Start by marking “Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)” as Want to Read:
Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)

Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Poetry Speaks to Children reaches into the world of poetry and pulls outhe elements children love rhyme rhythm fun and every once in a while aittle mischief Illustrated in colour throughout Poetry Speaks to Children s designed for children of ages six to eleven Featuring more than 100oems 50 of them brought to life on CD ranging from Gwendolyn Brooks togden Nash Shel Silve ...more
Published October 18th 2005 by Sourcebooks MediaFusion

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD)

Meagan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
My husband received this book as a gift for his first Father's Day. I have enjoyed reading it too as well as reading some of it aloud to our 7 month old. While we have a few other poetry collections for children, I specifically appreciate this one because it contains poems that address a wide range of emotions and experiences. It's not all "sweet" poems, but has ones that speak to fear, sadness, etc. in a non-patronizing way. The poets featured are mostly well-known, both classic and contemporar ...more
Steph
There are some very wonderful gems in here. The range of readers spans k-12.
Individual poems are quite useful in developing units of inquiry. For example, "Snowmen" can be used with the water cycle, as well as with the 5th grade Memory Unit.
Precious Hill
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Overall this is a really good book. This book included poems from multiple poets and authors. This book also come with a CD of the authors and poets reading their poems. Can I tell that this makes this book an even greater read. The most favorite of them all is Why I like Chocolate by Nikki Giovanni. She too is on the CD reading her poem which's draw that much more into the poem. This book would geared towards pre-k thru 3rd or 4th grade maybe. I would suggest that this book is incorporated in c ...more
Bella
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poetry Speaks to Children is a collection of poetry by various authors. It was illustrated by Judy Love, Wendy Rasmussen, and Paula Zinngrabe Wendland, and is most likely intended for children ages 7-12.

Summary: Poetry Speaks to Children collects 95 of the best poems to read out loud to children.

Evaluation: I rated this book 4 stars because it includes so many poems that are perfect for reading out loud accompanied by lively illustrations that really bring those poems to life. The collection was
Aimee Ortega
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read this book to complement our homeschool study of poetry. We absolutely LOVED this book! The poems were so enjoyable and we thoroughly enjoyed hearing the different people read through the poems. They definitely brought a new dimension of life to the poets words. Great great read! Enjoy!
Matt
This poetry anthology comes with a CD containing audio recordings of the poets reading aloud their work. All of the poems are from well-known authors. Perfect for a listening library in the classroom, or for a long car ride.
(NS) Becca
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From Booklist
Gr. 3-5. Teachers will celebrate this wide-ranging collection of both classic and contemporary poetry, including selections from Robert Bly and Rainer Maria Rilke, who aren't often included in anthologies for youth. There's little organization, although similarly themed selections sometimes appear together (the witches' lines from Macbeth come just after Karla Kuskin's "Knitted Things," also about a witch, for example). Almost every poem appears on a heavily illustrated page, and th
Joshua Parry
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read the book: Poetry Speaks to Children by Elise Paschen. (99 pages)
This is review #8.
I chose one of the poems in the book to represent symbolism.
It is called Crayons: a rainbow poem by Jane Yolen. The author uses symbolism to describe the colors of crayons.
“This box contains the wash of blue sky,
spikes of green spring.
a circle of yellow sun,
triangle flames of orange and red.” pg 23
Although the crayon box does not actually contain a sky, blades of grass, a sun, and fire, the author of this po
Oct 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book contains a diverse collection of poems for children from a variety of poets including Gwendolyn Brooks, Lewis Carroll, Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Ogden Nash, and many others. This would be a nice book to use to introduce children to a variety of authors and a variety of poetry styles. It would be a wonderful read-aloud book, reading nook book or could be used in a listening center since it comes with a CD. Not all of the poems are on the CD, but the ones that are are labled in bo ...more
April Hamilton
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an okay collection, but just okay. I would've liked to see some of the modern classics in addition to what is presented here, and a more focused collection based on the age of the intended audience.

There are works by Tolkein, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes and even Shakespeare, plus an epigram from Alexander Pope, none of which seem especially well-suited to the intended age group of this book (grammar-school aged kids), yet there's nothing by Silverstein, Seuss, or Sendak. The book inc
Lule
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
1) This collection has not received any awards.

2)Appropriate grade levels: Kindergarten through 3rd grade.

3) This book is a collection of many different poems by various authors and topics . The book includes a CD for a follow along as well. The book has many simple, easy to read poems to more challenging pieces of work. The illustrations are clear and understandable to readers.

4) This book is going to be in my classroom library. There are many examples that could be used in a poetry lesson.
Evelyn Tapia
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book holds multiple poems that can get small and big children interested in reading about poetry. This book also comes with a CD, which can come out pretty handy for teachers and parents to listen to before reading. The CD has the writers passionate emotion and feelings of how he/she wrote the poem. Children learn how rhymes and riddles are also used tell a story. However, the poems are more than just a story they hold deeper meanings in which sometimes can be hard to interpret. My favorite ...more
Robert Beveridge
Elise Paschen (ed.), Poetry Speaks to Children (Sourcebooks Inc., 2005)

A collection of poems written to, or about, children with an accompanying fifty-track CD (most tracks are of the poems themselves, though a few are the poets talking about the inspiration for one piece or another). While a number of these fall into bona fide chestnut status, kids who are being exposed to poetry for the first time won't be aware of that, and that old black magic should work just fine on them. For older readers
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This anthology is AMAZING. Reading it along with listing to the authors read their poems brought the experience to a whole new level. Robert Frost, Billy Collins, Gwendolyn Brooks, Carl Sandburg, Roald Dahl, J.R.R. Tolkien, Langston Hughes, X.J. Kennedy, Rita Dove--and that's just my favorites who read their own poems. But if I had to choose one favorite, it would be Sonia Sanchez's reading on "to P.J." There were also a lot of poems only included in writing and not on the CD. Plus, the illustra ...more
Angela Williams
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-books
Grades 1st & up

This book is silly and full of rhymes and excitement. The images are vibrant and playful and refect the text or meaning of the poems. The poems are geared towards younger children and will allow them to use their imagination. Children will enjoy hearing the poems as well as listening to the poems on the cd provided

Language arts/science

Lesson idea: Students can choose a poem and write about what they think the meaning is.

Kate Coombs
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very fun poetry collection! I'll confess I haven't finished the book only in the sense that I've read all the poems, but haven't listened to the accompanying CD. (My excuse is that I'm a visual learner, not an auditory one.) But the poems are excellent--a nice variety--and the art is lovely. My new favorite poem is "Why?" by James Stevenson, and not just because it involves doughnuts! I own other poetry collections I like better, but this one is quite good.
Hannah
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
What I love most about this book of poetry is that there is a CD included that has some of the poets reading their poems. It is fun to hear how they read them which is usually very different from the way I read them - different inflections, speed, etc... I also think it is absolutely incredible to hear Robert Frost reading his Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening...wow! I think I enjoy this poetry book more than the kiddos!
Kassandra
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book provides a number of poems and a CD with poems read by the poets. I like how it contains a CD so the teacher can play it for students to listen. Most of the poems consist of adventures which children will enjoy. Also, I noticed that most of the poems include animals makes the poems interesting. The illustration vary in color some light and others dark.
(NS)JenniferA
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-print, poetry
I think this book is nice for children to be able to hear the rhymes and rhythms on the CD as they read along. Many times poetry needs to be read in particular rhythm and this allows children to hear that. What I liked most about this book of poetry was that the actual poets read their own poems aloud for the children to hear.
Marissa
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are lots of other poems and poets that it would be great to see included, however, this collection still holds up well to many reads. I've been using it as part of teaching a creative writing class for 3rd through 5th graders and the kids are all responding well. They appreciate the sillier poems and are also up to the challenge for the more serious.
Chris Cherney
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This 2005 poetry book is a fantastic compilation of traditional and modern poems. The greatest thing is that it comes with a CD with the authors reading the poems. Many poems can be used as a kickoff to writing other poems.
Joy
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What I love about this book is that it has the original authors (in many cases) reading the poetry. Authors like Roald Dahl and Robert Frost fill this wonderful book of poetry. I bought it to put the poetry on in the car with my little guy. So great.
Alec
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book feels magical, and it makes poetry seem as magical as it is. The varied subject matter covered in the 95 included poems captures a childhood both for a young reader and an adult reader. It would be perfect to read together (or listen) and talk about afterwards.
Becca
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, audio-book
Love hearing the authors read their poems. Some are read by others, and some are better than others, but overall delightful. Not all of the poems in the book were on the CD, which was disappointing. Nevertheless, it's a great package.
Ronna
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not the greatest selection of poems but the CD is intriguing since many of the original authors read the poems. It was fun for my children to hear the voices of famous authors like Ogden Nash, Robert Frost, Roald Dahl and Carl Sandburg.
Kiddo
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-fun
This should probably be a 5 star. I didn't like all the poems, but there were some great ones and some great ones new to me. It is wonderful to have a CD. I wish the authors' names were included for each poem on the CD.
MM
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Simone loves it so far -- listening to me read the poems and also hearing all the different voices on the CD. Most of these authors I don't associate with writing for children, but the selection definitely works -- some silly stuff, things that are fun to hear, little snippets.
Librarian40
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yayouth
Phenomenal, especially hearing J.R.R.Tolkein reading a poem from the Hobbit. A surprising number of the poems are read by their authors, including some that are lots older than you would think. My 5 year old likes listening to the CD.
Stacey Gante
Nov 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: poetry
This book shows the reader different forms of poetry and different schemes that they can use when writing a poem. I would use this book in my classroom library to help cater to different children through different forms of poetry.
Heather
This is an incredible anthology of children's poetry with a great CD accompanying it, often with the authors reading their own works, even old recordings like Langston Hughes and Robert Frost. Anna and I will read these for a long time together.
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
  • Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat
  • mammalabilia
  • Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson
  • Winter Poems
  • Poetry for Young People: William Shakespeare
  • Wishes, Lies, and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry
  • It's Raining Pigs and Noodles
  • A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn about the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles and Made Us Laugh and Cry
  • Poetry for Young People: Lewis Carroll