Start by marking “The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis” as Want to Read:
The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis

The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis loved literature, especially poetry. Once you can express yourself, she wrote, you can tell the world what you want from it. Now, Caroline Kennedy shares her mothers favorite poems by such renowned authors as William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, e.e. cummings, and Robert Frost. The book also includes a poem written by Jacqueline Kennedy and is ...more
Published September 30th 2001 by Hyperion (first published 2001)

Start your review of The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
John
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book! This is the kind of book you should buy and add to your permanent collection. Not only is it a great collection of peoms, it give the reader an insight into Jackie Kennedy. It turns out that she was a real fan of literature--something that I didn't know.
Floyd Williams
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful little book of mostly familiar poems. The book is interspersed with reflections of the life of Jackie and her family and takes one back to a time when occupants of the White House actually read and appreciated fine poetry.
Heather
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is not a reflection so much on the choice of poetry included, as just my lack of love for poetry. Sad, but I found myself bored, annoyed, or disengaged through most of the book. There was the occasional poem that piqued my interest or touched my heart, but they were few and far between. And since I have no particular love for the Kennedy family, that didn't help me relate or attach to them. One thing I noticed was that I was much more likely to FEEL something for a poem if I had heard it ...more
Lindsay
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The re read process took a long time, almost a year. I really enjoyed reading it sporadically because I was reading the poems out loud to my baby girl. I wanted to share the poetry with her even though she's too little to understand.
Brent M.  Jones
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000-2015-read
The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was selected and introduced by Caroline Kennedy. Her opening paragraph is a testimony to the value of poetry in our lives.

She said: “One of the greatest gifts my brother and I received from my mother was her love of literature and language. In this anthology I have tried to include poems that reflect things that were important to her-a spirit of adventure, the worlds of imagination and nature, and the strength of love and family. There are
Ferris
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collected and Introduced by Caroline Kennedy, this is a lovely collection of poetry. What makes the collection even more enjoyable to read are the tidbits of insight shared by Caroline about life with her oh so literate mother and father, from memorizing poems for their Daddy to Jacqueline's excitement in organizing an evening of poetry at the White House to the family tradition of writing or selecting a poem for their mother's birthday, Mother's Day, etc. Some classics, some sonnets, some ...more
Antje
Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis loved great language, great writers and so poetry. Her daughter picked some of her mother's most loved poems for this book, even there are few ones written by herself at the end. Especially the last one "Meanwhile in Massachusetts" I liked with a beautiful photograph in the background. On it you see her first husband, John F. Kennedy, in a distance walking away from us and enjoying the landscape. Love it! - It's a really nice book for all of those who are interested in ...more
Linda
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have always loved Jacqueline Kennedy and enjoy reading and learning more about her. I found this gem of a book for .59 at a Thrift store. I read some over the weekend but this will be a book I will always be reading. It contains best loved poems of Jackie, some poems she wrote and some of the most beautiful black and white family photographs. I find it very relaxing to read it. Each section is preceded with an introduction by Caroline. If you are a Jackie fan this is a must have!
Ashley Reynolds
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I honestly never really had an appreciation of poetry until I got this book. Jackie O epitomizes grace to me in a lot of ways and I was eager to see what poets had influenced her. It's divided into chapters like adventure and love so you can retreat to a particular section when I'm feeling a particular mood. I read a few poems a night before I go to bed. Believe me, it's much more relaxing and thought-provoking than letting the TV be the last thing you take in before you go to sleep :)
Rissie
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I recently decided that I want to read (and perhaps memorize) more poetry and this seemed like a good collection to start with. It did not to disappoint. There was enough variety so as to make it a good introduction for those readers who may be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with poetry. Pretty good. I would defiantly recommend.
Tami
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
I read "there are the Days when Birds come back" by Emily Dickenson for the first time. The introductions to the sections were enjoyable. And especially her own poem - Meanwhile in Massachusetts was particularly good.
Cheyenne
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This book made me appreciate poetry more. My love for the Kennedy family grows more and more each time I read a book or article on them. This book gave me a better insight on Jackie herself.
Cathi
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely collection of some wonderful poems, divided into sections: America, First Poems, Adventure, Escape, Romance and Love, Reflection, and In Her Own Words. I like Caroline Kennedy's reflections about her mother and the love for literature which she passed on to her children. The whole Kennedy "Camelot" myth thing is really overdone, but I do love certain things about how Jackie made the White House a place of art and culture.

There are some terrific poems in this little collection,
Kirsten
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thoughtfully curated collection of poems beloved by Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis and put together by her daughter Caroline. I rediscovered some old favorites like Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn" and Yeats's "Second Coming" and found some less familiar ones I love now, too, like "Merry-Go-Round" by Langston Hughes and "The Passionate Shepherd to his Love" by Christopher Marlowe. Caroline Kennedy mentions in the introduction that "one of the greatest gifts I received from my mother was her love of ...more
Hal Johnson
On the one hand this book is clearly unforgivable, 3000 years of capital A art repurposed as hagiographic Kennedy kitsch. It's the equivalent of a Mona Lisa ashtray or a Venus de Milo dashboard wobbler.

On the other hand, the selection of poetry is largely unexceptionable (if utterly safe). If this book tricks someone who would never read Yeats or Byron into reading Yeats or Byron, why should I stand in their way with my sneers?

Barb Anders
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as I apparently have many of the same favorite authors of poetry as Jackie Kennedy does....e.e.cummings, Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Langston Hughes, the list goes on and on. I love reading poetry out loud to my dog and we both enjoyed this book. One I'll keep and come back to often.
Claire
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2k19
this was overall a really lovely collection! I am not a robert frost fan, though, and so his work and some of the other free verse poems weren't my cup of tea. I am always a fan of poetry collections aimed at least partially for children, though, since the role of poetry is so severely underrated in child development!!
Sue
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are so many good memories connected with these poems- themes of childhood, nature, wonder, beauty, and love, but also the serious questions of war, hate, fighting, death and human parker passions. I felt touched by some, amused by others, not clear on all, but generally moved to feelings of emotional connection with the scenes the poet was creating with his words.
Catherine OBrien
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
appeals to the English Lit Major. A wonderful collection of classic poetry
NancyL Luckey
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some beautiful poems in this book - some just too long. Most of them were ones I had loved since childhood.
Danice
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A great collection, with stunning black and white photos. This collection includes many of my favorite poems.
Brenda Wychock
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. At the end of the book were poems that Jackie wrote. Wow,so beautiful.
Diana Cramer
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, kennedys
Nice anthology, and interesting window into Jackie's aesthetic sense of literature/poetry. I enjoyed every poem as well!
Donnajo
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Determination Plus challenge print owned book.
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection with insights into the life of a lovely woman.
Deborah Gaspar
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well worth the read to see some insight to our first lady.
Donna
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this...but the poems aren't all Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis favorites. Caroline included her family's favorites. I did like the notes about each poem.
L.
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many of my favorite poems included here!
Shannon
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, favorites
Excellent collection. I loved the pictures.
Holli
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A nicely curated selection of classic poems
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Promised Land
  • Monet's Garden
  • The Elf of Union Square
  • Lucky Strikes
  • Be on Your Best Business Behavior
  • Early Grrrl: The Early Poems of Marge Piercy
  • The Power Of Focus
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • The Great Risk Shift: The Assault on American Jobs, Families, Health Care and Retirement and How You Can Fight Back
  • Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
  • Simply Sophisticated: What Every Worldly Person Needs to Know
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • Professionalism: Skills for Workplace Success
  • Father of Lions: One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More

Caroline Bouvier Kennedy is an American author and attorney. She is the daughter and only surviving child of U.S. President John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. An older sister, Arabella, died shortly after her birth in 1956. Brother John F. Kennedy, Jr. died in a plane crash in