Start by marking “Walt Whitman: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Walt Whitman: Selected Poems

Walt Whitman: Selected Poems

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,972 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Harold Bloom, author of "The Western Canon" and one of the world's most renowned literary critics, surveys Walt Whitman's vast poetic work, from early notebook fragments of "Song of Myself" to the late poems of "Good-bye My Fancy."
Published January 27th 2003 by Library of America (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Walt Whitman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walt Whitman

Mar 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, usa, 2009-read
I have read as much I could!
I have read apostrophes - long, exhaustive lists of apostrophes!
I have felt for the common man
I have felt for the common woman
Yet I have found myself skimming, and rarely pausing.

O these poems are coherent and distinctive.
O they have their moments and doubtless somewhere amongst their long sentences and long stanzas there are jewels.
But I now think of Whitman's contemporaries : of Robert Browning with longing, of Arnold with respect, and allow that even Tennyson may
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This selection of Whitman's poetry is divided into seven parts and includes the complete text of "Song of Myself"...

From I...

I am your voice - It was tied in you - In me it begins to talk.
I celebrate myself to celebrate every man and woman alive;
I loosen the tongue that was tied in them,
It begins to talk out of my mouth.

I celebrate myself to celebrate you:
I say the same word for every man and woman alive.
And I say that the soul is not greater than the body,
And I say that the body is not greater
JD Estrada
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While some writers are skilled at capturing a moment, others write across the ages and feel as relevant today as ever. That was my experience reading Walt Whitman. A feminist existentialist poet with no filters who wrote from the deepest of himself to show reflections on faith, morality, spirituality, sexuality, war, life, cities, love, joy, and a whole slew of topics in a way that I had to keep checking his bio.

That the words resonate so much are amazing enough... that his writing and my readi
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, poetry, library
Minä ihan tosissani yritin. Odotin pitäväni tästä, koska lyhyitä (pääasiassa englanninkielisiä) Whitman-sitaatteja on tullut vastaan paljon, ja niiden viehättävyyden takia tähänkin kirjaan tartuin.

Valitettavasti ainakaan suomeksi nämä "demokraattisen Amerikan suuren kansallisrunoilijan" runot eivät ihan uponneet. Yli 90-sivuinen Laulu itsestäni takelteli jo pahasti, toinen osa (Adamin lapset) lähinnä ällötti, eikä sen pohjakosketuksen jälkeen lopuilla runoilla enää paljon pelastettu.

Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My only complaint is that there weren't more poems in this book.
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is not much to say that hasn't already been said on Walt Whitman.

His poetry is striking, intimate, and intense. It reveres the wonder of the human body and of life itself, along with the things that people do with bodies, from work to sex. Bloom's commentary is piercing and illuminating.

Read it. Enjoy it. I know I have. In some ways, I guess, we all have enjoyed what Whitman describes: a summer day, a lover's touch, a yearning to be more than what we are.

I celebrate myself, and sing myse
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His poems are very hard to read, but occasionally there were things that were said that stuck out dramatically. I loved how he talked about war time.
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think it is wonderfull
Rachel Lohman
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walt Whitman’s purpose for writing these poems was to allow people to see how he felt about what was going on in his life at that time. In “I Sing the Body Electric,” it is very obvious to see that Whitman valued the individual as a whole throughout his life. He separates genders of male and female and then lists why each is valued. Through this, the reader can see that he is admiring the individualism of each person and the traits that they possess. Questions at the beginning of this poem ask, ...more
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
والت ویتمن برای شعر آمریکا چیزی در حد نیما برای شعر فارسی است و همراه ادگار آلن پو از بانیان شعر نو و آزاد آمریکا هستند که شاعرانی مانند گینزبرگ و سن ژون پرس و بسیاری دیگر را تحت تاثیر قرار داده اند

جدای ماجراجویی ویتمن برای عبور از خط قرمزهای جامعه و فضای شعری بسته دوران خود نگاه انسانی او نیز بزرگ و ستایش برانگیز است وقتی می بینی سال ها قبل شاعری به نمایندگی از مردم آمریکا در شعرش به شهرها و کوه ها و دشت های جهان سفر می کند و زندگی و اقوام را می ستاید و وقتی در تهران مهمان ما می شود

سلام به دنیا
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: whitman
For Harold Bloom, there are six major poems ("Song of Myself," "The Sleepers," "Elemental Drifts," "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry," the Keatsian ode, and the elegy for Lincoln), comprising 133 pp. of this 220 pp. Selected. Then, as is the habit of Whitman editors for generations, now, Bloom has the notion to put together an ur Leaves, one that begins -- as Whitman himself jettisoned the prose preface in 1860 and frontispieces a "Proto Leaf" -- with the draft-notes from a 1921 Doubleday edition Leaves ...more
Out of the rolling ocean the crowd came a drop gently to me,
Whispering, I love you, before long I die,
I have travell’d a long way merely to look on you to touch you,
For I could not die till I once look’d on you,
For I fear’d I might afterward lose you.

Now we have met, we have look’d, we are safe,
Return in peace to the ocean my love,
I too am part of that ocean, my love, we are not so much separated,
Behold the great rondure, the cohesion of all, how perfect!
But as for me, for you, the irresistible
I pretty much enjoyed getting to know Whitman. At times he was pretty verbose! Many of the poems I read out loud. They just sound better that way. There is such rhythm and lovely sounds of syllables singing.
The Lilac poem is very poignant. Dim lit churches, shuddering organs, tolling, tolling bells' perpetual vivid. I like how each section will use the same word to start each line. Also the repeat of certain words just emphasizes the mood.

He seemed to enjoy celebrating America and t
Kirstin Elaine Myers
My son Kane called me last night and asked if I would be his second pair of eyes for his papers he has to write this weekend. The first is one on Walt Whitman, whom my mother loves: From the time I was just a toddler, she was raving about him to me, reading bits of him, etc. Today she told me she has part of his poem about Animals on her wall. So I decided to take the two Walt Whitman books I have on my shelf and read them. I think I have only scanned them in the past as a kind of homage to my m ...more
Matthew Dambro
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very good Whitman poetry in this collection; not his best, but some good things. A pantheist or Pagan at heart, he seems to try to take in everything and give it back to us. He can be enormously touching in Leaves of Grass. His stanzas on death are awe inspiring. In the end, he is in love with language as language. Words are diamonds for him and he sees his job as arranging those precious stones in a perfect necklace.
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know how to describe Walt Whitman's writings. I personally love them, but then I love poetry and for those who don't it could be difficult or so reading. He wrote in free verse so there is little rhyming in his poetry, what I would call conversational writing. Again his first poem was published in 1855 and written in the cultural language of that time. If you read it slowly, immerse yourself in the meaning of the words, you will have a great experience.
A glimpse through an interstice caught,
Of a crowd of workmen and drivers in a bar-room around the stove late of a winter night, and I unremark’d seated in a corner,
Of a youth who loves me and whom I love, silently approaching and seating himself near, that he may hold me by the hand,
A long while amid the noises of coming and going, of drinking and oath and smutty jest,
There we two, content, happy in being together, speaking little, perhaps not a word.
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short, poetry
Whitman is a poet who needs to be read slowly and deliberately, in a setting that allows for the reader to concentrate on the task at hand (take it from someone who read this on a city bus full of gossips). I should probably reread this in the future in order to understand this better, but for now, three stars.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whitman, whoa. A powerful, taxing, energetic, enthusiastic, heartfelt poet, I get why he has such a command over his domain. This collection demands calm focus for deep understanding, not to be read when unready. A brilliant poet who opened my mind to so many sensations with words alone, I can't recommend this enough.
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterful and intoxicating, with an incredible use of language...deeply emotional, and so American it should be required reading for all school children. I go back to Whitman whenever I need inspiration, and he always delivers.
Ed D'Arcy Hatton
Dover publications offer an amzing selection. How they ever manage to do it I will never know, but they do, and the quality is really goof. I am not saying the paper it is printed on will last, but it's a batgain non the less!! Buy cheaply from Dover. Highly recommended.
Megan Gery
If it took me a long time to get through this anthology, it's because Whitman is so hit or miss for me. When I feel it, I'm in love. The rest of the time, he makes me a little bit uncomfortable. His elegies are breathtaking, and "The Sleepers" is mesmerizing.
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Bloom masterfully strings poems by this prolific American poet together that give not only an historical perspective, but also a sense of artistry within the book itself. Beautiful.
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love it.
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, classics
Kiehtovia kuvia niin yksilön suhteesta maailmaan kuin yhteiskunnasta laajemminkin. Paikoin jopa päällekäyvää seksuaalisuutta, mutta ei silti häiritsevissä määrin. Intiimiä, rujoa ja suorapuheista.
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: شعر
با بسیاری از شعر ها نتونستم هیچ ارتباطی برقرار کنم.
Sean Evans
Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) by Walt Whitman (1991)
Ananta Pathak
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what more to say about the great Whitman. this collection has some of his best poems.
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Had to read his poem on the annivesary of Abe Lincolns death and the poem on liliacs since they are in bloom! Bought this one for my collection~
Finally taking these books off the shelf to read 1 4 Jan 31, 2009 07:59AM
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • The Palm at the End of the Mind: Selected Poems and a Play
  • James Madison: Writings
  • Bartleby and Benito Cereno
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99

“I will be your poet, I will be more to you than to any of the rest.” 12 likes
“When the full-grown poet came,
Out spake pleased Nature (the round impassive globe, with all
its shows of day and night,) saying, He is mine;
But out spake too the Soul of man, proud, jealous and unreconciled,
Nay, he is mine alone;
— Then the full-grown poet stood between the two, and took each by the hand;
And to-day and ever so stands, as blender, uniter, tightly holding hands,
Which he will never release until he reconciles the two,
And wholly and joyously blends them.”