Start by marking “Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education” as Want to Read:
Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education

Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
And, you fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4) In this passage, Paul requires Christian fathers to provide their children with a "paideia of the Lord." To the ancient world, the boundaries of paideia were much wider than the boundaries of what we understand as education. Far more is involve ...more
Published November 15th 2001 by Canon Press (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Paideia of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paideia of God

Adam T Calvert
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
This was a really good collection of essays on an interesting array of issues in the realm of Christian education. Doulas Wilson, in his usual somewhat snarky style, provides a thoughtful Biblical analysis in the chapters as follows:

1. The Paideia of God
A foundational essay concerning the Biblical mandate and understanding of Christian education.

2. Teaching Disadilities: Why Johnny Doesn't Learn Much Anymore
An assessment of what constitutes learning disabilities and who is really responsible for
Matthew Huff
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book from Wilson. Though the collection as a whole did not focus on the idea of paideia proper as much as I expected, I was quite pleased by a number of his essays, particular those on learning disabilities, classical Christian education, and, interestingly, the importance of school clothes.

Not a slammer, but certainly a triple.
Paul
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A foresighting of things to come, published in the previous century.
Seth Mcdevitt
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
If you plan on going to seminary, or sending your children to college, this book will benefit you.
Scarlett Sims
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education, essays
Ok, so I want to start out by saying I don't want to discount what Douglas Wilson has done for education and that I basically wouldn't have a job if not for the movement he has done so much to advance.
HOWEVER.
I was pretty unimpressed with a lot of this book. I have decided my feelings on Wilson are pretty similar to my feelings on Ayn Rand: I really like a lot of his ideas, he just takes them too far. I also feel like he likes pushing the envelope; that's not necessarily a bad thing. I just alwa
Josiah Richardson
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first Wilson book I've read that I wasn't thrilled about. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good material in here and it is a valuable resource for any intro into educational reform. But the formatting of the writing really discounted the writing itself. Hard to follow, random topics every other page, random book critiques and a random defense of the doctrines of grace. Again, good material, just a complete lack of flow. "Why Evangelical Churches aren't" was by far the best chapt ...more
Dustin
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first full-length book on education by Wilson I've read. I caught an interview he did about a year ago talking about the Classical Education movement, and I am sold on it now. If one is at all interested in the Classical Methods or educational reform, that one needs to read this book.

I also must now read his others on education. In due time of course.

And in closing, the essay on the importance of school clothing was surprisingly informative and interesting.
Logan
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, dw
If you're just starting to look into classical Christian education I'd start with Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson. This one has more focused chapters (essays) and some are a bit hard to keep up with. I think my comprehension level was at about 25% in chapter 6 :) That's not a bad thing though. It goes along with a point made in the book: the standard doesn't need be lowered, I need to rise up to it.
Sean Higgins
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
One of Wilson's earlier books about enculturating our students with love for Christ and also with love of learning about what Christ created. As usual, filled with hope and the need to get back to work.
James
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Christian education is not merely one that teaches how to pass the tests while having a 30 minute chapel session squeezed into the day. This book presents a whole educational stage as the world into which you immerse your kids.

Prime reading for Christian parents of school-aged young'ns.
Guy David
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent treatise on education and life. Much was covered that I did not expect (such as a brief defense of reformed theology). I highly recommend this one to any parent interested in a Christian education, or indeed, preserving (reforming) a Christian culture.
James
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was my second read through and don't remember when I read it first but it was just as good the second time and I definitely picked up more this time around. A must read for any parent or educator!
Steve
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2008
Great
Abrahamus
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Very, very good stuff here on Christian eduction—as an integral biblical concept and as a practically and pervasively applied theology.
Chris Comis
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edubacation
Another good one by Wilson on Christian education.
Caleb Ripple
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book, very insightful and provocative.
Sean McGowan
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Great.
Rick Davis
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good essays on education.
Sandy
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A good reminder for those of us in the Classical Christian "revolution"--education is more than facts; it is enculturation at every level.
Troy Martin
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Very Good. Interesting miscellany of educational concerns from unifroms to voutchers to learning disabilities.
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good.
Chris
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great collection of essays on classical Christian education.
Gwen Burrow
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
It's always good to read a book that explains to me exactly why I root for classical Christian education.
Steve Hemmeke
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
On education. Outstanding
Michael
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Great book.

A good way to kick off prep for deciding how to educate my kids. "The Great Logic Fraud" was worth the price of admission all by itself.
John
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is a collection of essays concerning Christian education. It is not as strong as "Repairing the Ruins" or "Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning" in my opinion, but is still very good.
Taylor Bradley
  • Beauty for Truth's Sake: The Re-Enchantment of Education
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
  • The Lost Tools of Learning
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Plowing in Hope: Toward a Biblical Theology of Culture
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • Norms and Nobility: A Treatise on Education
  • Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
I write in order to make the little voices in my head go away. Thus far it hasn't worked.
More about Douglas Wilson...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
    $9.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
“People who insist upon dressing casually also want to think casually. And in a fallen world, thinking casually means being wrong more often than not.” 2 likes