Start by marking “A Dry Spell” as Want to Read:
A Dry Spell

A Dry Spell

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  329 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A town of wide open prairies and endless skies, Goodlands, North Dakota, seemed the perfect place to farm and raise a family--until four years without rain brought the town to its knees.  Now darkness has descended on Goodlands: fires are singeing the already parched land, suspicious crimes are on the rise and an ever-increasing sense of doom is enveloping the town.  Goodl ...more
Published September 3rd 1997 by Delacorte Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Dry Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dry Spell

Cedric Nye
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to say that I read this book while I was locked up in a prison down in Mexico. I had been starved, abused, and I nearly died. I finally managed to get word out through an inmate, and was saved by that. They don't let you die if someone knows you are in there!
Now, there were missionaries and do-gooders who would bring books to that foul prison, and they mostly ended up being used as toilet paper by the poorer inmates. Once I had been taken to a hospital, and treated for illne
Teeliles
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago, but recently pulled it out of the bookshelf when my kindle -- gasp! -- went on the fritz. A very enjoyable book, a little mysticism, a little romance, well-written, with appealing characters. I've always loved the Rainmaker myth as well, so there was a good reason this novel remained on my bookshelves after years of regular purging!
Kristal Cooper
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a pretty boring, drawn-out book with only a little bit of intrigue for me. I listened to it on audiotape while travelling and want to blame Karen Allen's breathy reading of it, but I'm afraid it's actually the author's fault. The story had potential, but it was unrealized. My lone joy was imagining Viggo Mortensen as the rainmaker.
Bronwyn
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book really surprised me! It's a very strong three stars. The comparisons to early Stephen King aren't too off the mark. Moloney has created a fast-paced book with compelling characters and a great mix of horror, suspense and romance. She also does small town life very well, though since she's from Winnipeg I like to think her inspiration was Canadian! The plot doesn't entirely hang together but I was willing to suspend my belief because I was so invested in the plot. Moloney is a master at ...more
R.G. Evans
Jan 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oscar_LRB
Pues me esperaba menos de esta novela...
La he perseguido durante años y finalmente llegó a mis manos.

Me ha recordado mucho a lo que sentí con algunaas novelas de Stepehn King.
La peculiar habilidad del protagonista me ha parecido muy curiosa.

Si no le he dado más "stars", es porque llegado a este punto muchas de las escenas me recordaban a "historias ya vividas", y estoy seguro que de haberlo cogido al poco de su publicación, lo habría disfrutado más.

En todo caso, me ha gustado y no he sentido la
Diana
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at the used book store in the horror section. I feel like that was a very loose categorization. Though there are a couple of supernatural elements which could be considered frightening, it's mostly a love story.

A banker in a small town plagued by an unnatural drought, calls a rainmaker for help. But something in the town is keeping his powers from working.

I do like how the story shifts between characters.
Lowerc
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Thought most of the characters worked quite well. However for me it definitely seemed that those with less ivolvement with the story were better written and more 'real'. Also, felt that this book just didn't know if it was a small-town drama (which it would have excelled at), or something supernatural (which kind of let it down). Can't say I didn't like the book, but if it had been one or other, then I would have liked it quite a bit more.
Holly Booms Walsh
The farming town of Goodlands, North Dakota, has suffered through four years of drought, with one farm after another falling to the auctioneer's gavel. The local bank manager takes a chance on a man who claims to be a rainmaker. His arrival in town dredges up old dark secrets and there is a price to be paid before rain can be made to fall. This book is part supernaturl, part thriller, and part romance. Not bad, sort of like a Stephen King novel that's not quite on his best game.
Julie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this a long time ago. It was a so-so read, but for some reason I am thinking back to this book. The portrayal of the residents in Goodland, ND as they suffered the drought and how it affected their dispositions is filtering forward in my mind. Not only due to this summers hot dry conditions, but with the conditions in my own life.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best book I've read in a long time. I can't remember the last time I read a book that I wasn't able to predict what was going to happen. If you read often and are tired of books being predictable then give this one a try. It might throw you a little off your game.
Shay
Jun 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: worst-reads
It was alright up until the ending. It left some things unanswered. Very disappointed about that.
Tim
May 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some similarities to Dean Koontz writing style and content but not as advanced.
Peter
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it
A nicely plotted 'horror-thriller' using some very familiar tropes...small town, good and bad people...drought...mixed motivations...drifter...you know the drill but this is nicely told.
LocoErasmo
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Un libro entretenido, rápido de leer. Para pasar un buen momento.
Prapti
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It was good until the conclusion came along. Merely disappointing :/
Alexis
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I loved the town setting of Susie Moloney's novel. I also loved the sense of foreboding and the feeling that something sinister was about to happen. This novel had good pacing, and good characters. I did have trouble keeping all the characters apart, but that is probably my own fault, and not the writers. I also expected things to get scarier, but in truth, the story was more mysterious and never fully explained.
Robin
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The cards of this deck - main ideas, etc - were good, but poorly played.
Angela
Karen Grange came to Goodlands, North Dakota, to start her life over. Instead, she watches a once-thriving town die before her eyes. Four years without rain has struck Goodlands like a curse, withering crops and darkening the air with dust. In its wake, a sudden wave of strange, twisted crimes has shattered families and lives. Desperate, Karen reaches out to the only man who can help -- a man who offers a miracle...and promises to heal her wounded heart. His name is Tom Keatley. A drifter, an ou ...more
Many8
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Non mi ha convinta del tutto.
A tratti chiaro, ad altri tratti di meno. Alcune volte potrei definirlo confusionale, e soprattutto la fine. Nelle ultime 20 pagine si capisce ben poco. Termina con una partenza, per al ricerca di chiarimenti, ma noi lettori, come possiamo capire gli avvenimenti?
Scritto abbastanza bene, anche se qualche volta lo stile mi ha dato fastidio.
Semplice, abbastanza scorrevole, lineare.
Mi sarei aspettata un po' di più.
Krystle Smith
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it had a great plot line with a mysterious feel to it!
Isabel Mansfield
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
An intriging story
Audrey
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not my usual type of genre, but I thought I would try it anyway.. Book well written but story jumped around too many voices, I found it hard to follow and enjoy it.
Denys Patricia
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: roman
de regenmaker
Shivanee Ramlochan
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Airport lounge fiction with a slightly more interesting than usual premise.
Jill Hyson-Whitty
"Stephen King"ish
Bruce Campbell
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women.....
A romance with a twist....I loved this book and I'm a guy! I think.
Marsten
Aug 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
No me gustó. Es bastante mala.
Marie-José
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A catching story, well written. The theme a bit wobbly and a predictable ending. I liked it though
Donna Hesselbaum
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
From the bargain shelf at the used book store...Stephen King type book about a 4-year drought in a small ND town and the efforts to stop it
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • Skull Session
  • House of Tribes
  • In the Drink
  • The Factory Voice
  • Ascension Day Part 1 of 2
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • The Piper's Sons
  • 19 Purchase Street
  • Cold Water Crossing: An Account of the Murders at the Isles of Shoals
  • Most Wanted
  • Into the Fire
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Boundless Sea (Sacred Breath, #3)
  • To the Islands
  • Come in Spinner
  • Shadow of His Wings
  • The Lost Prince (The Dark Border, #1)