Start by marking “Riddle Child” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Alexander is autistic. When he is nine years old he is found dead in a bath of water. The only other person in the house at the time is his mother Ingrid. The circumstances arouse suspicion and the police take Ingrid into custody. Did she murder her child? And who could blame her if she did? She has had nine years of hell with her uncontrollable child, all those she cares ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Sa Penguin (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Riddle Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riddle Child

Kim
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-african, 2010
Annelie Botes

This books started life as Raaiselkind and I am very glad they translated it into English. It is set in South Africa and some of the circumstances within the book are the result of small town South African life, but it was such a relief to read a book written in and about South Africa that was not about politics or AIDS.

The book is about Ingrid and her autistic son Alexander. A much wanted third child and first son Alexander is born to small town dwellers Ingrid and Dawi
Rosy Retrospection
Sammy
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-the-good
Just incredible. This was an incredibly moving story that got a lot of emotions boiling inside of me. This book was just so real, and I know I use this term a lot, but I think it's an important term to use when discussing books, because that's often what makes or breaks a book for many of us. I have a feeling that Annelie Botes has either experienced autism first hand through a friend or family member, or she has really done her research.

This book really moved me. At first I thought it was going
Erik
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, literature
[Dutch]
Autisme, volgens de Winkler Prins een ziekelijke in-zich-zelf-gekeerdheid, gepaard aan een duidelijk verminderde belangstelling voor de werkelijkheid en een gestoorde (sociale) activiteit. Volgens mij, na het lezen van Raadselkind van Annelie Botes, een levende nachtmerrie voor de familie.

Lees meer op 8WEEKLY
Kate Walsh
What a terribly written novel.
But the content and subject choice made up for it.
A really important book in understanding the life of a child with autism and the many, many effects this situation has on the family.
Every person should read this book.
Kitten
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
A highly entertaining read. Appears to be thoroughly researched and yet it is easy to read.
Gerhard
Little depressing, but shows what may happen with an outistic child
Karin
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A captivating read about a mother accused of murdering her autistic child.
Sandra Jacobs
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Briljant!
Kim
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemp fiction....South Africa, 2000....Autistic boy drowns - mother is accused of murder - through interrogation we learn how autism destroyed the family.
  • Toorbos
  • Fees Van Die Ongenooides
  • Dis Ek, Anna
  • Wie Met Vuur Speel
  • Eve's Tattoo
  • Waiting for the Monsoon
  • De koningin van Paramaribo : Kroniek van Maxi Linder
  • Nicht nur zur Weihnachtszeit
  • Een uur en achttien minuten
  • Asbestemming