Start by marking “Hot and Bothered: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Hot and Bothered: A Novel

Hot and Bothered: A Novel

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
She’s offbeat, off balance, and at times off-the-wall, a late-thirties mother of two living in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and trying to figure out who she is now that her husband has left her. He’s a rat, anyway, and currently attends Sex Addicts Anonymous. He still comes by the house, though, as do her hippie, macrobiotic mother; her feisty, alcoholic best friend; her God- ...more
Published August 25th 2006 by Algonquin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hot and Bothered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot and Bothered

Susan E
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-read
This author has a connection to the place where I work... she and I were chatting one day, and she told me she was a writer... I realized I had seen this book around town (she is a VT author) and I was curious to read it.

I suppose this book would fall under the category of "chick lit," which sounds so dismissive. I like a lot of books that could be categorized as such, and this was one of them. Although it reminded me very much of Briget Jones Diary in the beginning, I soon saw the narrator as
Shannon
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christy
I pick up a lot of books at the discount book warehouse next to my office building. These books are frequently a crap shoot, but you can't beat the $3 price tag,and when you have a 3 hour commute, you stop caring as much what you read. That said, when I first started reading Hot And Bothered, I was afraid that I would be reading just another single woman finds male salvation tome. I also thought that finding a way to relate to a divorced mother of 2 would be extremely difficult.
You could say t
Trisha
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was aight. Goofy mindless story about a divorced mother with two annoying kids and one annoying ex-husband. She dips into a depression and emerges in pursuit of the real self that she lost somewhere after she found her husband. A couple of really hot age appropriate guys were pursuing her... despite the fact she had loads of baggage and was tethered to this ex who was paying all her bills. I thought she sounded like a hot mess. Lest I forget the the 20 year old that was interested in her moun ...more
Angel
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny!
Loved this book so much I shared it with three other people to read and each one of them enjoyed it.
Disappointed the author hadn't written any other books.
Courtney
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
LOVED this book. not your usual chic-lit. a very smart and well written read. and a vermont author!
Emily
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
It started out a little iffy to me, but I just had to get used to the style it was written. It's almost like blog speak, as if you are reading/hearing the narrator's thoughts. It's definitely a different type of writing style and I found myself really enjoying it. It was super funny, kinda frustrating, and hard to put down.
The main character whose name I do not believe is revealed until the very end is a recently divorced woman who hates her ex-husband known as Ex-Rat. He cheated on her for pro
Paula Nicholson
May 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a cute little novel. It was sort and was a relatively quick read. IT was about a woman who has recently divorced and she's trying to find herself. She is also trying to get back into the game. There is a cute guy at church that she is sort of stalking. Okay stalking is too harsh a word, she is day dreaming of doing naughty things to him but is too chicken to talk to him.............She comes to meet this guy in an unconventional way..........She is walking one day and sees a pile of lea ...more
Ghira
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
All my friends thought this was an erotic book...WRONG!

The beginning was soooooo boring that I put the book down several times in order to do more exciting things like clean my house, but eventually realized the author used this plot device to really show the tedium of the main character's life. I kept reading. Once the story got going it was fine, but I could never just let go and fully immerse myself into the story. And maybe that's what the writer wanted - us to feel disconnected like the ma
Rochelle
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women, older women, divorcees, moms
My first impression of this book was WRONG! I didn't like the style at first, short little chapters, ranting about her ex-husband. But, once I got into it, I loved the book! It was a very quick read, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I loved her quirky sense of style, and her honest, sometimes-defeatist attitude.
Although I have no personal experience with divorce, and found the rantings of her ex a little tiresome at times, it did have a place in the book, it was a great read!!
Lucy Sisk
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
When I saw this book for first time I told myself it looks pretty. I bought it and tahn I was like: Wow! I actually love it. It was new, refreshing, funny and I was smiling when I read the lines. The main character - I think there is enough word to express she is amazing. I like her mind and the way she handles her life.
Kirsten
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The title alone made me pick this book up out of the bargin bin! It was hilarious and had me laughing out loud many times! This is the story of Annie who thinks her life is over because she's divorced with 2 kids. This story talks about the men she meets, men she dates, how she deals with her parents, her ex-husband and her kids. We women can all relate somehow!
Rebecca Sofferman
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
This book was an entertaining read - great for summer! I think it's probably because of where I'm at in my own life at the moment, but the protagonist annoyed me for most of the book and I found the ending way too Hollywood. However, I really enjoyed the writing style and loved all the fun nicknames!
Juliebrahy
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great Summer beach read! Laugh out loud funny!
Jean
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is Annie's first book. We went to NYC as part of her book tour and stayed in The Plaza.
Cristin Galperin
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!
Ginny
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Finished this in a weekend's time. Thanks for the recommendation, Rochelle!
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! Funny, sweet, heroic, etc. Divorced mother's who wonder about their lives should read this book!
Mia
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
If you want to read about divorce and menopause...
Coleen
May 01, 2008
kia
rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2007
Pamela Harris
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book and I rarely like chick books.
Amy
Mar 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Can someone suggest a similar book? 1 4 Oct 21, 2008 08:17PM
great book! 1 9 Jun 12, 2008 07:26PM
Annie Downey is a regular contributor to Hip Mama and Vermont Woman. Her work has appeared in Harper’s magazine and the Utne Reader, as well as on NPR. She lives in rural Vermont.
More about Annie Downey...