Start by marking “Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works” as Want to Read:
Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Read Book* *Different edition

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  8,241 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We're building more products than ever before, but most of them fail--not because we can't complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That's the
Published February 24th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Lean, please sign up.

Hamzah Kattan There's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and…moreThere's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and procedural, many view that as a con but I find it to be its main strength. It's all about its details, go for it.(less)

Rob
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I fig
Mya
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl ...more
Sudnya
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*notes to self*
>> Why are start ups hard?
Because the product market fit takes multiple iterations. Most learning happens after the product is released, so get to that point soon.
Know HOW to listen to customers, not just what they say. Customers might not know what they need, but there will be a recurring theme of pain points. Don't Pitch in customer interviews, listen.

Iterate enough on the idea and product before running out of resources (not just $$, but time!)
Get out of the building fo
m ko
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki
Oday Zaher
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend reading the following books before jumping on this one:
-The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
-Business Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
-Value Proposition Design by Alan Smith, Alexander Osterwalder, Gregory Bernarda, Trish Papadakos, and Yves Pigneur.

This will create a wider range of understanding of what the Lean Startup is all about. I also recommend jumping on Ash's new book: Scaling Lean as it is a continuation of this book (In terms of scaling the Business)
Александр Федотов
Интересная книга, соединяющая на практике customer development и lean мышление.
Подтвердила мои выводы о том, что чем больше ты говоришь с клиентами тем меньше рисков сделать что то не то, что хочет рынок(кеп).

Я так и не смог прочитать 4steps to ephihany, но это хороший пример рабочей методологии для интернет проектов
Aya
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Nejzajímavější nápady jsou hned na začátku knihy, potom už mi toho moc nedala. Druhá nejpřínosnější část byl konec – paradoxně appendix.
Každopádně bych tuto knihu upřednostnila tištěnou – lean canvas si prostě bez obrázku jen těžko představím (v praxi).
Audio zpracování vůbec není špatné – rozhodně mezi naučnými knihami jedno z nejlepších! Co mi však mírně vadilo, byla těžkopádná výslovnost angličtiny.
Lindsay Nixon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is possibly the best "business" book I've read and the single page business plan is brilliant. If you're thinking about starting a business or have a business that you want to improve, this is a terrific book.
Jay Weeldreyer
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered
Louis
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id
George Wang
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a
Ahmad hosseini
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management, web
What is running lean?
It is a systematic process for iterating from plan A to a plan that works, before running out of resources.
The essence of running lean can be distilled into three steps:
1. Document your plan by Lean canvas
2. Identify the riskiest part of your plan by researching, interviewing, MVP and etc.
3. Systematically test your plan by iterating

This book is for managers, developers and entrepreneurs, and all those who plan to start their own IT business. In that, the author shares his
Maciej Mróz
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a worthy follow up to "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries. Instead of focusing on the principles of lean startup (which original book did extremely well), "Running Lean" is presenting exact recipes on how to specify, validate, develop and introduce new product to market. While this knowledge obviously applies to startups, I think this way of doing things applies to any product where uncertainty is very high. For this reason, I'd recommend this book not only to people who want to start their ...more
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Sakis Triantafyllakis
Very clear examples and ways to track your progress and optimise all procedures in your company/startup. Attention to detail is vital in the business world and this book proves it!
Bülent Duagi
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Mark Harnett
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running Lean is very well thought out.. .and tested! It talks through the thought process for creating a business.

Having worked at one of the early companies to follow what became the "Lean" process: "IMVU" it is very interesting to see the development and refinement of many of the concepts.

Some of the key points that changed my mind and surprised me were:
1) Start by charging a price: If you don't charge a price up front, you will get a lot of users who sign up, and use the product, but are neve
Hugh Mason
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the 20th century, technology amazed us. Faced with so many new possibilities we learned to ask the question 'Could it be done?' and, typically, well-resourced large company R&D departments toiled for years and often they showed us that the answer was yes. But quite often they also created products that failed because they didnt fulfil a real need, despite having burned up millions of dollars and years of effort by talented people.

Now, in the 21st century, many of us have learned t
Andrew Ziegler
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this is a great book and an earnest system for start-ups. A lot of big, established companies try to steal and repackage this program, but it is best suited for those people trying to solve a specific problem. Highly recommend.
Adrian
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read one book on entrepreneurship, let this be it. It summarizes a lot of the "best" ideas in entrepreneurship (Steve Blank, Eric Ries, Sean Ellis, etc.) and gives you a very practical guide to getting started.
Isaac
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneur
This is an interesting take on Lean startups. The information presented is a pretty objective version of a subjective topic.

Well written and clear.
Franti  Huamán Mera
I bought this book in Amazon 2 years ago and today I read it again. Ash show us how we can develop products (software) iteratively using lean methodology with an example.
Leo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's an instruction manual to follow up on the Lean Startup. There are some good concepts but it felt too much like reading software installation instructions.
Tanya
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better and more practical than the Lean Startup.
NC Das
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for beginners like me. The book helps me to understand more about the lean startup methodology. Thank you Ash Maurya!
Nicola De Filippo
Must to have (and read).
Renan De  Oliveira Pereira
Amazing book by Ash Maurya. It's a great follow up for Lean Startup by Eric Ries, since the latter gives you the "Lean mindset", and the former gives you a methodical approach, describing a real process.
Patrik Hallberg
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Reading this in order so that we are all on the same page before we create a lean canvas for eCraft International. Lean Canvas is a further development of Alex Osterwalder’s Business Model Canvas, which he describes in the book Business Model Generation. Lean Canvas helps deconstruct your business model into nine distinct subparts that are then systematically tested, in order of highest to lowest risk.
Stage 1: Problem/Solution Fit Key question: Do I have a problem worth solving?
Stage 2: Product/
Jim B.
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Probably one of the better trendy "Lean" books out these days. Despite being drawn from blog content, it's fairly well edited he did an excellent job porting his posts and talks to book format.

Stuff I liked:
- The author is a technical founder, so he knows how the sausage is made.

- To get your idea on paper, Ash Maurya created a "Lean Canvas" which is an adaptation of the Osterwalder Business Model Canvas. Maurya's canvas is much more down-to-earth and is a much better fit for any software start

Robert Postill
I picked up this book because having read the lean startup (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) I felt like I hadn't got much to proactively do to implement it's suggestions. This book bills itself as the practical companion to the lean startup so I was deeply attracted to the premise.

The book should be read chapter upon chapter as the ideas under discussion build towards the conclusion in a linear fashion. So effectively what you end up with is a step-by-step formula for emulating the aut
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 25 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Founder′s Dilemmas - Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup (The Kauffman Foundation Series on Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these
More about Ash Maurya...

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Life's too short to build something nobody wants.” 8 likes
“Customers don’t care about your solution. They care about their problems. —Dave McClure, 500 Startups” 5 likes