Start by marking “Head First C: A Brain-Friendly Guide” as Want to Read:
Head First C: A Brain-Friendly Guide

Head First C: A Brain-Friendly Guide (Head First Series)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Ever wished you could learn C from a book? "Head First C" provides a complete learning experience for C and structured imperative programming. With a unique method that goes beyond syntax and how-to manuals, this guide not only teaches you the language, it helps you understand how to be a great programmer. You'll learn key areas such as language basics, pointers and pointe ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Head First C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First C

Annika Brock
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great resource for learning how to code; plenty of examples and exercises, and the information is presented in many different ways in each chapter, making sure that if one explanation wasn't quite clicking, another likely would, as well as guaranteeing repetition to make sure the points stuck.
Bonface M. K.
The main goal of this book was to present C in a way that's easy to comprehend. I felt that they achieved that with me. Read the full review here: https://bonfacemunyoki.com/post/2017-...
Desirae
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, computer
Ata Öz
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty out of the box. Makes you think widely and broaden your vision.
Aman Sharma
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an amazing book that I have found so far.
Chad
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt some conflict over how to rate this. The gimmicky BS, sprawling waste of my time and money in its conceptual repetitiveness, and ADHD-oriented antipedagogical style is worth a two-star rating at best, and some of the author's inherent biases might edge it down to being worth less than one star. The way it focuses on the pragmatic necessities of writing C programs for a variety of purposes, starting with the simple basics that make it easy to get started on writing small and useful utiliti ...more
Yitzchak
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good C book. The other ones I looked at were overly dry. At first glance this book looked too casual and chaotic, but I found it was an entertaining as well as informative walk through beginning C.

The only drawback, and it was major, was that the labs were much more advanced than the routine programming examples and exercises in the book; I felt like I needed something in between. Also, the labs assumed too much; the first required an Arduino machine to connect to, the second r
Josh Kisb
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is excellent for those wanting to gain better grasp of programming concepts using C language.
It covers a wide range of different topics in a fun and easy to understand way. I cannot remember the last time i had fun reading and learning

Some people do not like the jokes and fun because they are oh so serious they want to read a manual and they are able to remember all of it but if you are a normal human being who enjoys a little humor and having fun while learning then this is the book
Joppe Geluykens
I read this book preparing for a little assignment for a course that gave a minimal intro to C programming and it served it's purpose really well.

I actually liked the little jokes in and around the text and together with the layout of the book, it was fun to turn to the next page.

If you want an intro to C without having to read through paper-like scripts of technical writing, I recommend you start with this book an move on to more advanced reading after.
RanjuVel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't get interested in programming with this book, you'll never in your life get interested in it.

It introduces programming like child's play and teaches it like one and it(programming) appears to the reader as child's play only evermore, after reading the book. The exercises in the book refresh the reader's dusty, unused brain and unveils a new zeal to learn things . You can't miss this book!
Miguel Vargas
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good starting point for C. I have learnt a bunch of things, and I strongly recommend to read it to someone who is interested in learning C. I was taking the course Practical Programming in C offered for free at the MIT Open Courseware which was really useful to improve the knowledge.
Luke
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to C with exercises of varying levels of difficulty. My next step will be delving into the Linux kernel.
Lisa
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Antony Thomas
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stands good to the Head-First series.
Kee
Wafa
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm using this book as my extra exercises in understanding C, it is really a great book for beginners.
Dat Le Tran
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's fun to read
Prashant Singh
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book with concepts,lot of funny images :),interesting ideas,OUT-OF-BOX approach to write content.GOOD for people who want to learn C PROGRAMMING.
Alder115
  • Head First Android Development
  • Head First HTML5 Programming
  • C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices
  • C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Head First Ajax: A Brain-Friendly Guide
  • Database Systems: The Complete Book
  • HTML5 and CSS3: Develop with Tomorrow's Standards Today
  • Mastering Algorithms with C
  • Practical C Programming

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry