Start by marking “Sinatra: Up and Running: Ruby for the Web, Simply” as Want to Read:
Sinatra: Up and Running: Ruby for the Web, Simply

Sinatra: Up and Running: Ruby for the Web, Simply

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Take advantage of Sinatra, the Ruby-based web application library and domain-specific language used by Heroku, GitHub, Apple, Engine Yard, and other prominent organizations. With this concise book, you will quickly gain working knowledge of Sinatra and its minimalist approach to building both standalone and modular web applications.

Sinatra serves as a lightweight wrapper a
Published November 21st 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sinatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinatra

Naum
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books on programming/software development have always been plagued with too much content, either failing to be concise and terse or padded with all sorts of extraneous filler or worse, taking too many words to educate an aspiring apprentice. It seems that the *C Programming Language* by Kernighan and Ritchie, the classic programmer instruction text, is a Sisyphusian goal that few are unable to achieve.

OTOH, with the explosion of ebooks, there is now the tendency to reduce the content a bit too m
Jesse Jones
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best programming books I've ever read. It's a short read, but incredibly dense and packed full of useful information, e.g. HTTP verbs, Rack, Modular Sinatra Apps, etc. If you're thinking about giving Sinatra a try, be sure to read this book.
John Alan
Mar 09, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read this over the xmas vacations..

I had no real experience in web frameworks - I'm not a web developer.

It was fun, got deeper later on.. so I want to re-read the last half of the book.

I won't feel comfortable writing a real review until then...
Anton Antonov
Sinatra: Up and Running is a more advanced look at the already idiomatic Sinatra library. The book is relatively short (5 chapters) and it can be categorized as a light-read.

Even though it's very short, author Alan Harris guides the reader through Sinatra in a very descriptive manner leaving barely (if any) questions unanswered.
You might ask, what's lacking then if it's focused on explanations? - Book projects and exercises. However the code examples are sufficient mostly. There are places here
Anurag Priyam
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the book in three hours straight. Content coverage is just right; couldn't think of anything in particular that this book leaves out. And the writing style clear and succinct.

The book explains Sinatra's API very well with simple and (mostly) meaningful examples. The internals are explained in the context of actual Sinatra code or a simplified version if the implementation is a little complicated. I love how the book introduces related information, but essentially beyond the scope of the
Justin
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review is a bit padded because I assign such a high value to the somehow rare short-book format. How many times have you trudged through installation instructions for every Linux distribution on Earth, when you just want some exposure to a subject and a minor reference? I get the impression that publishers want fixed and padded page counts, and as a reader I want the opposite. I was only interested in the DSL, so I don't have any positive or negative comments to offer about the modular design se ...more
Frank Caron
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction and beginner's reference for Sinatra. "Up and Running" fulfills its promise admirably, as within a few hours, I'd consumed its text completely and had a few basic Sinatra apps up and running. The book is certainly not exhaustive, but for someone looking to get started and as a reference once bootstrapped, this one is a great choice for the price. It's paced well, relates material to common implementations and use cases web devs would already be familiar with, and it does so ...more
Chad Perrin
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coding, ruby
It does exactly what it claims to do. It is a very fast, easy introduction to getting started with the Sinatra web framework for Ruby, a lightweight framework that avoids surprises apart from how surprisingly easy it is to get started. The book also covers a number of approaches to developing Sinatra web applications that are not well covered in online tutorials I have found. For someone who knows enough Ruby to get by, who wants to learn Sinatra, this book is a great introduction.
Emil Petkov
It felt like an extended Github page, and maybe it were :)
Aron
Nice concise overview of the framework and short enough that it can be used as a reference. The chapters on Rack were really the most interesting part of the book.
Xavier
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Gets straight to the point and doesn't skimp on the technicalities of how Sinatra works. I feel like I have a much better understanding of Sinatra apps after reading this.
Kerri
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what it says on the cover.
William
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • MongoDB in Action
  • The Little Book on CoffeeScript
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Node.js in Action
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • The Developer's Code: What Real Programmers Do
  • The Cucumber Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »