Start by marking “Paideia Program” as Want to Read:
Paideia Program

Paideia Program

(Paideia)

A Simon & Schuster eBook
Published November 1st 1984 by Touchstone (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Paideia Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paideia Program

Start your review of Paideia Program
Nathan Albright
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Reading this book in many ways is like looking at a road not taken by our public educational system.  Faced with declining academic performance among the wide body of American youth, and the threat that an uneducated populace meant for faith in republican institutions in an age of rising economic instability, the cultured and sophisticated members of the Paideia group proposed a bold egalitarian appeal for the education of every child in the United States in a suite of skills and practice in a w ...more
Ardyth
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book to read. Not a page-turner, not a text that made me say, "yes, exactly!". I expected to give it three stars, actually, because I liked it but didn't love it.

Then I noticed how many dog-eared pages after my first read. Clearly, there is something there!

Targeting schools and teachers, but interesting for parents.
Meghan Davis strader
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the theory behind this program. It offers a very clear philosophy for teaching the various disciplines from young ages all the way through high school. The emphasis is on Socratic teaching where the teacher asks more questions than they answer. Already being of a classical education mindset, this felt like a natural continuation from The Well-Trained Mind into the practical areas of what a class session would look like. I found myself taking notes and will certainly refer to this book ...more
Sara
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great commentary on the need for classics driven curriculum and a return to classical education. The book is more of a handbook or resource than a philosophical work (it is the third book in a series, the other two deal with more of the "why" and this is the "how"). I gained quite a bit of useful ideas and plan to keep this on my shelf for regular reference. The book lists in the back of the book are of great value to anyone who has a hand in the education of young minds.
Angie Libert
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A great plea for quality education, rather than quantity education for our children, complete with a thorough Appendix of recommended books for kindergarten through 12th grade. It also explains the three means of education: didactic, coaching and Socratic by detailing goals, areas and percentage of application.
Robert
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of the Paideia Program. I learned of it during my MST program as I became a teacher. I believe this was required for a class. There's a paper around here somewhere that highlights my thoughts on the program at the time.

Adler and I do not agree a lot politically, but he and I are aligned, as I recall, educationally.
Tia
Apr 07, 2008 marked it as to-read
I've only read the first section of this book but I really connected with and enjoyed it. I was intrigued with the program, since it incorporated so many of my own ideals of educational excellence. Great for anyone that is or ever will be a teacher in any area!
Michael
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another in the Paideia method and educational reform manifesto. Still worth considering for school.
Bryan
Feb 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
If someone would only give me, say $100 million, I'd put Mr. Adler's program in to practice.
Talbot Hook
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The final book of the Paideia Trilogy, The Paideia Program is a wide survey of the collected thoughts and goals of the program. Unlike the first book, which laid out the philosophical, economic, and educational groundwork and impetus behind the program, and the second, which answered fundamental questions to clarify its end and process, this book is effectively concerned with what should be taught, how, when, and to what degree. While the first part contains yet another overview of the program a ...more
J Falvey
Jul 22, 2011
CherylAnn
Apr 30, 2016
Suzanne
rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2014
Amy
Apr 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Complete Poems
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • The Muqaddimah: An Introduction to History
  • The Problem With Interest
  • Recalling the Caliphate: Decolonisation and World Order
  • Muhammad: Vie Du Prophète:  Les Enseignements Spirituels Et Contemporains
  • How the States Got Their Shapes Too: The People Behind the Borderlines
  • The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
  • Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3)
  • The Prince
  • Zen in the Art of Archery
  • Silent Spring
  • Shobogenzo: Zen Essays by Dogen
  • Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children
  • Slade House
  • The Fall of Arthur
  • The Reader Over Your Shoulder: A Handbook for Writers of English Prose
  • To Double Business Bound: Essays on Literature, Mimesis and Anthropology
Mortimer Jerome Adler was an American educator, philosopher, and popular author. As a philosopher he worked with Aristotelian and Thomistic thought. He lived for the longest stretches in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and San Mateo. He worked for Columbia University, the University of Chicago, Encyclopædia Britannica, and Adler's own Institute for Philosophical Research.

Adler was born in N