Start by marking “Writing Irresistible Kidlit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers” as Want to Read:

Captivate the hearts and minds of young adult readers! Writing for young adult (YA) and middle grade (MG) audiences isn't just "kid's stuff" anymore--it's kidlit! The YA and MG book markets are healthier and more robust than ever, and that means the competition is fiercer, too. In Writing Irresistible Kidlit, literary agent Mary Kole shares her expertise on writing novels ...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Writers Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Writing Irresistible Kidlit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Irresistible Kidlit

Jonathan Peto
Perhaps I beat a dead dog by reading writing books. I have a long list of goals when I do but actually realizing them requires an elusive, intangible application of knowledge, call it skill or talent if you like, a lament I’ve made at the start of one of these reviews at least one other time. The process is worthwhile and satisfying though - call me old-fashioned. I also sincerely believe writing can be taught. I just hope it does not take 10,000 hours of practice or a million words of tenacious ...more
Ashlee Willis
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok ... THIS is an awesome book. There is advice here for any writer who is seeking to WRITE young adult or middle grade fiction. I emphasize "write" because so many books now focus on publishing, promoting, platform, marketing, pitching, etc., etc., ETC.!! This book, however, focuses solely on writing in its purest form - the CRAFT of writing. The advice is wonderful, thoughtful, and so clearly written that no writer could read this book and not walk away with something gained from it.

Kole does
Lynley
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
The title promises a lot, and the author is certainly qualified, with a background in writing, publishing and acting.

The first and last chapters are all about the publishing industry, so the title should really say something about 'writing AND PUBLISHING' kidlit. Actually, this dates the book somewhat, with the assumption that everyone is still interested in the traditional publishing route, completely putting aside that a lot of new writers will have decided to self-publish. But even if you do
Melanie Kilsby
This was such a great resource and was an insightful guide for writing KidLit.
I wish there wasn't swearing (which took me a bit to hurdle through), but the examples she gave through literature that was on the market today, and the way she explained how to craft Literature geared towards kids, was superb! It confirmed what I was doing and helped me to achieve things I never truly considered thoroughly.

Patti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-advice
I had the dubious honor of receiving one of Ms. Kole's form rejections last summer. And after finishing this book I know why. In the second to last chapter she discusses queries/submissions. And to quote her:

If you're only getting form declines, something's not working, and I'm betting it's your writing sample. Yes, your writing sample. Not your query, as so many writers hope. We can overlook a heinous query if the writing is brilliant, but never the other way around. (pg 259)

The good thing is,
Kita
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Most books for writers are written by writers, which makes sense of course. Writing Irresistible Kidlit is written by an agent. She offers an interesting perspective. For example, she includes several lists of clichés that she sees all the time in the slush pile (plot clichés, character clichés, opening scene clichés etc.)

And she has lots of tidbits of good advice, like:

"Never be satisfied with the level of conflict you've engineered. Always twist it, always find a way to make it worse... But
Audrey
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Don't make my mistake and read it after you've written your first novel. Read it first. How-to for everything.
Claire Caterer
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I used to devour books on writing. Now I rarely pick one up, mostly because I realized I needed to spend more time doing the writing and less time reading about doing the writing. But I attended a lecture by Mary Kole at my local SCBWI chapter conference last fall and was intrigued enough to buy her book. And really, no matter where you are in your writing career, this book has lots to teach you.

Kole gives real-world examples of what she's talking about in terms of published YA/MG novels. She of
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Like the title states, this really is "The Ultimate Guide" for writing "kidlit."

A few things I loved about this book:
- Ms. Kole uses excerpts from 35 kidlit books to illustrate the writing craft techniques.
- The whole book is a lesson on good "voice." Her book uses a conversational tone that made it feel like she was just sitting at the table teaching me.
- The market sections. She gives an overview of the YA and MG markets, the YA and MG mindset, and the business side of getting your book
Terri Lynn
This is okay if you want to write middle grade and YA fiction but is too serious and stuffy for me. It is like reading an encyclopedia article by a PhD. Stuffy and boring and dull, oh my! There is a lack of examples. If you are looking for an interesting, conversational guide that is full of examples and real help, this isn't for you. Move on along.
Danielle Burns
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this How-To Book with a notebook by my side. I’m so glad I did, otherwise it would have been twice it’s size with all the post it tabs I would have wanted to add!

The author (a US literary agent) reinforces all the old themes about setting, characterisation & theme but does so with practical examples from well known US kidlit along with insightful comments from other literary agents & publishers.

There are exercises to complete at the end of each chapter and although I skipped a few
Kim
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of How To Become An Awesome writer type books. I've attended conferences, webnairs, and followed a lot of writer blogs, and out of all of those great tools and resources, kidlit.com has always been a favorite of mine. So when I heard that Mary Kole was writing a book, I was intrigued. The book is broken down into the important things you need to know when writing for the YA or MG marketplace.

It starts with an overview of the Kidlit Market then moves to describing the MG and YA r
Lori
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
Dammit. My stack of unread and nearly-due library ebooks mounts. I could not persuade my thumb to move past Mary Kole's Writing Irresistible Kidlit without pressing in for a quick peek, and now I've gone and read the whole thing. I own this book, yet I had to read it through before all those others with their ticking expiration dates.

Good stuff, this. I'm wading through revisions on a years-old manuscript, and Ms. Kole's insights are both practical and inspiring enough to effect real, story-alt
Lia Marcoux
I really enjoy Kole's Kidlit blog, but the book seems to focus more on writing that sells than writing craft (which is great for someone seeking that practical guide). Kole is an experienced professional with a successful list, so she obviously knows her stuff, but a couple of those commercial guidelines (which are not her fault) made me sad. Bitter emphasis entirely my own: "Try to give all issues, like experiencing racism probably, to secondary characters. And pack your YA with romance because ...more
Meagan
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a writer friend and I devoured it in a matter of days. It is excellent, filled with great reminders of stuff I already know but sometimes forget, and many new-to-me ideas as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is seriously interested in writing publishable fiction, especially if you already have something in the works that you want to improve. I am nearing the end of the first rewrite of the novel I am working on, and this book has me totally ener ...more
Jen
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Kole is a kid lit agent, so the advice she gives in this info-packed guide comes from a deep knowledge of the industry. For example, there's a list of cliched openings - and mine was one (not wanting to go to your first day of a new school). Ack! But better to know now than after submitting to an agent. I found myself getting lots of ideas for my book, and wound up reading it with my laptop on my lap so I could jot down plot or setting or character points without having to get up. Absolutel ...more
Courtney
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read book by the awesome agent Mary Kole for anyone writing for children. She is a master, and loved her words of encouragement at the end, too. My favorite quote: Novels are written one word at a time, and every word is a choice.
Dianna Winget
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is an excellent book on writing, and I've read my share of craft books. I love Mary's examples and how she's able to put you in the mind of both middle graders and young adults. I would highly recommend this helpful aid.
Anyta Sunday
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid.

It's always great to get the basis drummed into you again and again. I particularly liked the examples, my only qualm with it is that it has increased my 'to read' pile by another 20.

Need more reading time!!!
Anika
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tool for MG/YA writers.
Andrew Shaffer
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're thinking of writing YA/MG fiction, you need to read this book. Even if you write it already, I'm sure you would enjoy it as well.
Olivia
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
This was really useful to me. I've read writing books before, so a lot of the material was familiar to me. But I wanted that YA/MG "setting," since that's what I write. It was a helpful read, in understanding what teens/middle graders feel and experience (since, I suspect, I had a vastly different growing-up time than the average person). Some of that, though, I was iffy on (I was concerned, for example, that young adults/kids find a fascination in dark stuff like death and suicide and such???? ...more
Maggie Holman
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Kole really knows what she's talking about! This book has completely turned around how I was approaching my children's and YA writing. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Each chapter contains relevant, useful and insightful information about writing and about the book world. Kole doesn't just tell us things from her own point of view. She refers throughout the book to contextual examples from current books to support her points, and asks also writers and agents for their thoughts and cont ...more
Linda Judd
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful guide for story crafters and writers. Even though its aim is for Middle Grade and Young Adult, the development of characters is the same for any genre. Mary Kole has brought to light every aspect of creating characters with specific examples from published books, all works of novel length. Lots of examples, to cover plot development, that even the young reader would appreciate.
Melody
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy writing and reading about writing, and especially if you write MG or YA, this is a good one to read. I’m working on my query letter and going to use her tips on it. She seems to know what she’s talking about. This book is going on my shelf to keep as a reference. I’m sure I’ll need to refer back to it later on as I work on my next book!
Savannah Hendricks
I found this book rather helpful, but not a easily spelled out as a few other books on writing that I have read. That said, it is a heavier read and there is a lot to take in. Se of the chapters seemed for writers just starting out, while other chapters felt more for advanced writers. Even though it's marketed as MG and YA, the book works for adult fiction also.
Roxanne Troup
Definitely geared more toward the higher end of the kid-lit spectrum, I enjoyed this book's library (excerpts used as examples) of good voice, theme, character, setting, etc. Nothing earth-shattering here, but solid advice none-the-less. I would have like to see more middle-grade examples given--most seemed to be YA.
Christina
This is a fantastic resource that I'm sure I will reference over and over again. I digitally highlighted so many things to re-read! I even took a new crack at my query letter using her tips. Really helpful.
Erin Michele
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, clearly-written look at the YA publishing field and the elements needed to write a satisfying and engaging story for a YA audience. I read it as a part of my Stanford CS class. It gave me a good overview of the market and provided checklists and mentor texts to support my writing.
B
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the information but I felt she could have summed up a lot of the content in the last few chapters. I also did not agree with some of her philosophies like how most kids aren’t negatively affected by reading dark issues. Everyone is affected by what they put in their minds, kids especially.
A must for authors 1 6 Nov 01, 2012 04:10PM
  • Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Wild Ink : Success Secrets to Writing and Publishing in the Young Adult Market
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
  • The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Up Your Novel for Success
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Take Joy: A Writer's Guide to Loving the Craft
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!