. Past ...more
Published 1998 by New York: Viking

Riku Sayuj
Vision Document #14568934

This reads too much like a bureaucratic/corporate vision document.

It goes through the routine: of the necessity for developing core competencies, technology vision, comparing with a few competitors, and so on.

However, a quick summary:

The vision is to convert India into a ‘developed nation’ by 2020, this being defined as an India that will be one of the five biggest economic powers, self–reliant in energy and food security.

To this end, we are told that the primary focus
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Its a good book. It gives a vision for India to develop by 2020.
Infini
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it

This book was strongly urged upon me by the bookshop owner, normally averse to dense political writing, especially Indian, I was persuaded that this was a succinct overview of India's plans for a "bright" future. When I opened it, I discovered some surprising truths about India today.

India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam - Unique amongst global heads of state, The President of India, Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, is one of India's most distinguished scient
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Reading the book by the former President of India, Scientist par excellence, visionary always make me feel good about the way book developed. Reading his passion for the development of the country and immense faith towards the capabilities and resources of country, makes one optimist while reading the book.
Maneswar Patil
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Touches every field. Paves the path for the future India. It's sad to note that we have lost lot of time. At least 20 years. Still we should take steps now to cover up for the lost time.
Nanda Rajanala
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book to read by India's true Bharat Ratna Dr. Abdul Kalam. While written a decade earlier and the messages in his book has been still unrealized even as India is getting closer to 2020, it reflects the passion of a beautiful mind. Dr. Kalam is straightforward and candid in calling out the economic warfare happening around the world and the length to which developed nations go to protect their own success. This aside, Dr. Kalam and Y.S. Rajan break down the tool sets required for Indi ...more
Akshay
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As India stands at a crossroads with an exciting election, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam's "India 2020" is a very inspiring and thought-provoking book. The book envisions India to attain the status of a developed nation by 2020. The writers envision an India where the national economy of the country is one of the largest in the world; there is upliftment in the general living standards of the common man well above the poverty line including high standards of education, health and above all, national se ...more
Toshali Gupta
"Success has many parents"- APJ Abdul Kalam. The book contains details for a person looking for new technological ideas and doing a research on where to put his time, money and effort into. Gives details about every industry ,where we lack , where we could do better and what does India need in that particular industry.
Written in 1998, it envisions a future we should aim at in 2020. I read it in 2014 and am still wondering are we on the right track to the goal we aimed at many years back?
A little
Padam Kundu
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book makes for a lucid, readable version of the lengthy TIFAC Vision 2020 documents. The attempt is laudable for the fact that it addresses every citizen and even foreign nationals who are residents of this country. It's a book that must be read by every individual who aspires, while lacks the understanding of how, to contribute to the country to make it a developed nation. Youth, even in 2016, will be inspired by the vision, parts of which have been realised today but much remains to become ...more
Santoshkrishna Venuturupalli
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A definite must for any politician or Administrator who wants to do "something" for the greater good of India .. It's a strategic step by step guide to what is needed by India and how we can get it, It tell us our strengths ) which are many) and reminds us of our inherent weakness ( again many, but not insurmountable!) .

Dr. Kalam has beautifully sensationally and point wise shown how we can achieve our goal of 2020 Developed India , only if this were used and read and utilized !
Gopal Krishan
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Must read for all those who want India to be among the world's developed nations.
Strengths n weaknesses have been examined,if there is will it can be achieved.
Technology,skills r available only efforts r required from all fronts.
Pradeep Thakur
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The great research work done during the tenure of his President-ship of India. This is Just the short version...the original version published by The Planning Commission of India-- is really the SWOT analysis of India.

Anupriya Sinha
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is co-authored by the People's President, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The book clearly defined the vision that he had for India as a developed country and not as a developing country. The book sometimes turn into more of a documentary and statistics which could have been omitted.
Ajit Kumar
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic piece of work......
Vipul Patel
i like this book
Neeraj Bansal
gud book
Akash Prasad
May 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: akash
this is book read it.....
Amar Kulkarni
A good read, although a lot of it is conceptual, the writing puts it forth as an executable plan. I would recommend it if you are looking at fresher perspectives of the near future of India.
Kris Wijoyo
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
"Indian people can rise well...because of their own improved health, education and self esteem." "Ignited young minds, we feel, are a powerful resource." "strength respects strength"
Mukul Kaushik
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
wonderful exhibition of facts and motivations for indian people
Krishna Prasad
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read for every Indian so that we can actually know our mission towards nation.
Saroj
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
setting a goal for tomorrow
Mrudula
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Must read book..
So you can learn how to set a goal, and set the vision in your personal , financial life also
Prabhat
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
India 2020 - a vision for the Millennium comprises of the following important chapters- (1) Evolution of Technology Vision 2020 (2) Food, Agriculture and Processing (3) Materials and the Future (4)
Chemicals Industries and Our Biological Wealth (5) Manufacturing for the Future (6) Services as People's Wealth (7) Strategic Industries (8) Health Care for All (9) The Enabling Infrastructure
Realizing the Vision. This information is in the form of achievable goals. The report is based on Government o
Azamali

References andf
Abhijit Gupta
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: india-related
(a) A little too much detail in certain chapters - not meant for generalists.
(b) Overtly optimistic about India's chances - objectively it is very difficult to digest.
(c) Has clearly highlighted the reasons for India's slow growth, including bureaucratic laziness and apathy, yet chooses to not give them much weight in his overall vision for India.
Nipun
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Good one. Kalam sir has given a really good blueprint on how the country can develop.Sadly,it is not being followed.
Samura Samura
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What India needs to do to become a developed nation has been prepared and shared by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalaam. His 2020 vision is well documented in this book in detail in every sector.
  • Simply Fly
  • A Better India: A Better World
  • The Taj Conspiracy (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #1)
  • The TCS Story . . . And Beyond
  • The Prophecy of Trivine
  • The Shadow Throne
  • My Life, My Rules: Stories of 18 Unconventional Careers
  • Vikalang Shraddha Ka Daur (विकलांग श्रद्धा का दौर)
  • R.I.P
  • Meri Ekyavan  Kavitayen (मेरी इक्यावन कवितायेँ )
  • Urvashi (उर्वशी)
  • Kamayani
  • Horn Ok Please -  HOPping To Conclusions
  • Colaba Conspiracy
  • Poor Little Rich Slum
  • Arjuna: Saga of a Pandava Warrior-Prince
  • Go Kiss the World: Life Lessons For The Young Professional
  • We are like that only: Understanding the Logic of Consumer India
Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (Tamil: அவுல பகீர ஜைனுலாபதீன அபதுல கலாம) usually referred to as A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, was one of India's most distinguished scientists. He was an Aerospace engineer, professor, and chancellor of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. During his term as President, he was popularly ...more
More about A.P.J. Abdul Kalam...